BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I respect how hard "our" baymen have to work to harvest those bunker.:thumbsup: When I consider what it costs to maintain a boat...I will pay the going rate for bait.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i find it more than ironic that when i take a "shoobie" friend out fishing i say i can only guarantee you brown sharks and bunker.. any other fish we will have to work hard and get lucky... the fish i can catch without fail are heavily regulated(bunker) and browns are off limits

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Some New Jersey fishermen are likely to feel a sense of sticker shock with their first bunker purchase this season. As the fishing season heats up, so will the prices - all due to supply/demand under the states new harvest limitations. I wrote about the situation we are seeing so far this season at http://moneyislandmarina.com/whats-up-with-bunker-this-year.html.
Tony, I don't understand your logic. The regulations are the same as they were last Fall, unless I am unaware of something new. We obtained the bunker license last season and reported our transactions with the commercial netters. Unless something changes, our prices will remain the same as last Fall.
Also, in response to your website about quality of bait, our bait is kept cold from the time it leaves the ocean and or bay until goes in our customers cooler.:)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Supply and Demand will drive the prices. When bunker hits $2.50 -$3.00 each people will not fish (can't blame em). At that point shops will sit on bait, freeze it and realize that it's too much. Price will come down as the market adjusts.
?? I remember back sometime in the 90's Fresh Bunker was going for $4.00 (some disease in certain parts off NJ) and STILL was hard to find fresh before it was sold out by 8 a.m. everyday! AND -unless you ordered from a b+t where the owner knew you- the 'fresh' came in the afternoon before after being trucked from miles away-actually day-old bait when you bought it in the morning. NO ONE stopped fishing ! (all of SOUTH JERSEY and up the D Bay)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Some New Jersey fishermen are likely to feel a sense of sticker shock with their first bunker purchase this season. As the fishing season heats up, so will the prices - all due to supply/demand under the states new harvest limitations. I wrote about the situation we are seeing so far this season at http://moneyislandmarina.com/whats-up-with-bunker-this-year.html.

I have not paid more than $2 per fish this year...usually $1.75
Looks like I'll not be buying bait at Money Island Marina...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
they are referring to netters that do not have ha permit which are only allowed to land 100 lbs. money island bait is decent.no it does not come from me i sell out everyday but ice and gas is definetly more expensive so bait has to reflect.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Fisherman that work the water for a living deserve more money than they sell the bait for.
Yes they do deserve more$$ it such a same the bait shops rip them off....pay them like $.75 per fish or less...then sell them to us for $2 Hell of a mark up...

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
seems to me money island is putting this out there to justify there price.. the prices at the shop are more because of storage, waste if not sold fresh it becomes frozen and usually cheaper..

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes they do deserve more$$ it such a same the bait shops rip them off....pay them like $.75 per fish or less...then sell them to us for $2 Hell of a mark up...
I don't own a bait shop, but I think you have to factor in that they take the risk of not selling all of it/spoilage as well as no-shows for reserved orders. I doubt the netters give refunds for unsold bunker.

If you say that amounts to 1 out of every 2 bunker bought over the year by the bait shop, eventually getting tossed in the trash, then it adds to their cost. If I'm right, then their cost is actually $1.50 per sold fish versus a price of $2 - that's not much markup for all the work that they do!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Get a cast net and net your own.......takes a little getting used to throwing a large cast net with 15lbs of lead but once you get the hang of it.......deadly. Hardest part is sneaking up on them and having a little patience.

·
Registered
838 Posts
wait and see what chum sells for

1, bunker chum fresh c mon
2, mackerel what mackerel?
3. bluefish what bluefish and further more they are not considered bait but food mark up

support the shops that support the game

·
Registered
838 Posts
oh yea by the way bunker are probally the most important species in the food chain and ecosystem next to plankton eliminate them and the ocean is in trouble

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
A buddy of mine had 2 stake nets set yesterday and got nearly 500 bunker in his nets,the bay is presently full of bunker!:thumbsup: So I can't see bunker pricing skyrocketing anytime soon!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts