BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyones weakfish season has turned out? After reading all the concerns last year it seemed many were worried about our weakfish stocks.
This year was by no means a banner year for me but I have seen plenty of weakfish around and caught more over 10lbs than ever before. Over the last month I have seen plenty of our smaller summer weakfish (12-25 inches), they seem pretty thick right now.
One trip last week I got 47 weakfish all 13-25 inches. Most nights I can count on a limit catch and I have seen plenty of spike weakies around.
I also noticed lots of 2-4 inch weakfish being spit out by larger weakfish, leading me to believe we had a good spawning season.
How would you guys rate the weakfish this year?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
You guys seeing any size?
I heard good reports of lots of spikes but we have seen that happen a few times the apst few years but the tiderunenrs never seemed to show up.

I'm still concerned. I think the next stock assesment comes out in November.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I never saw the tiderunners in the boat or from the jetties at the point like in past years. There were some caught by others but in the south jersey area it was much less than in the past. Small spikes were around, but I didn't target them much this year.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank, About The Same For Me This Year....
Granted I Didn't Target Them As Much As In
Year's Past,But I Did Not Have Any Problem
Finding TideRunner's In A Few Different Spots
During the Spring and The Smaller Schools In
The Summer Did Have A Little Bit More Size To
Them.... Good Signs I Quess....

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by Far26:

How would you guys rate the weakfish this year?
I'd have to give this Spring a "Two Striper Thumbs Up"! We caught and released some real "slobs"

Dave "I'd rather be pluggn" Gabriel with a 13#'er

I really didn't put a lot of effort into catching'em this summer so I won't comment on the summer fishery.

Regarding those big spring fish...I hope that wasn't the last of the big fish from the 90's stock.

I guess we'll find out next spring

[ 10-08-2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My observation is that there is a major gap in size. Lots of very small fish and a few big ones, but what should be the most common sizes are absent (3-7 lbs). Definitely not a healthy situation, but these guys may bounce back as quickly as they disappeared. Question is, what the heck made 'em disappear?

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Originally posted by NJAngler Bill:
Question is, what the heck made 'em disappear?
Ah...the "Million Dollar" question!

I agree with ya on the size gaps. Out of the 40+ fish we caught this past spring our smallest fish was 8#. Lot's of 9 + 10 # fish with a few 12 + 13's thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
31,156 Posts
Every year we see huge schools of spikes move down the beach, they never seem to return though. I think the fishery is as bad as ever. That spring run of good sized fish is all that's holding them afloat for breeders.

·
Registered
920 Posts
As far as the tiderunners go, did see a few caught/catch a few in the OC/SP area this Spring, but it seems like the last two years there's been a drop in the number of breeders around....Also noticed a greater percentage of guys keeping the breeders....Saw one guy hauling three 10#-plus fish off the beach in May (a little excessive if you ask me....)....but definetely the spikes are around in great numbers, which is encouraging....Mike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Spring time was fair for weakies. It has picked up the last couple of days with bigger fish off OC in about 40 -45 ft of water late in the day off Lucy. 150 off GE Bell.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
well, i see in the future the weakfish will be better, i use a cast net off the dikes by my marina and i catch tons of small weakfish!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Far26, been killing the weakfish for a few weeks now. Last night caught close to 50 fish in 3 hrs. All 12-20inches. Bluefish seemed to have thinned out a bit as well. The Spring was a bust for my usual spots. The fish were there but the run was very short and the numbers down. I've stopped trying to guess why. Sometimes the stars line and sometimes they don't I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts