BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the preferred method is for attaching a stinger (trailing) hook to a bucktail, when you want to use a long strip bait without getting bit off.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Just wondering what the preferred method is for attaching a stinger (trailing) hook to a bucktail, when you want to use a long strip bait without getting bit off.

I have some stuff called Toothy Critter its really flex Stainless steel braided wire..You can tie it to the lead of a Jig head or crimp it on and add your hook any length you want. Here is an example.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I use it mostly for rigging eels on the swimming jig shown dead eels with a rigging needle. You can use it for gulp eels too. If the eel is alive and want to keep him pinned just of the rocks I'll use a fishfinder weight. Or a harness rig. But it works great for flounder with bigger strip baits too.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Capt, a simple piece of mono tied to the bend of the jig and than to the hook.

Or

Stinger hook that is used for vertical jigs. I forgot the manufacturer but they have a red colored cord to them. Just run the hook through the loop of itself and pull tight.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys

Capt, a simple piece of mono tied to the bend of the jig and than to the hook.
Or
Stinger hook that is used for vertical jigs. I forgot the manufacturer but they have a red colored cord to them. Just run the hook through the loop of itself and pull tight.
Thanks. I've been doing it with the simple piece of mono method, but often needs to be retied after one or two fish. Like the idea of the coated wire or the "assist hooks." Tried a siwash hook, but it didn't give me enough length for my strip bait.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Thanks. I've been doing it with the simple piece of mono method, but often needs to be retied after one or two fish. Like the idea of the coated wire or the "assist hooks." Tried a siwash hook, but it didn't give me enough length for my strip bait.
The stinger hook is a gamakatsu assist 510, the stinger looks like about 3 long from bend to end of loop.

·
Registered
572 Posts
We usually tie our stingers with 20lb mono snelled to 4/0 or 5/0 gammi with a surgeon's loop that gets girth hitched over the bucktail hook. I stick them in a piece of pool noodle in a container to keep them from tangling up. We have been tying up ones with lighter line also trying to cut down on bucktail loss on the real snagy fluke spots. I would rather lose a stinger than a 4.00 bucktail. If we have to replace the stinger more often that's not a problem just cut the hook of the mangled leader put it in the container take it home and tie up into a new one.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
The Toothy Critter is Stainless wire so it doesn't rust a Plus! You could just tie it on but I like to use a crimp because the crimp helps to keep it from getting tangled up If the jig has a 3.0 hook I use a 2.0 hook for the stinger, You have to have a good crimper, and leave a small tag end so it doesn't slip. The package in the picture is 20 lb about the diameter of 10 lb test. and I use I've been using it for about 7 yrs, and haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I use heavier leader material to make them lay straight and snell my own with 5/0 gami hooks, make them whatever length you need for the short/long strip baits:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts