BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was flipping through the Bass fishing catalog the other day and i was looking through the catfish stinkbaits and power chunks etc. and i wondered if these could be used for stripers, seems to me they could be pretty effective anybody ever try them in the salt?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
FlukeRat,
Honestly,I never heard of anybody using them
as bait for Stripers.But I believe A Bass will
just about eat anything in his/her path....
If it smells good and looks good.Look Out...
My first Bass Ever ate a stinky Piece of Squid.....

Give Them a Shot and Let Us Know How You
Make Out... Thanks,,

[ 01-09-2004, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Flukerat , I was fishing in the little egg river 2 years ago for catfish and caught 3 stripers on chicken livers 28in,29in,31in ,in the spring before the herring started to run ,so I think the catfish bait would work also ,Regards Steve

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I think they would work also. I used to fish the Delaware river up around Commodore Barry and Philadelphia. I used to bass fish with worms and watched guys nailing bass on chicken gizzards and livers. If it swims, wiggles, crawls, slithers is alive or smells, I believe bass will eat it.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Lets see......chicken catches weakies.......bacon strips catch flounder......nothing swims in the water that even looks close to a bucktail......I'd say give it a try. And then give a report on the hottest new spring stiper bait. :D

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
As a kid I fished on the Delaware River banks at the Morton Homestead memorial park (Rt.420 & I95), I used fresh chunks of chicken livers and 1/2inch to 5/8inch (not ounce) hardware nuts as sinkers. We used to catch a ton of small stripers and big catfish.

Once a chunker, always a chunker!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
RottnCaptn Looks like we have come along way. I remember when I was a kid, buying hooks in a box and tying them cause the snelled hooks were too expensive and doing the same thing with nuts, bolts and punch outs from electrial boxes as sinkers. Caught lots of fish on an old zebco cheapy rod and reel. All good memories.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
R C Did the same thing when I was young. Bought a box of hooks, caused the snelled ones where too expensive and used nuts and bolts and punch outs from electical boxes as sinkers with my trusty push button zebco 202. Had lots of fun and caught lots of fish. Great memories. That was back when we used to call the river the Smellaware cause of all the crude oil and junk. I was always introuble tracking in crude oil in on the bottem of shoes.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:
sorry for the double post, I didn't see the first one took.
CMR,

I did'nt see it either!

Yeah, they were the simple days of life. One fresh tub of chicken livers cost me about 60 cents. I don't think I ever spent over $3.00 to go fishing then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.