BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I was bored. But it never hurts to see inside the beast. So here are several studies on stomach contents, which happen to intrigue me.

Of particular interest to me is the number of crustaceans and white perch being found in bass. Seems as menhaden and other prey fish dwindle in number a large number of crabs and perch are becoming the latest fair.

I typically use clams and bloods in the spring, but I was wondering... Has anybody here had great success fishing with crabs for striper? Anyone using imitation crab or lobster lures?

Seems as though live lining white perch would work quite well too. I know spot works well. Has anybody used white perch?

I'll stop now since I tend to be a little obsessive compulsive. :rolleyes:

============================================
Chesapeake Bay
"results from the examination of stomach contents from 47 Striped Bass caught in the Choptank River and Chesapeake Bay from 9/16/97 to 11/31/97. Fish ranged in size from 18" to 28" total length, consisting of 89% males"

"Historically their diet is seasonal, comprising of bay anchovy and Atlantic menhaden in the summer and fall, and juvenile spot and Atlantic croaker throughout the winter. During the early spring their forage almost entirely consists of white perch with blueback herring and alewife becoming available to them in late spring and early summer."

http://www.chesbay.org/stripedBass/

===============================================
Seagrass bed in the York River, VA

http://www.vims.edu/bio/sav/bluecrabpred/

RESULTS:

Seven species of fish were collected in total during a 12 hour sampling effort on October 20
[snip]
Striped bass were the most abundant of the three species (76 individuals collected in 12 hours), followed by croaker (28) and red drum (20). Mean sizes of striped bass, croaker, and red drum and were 17.6 ( 44.8 cm), 11.8 (27.7 cm), and 15.4 (38.6 cm) inches, respectively (Figure 2). A significantly higher percentage of the three species were collected during the night at high tide (2100 hrs; Figure 3). Large numbers of predatory fish were also caught at 1200 hrs. during the daytime falling tide. Few individuals were found in the nets at the low tides times (1500 and 1800), though red drum were common in the 1800 hr. sample.

One hundred percent of red drum contained an average of 4.5 ( + 2.8) juvenile blue crabs in their stomachs, whereas 60.5% of the striped bass had consumed 2.3 (+ 1.6) juvenile crabs on average at the time they were caught and 35.7% of the croaker averaged 1.4 (+ 0.7) crabs in their guts (Figure 4). Of the remaining striped bass and croaker that did not consume blue crabs, 14.5 and 39.3%, respectively, had empty stomachs, while 13.2 and 25%, respectively, contained food items other than blue crabs (Figure 4). The average size of blue crabs consumed by striped bass striped bass (23.0 mm) and red drum (22.0 mm) was significantly larger than the average size of crabs inhabiting the grass bed (12.0 mm; Figure 5).

Over 60% of the striped bass, 100% of red drum, and 34% of the croaker contained blue crabs in their stomachs.

----

(On another note: the study also had some interesting data that showed all the predator fish moving out of the grassbed shallows between Oct 20 and Nov 5 when the first cold front moved in. Something I'm sure many are aware of but it's interesting to receive confirmation of fish movement.)

===============================================

"Price, who has been analyzing the stomach contents of the fish for years, said few of the adult striped bass that he examined this year contained bay anchovy or menhaden - the main food source for adult rockfish. Instead, he said, blue crab and white perch - which are not as desirable because they contain less fat - have become more prevalent in their stomachs."

http://www.bayjournal.com/97-12/bass.htm

===========================================

[ 03-29-2004, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: sunnydaze ]

·
Registered
524 Posts
2 slices of papa john's.
1 granola bar...

oh, sorry, wrong beast. Haven't been out yet...will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
SunnyD-
a guy I know catches white perch in the upper bay somewhere- prob a creek and live lines them for stripers.

There have been some bites where the schoolie stripers will only bite sheddar crabs. I've caught a few myself, while weak fishing.

Give it a shot!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
On a weekend outing last Dec. we had 6 bass from the rips 4 had butterfish in their stomache...anybody ever find butters in rip fish ?they were whole and hadnt started to degrade at all !!!!!Vinny

·
Registered
808 Posts
I remember dumping a whole flat of butters overboard late fall. They were given to me by the bait shop. Maybe there is a conection/

CHILLY

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I use to fish the Delaware River in the spring using blood worms and live eels and did real well with some decent size fish. Tried many times using small white perch and never caught a bass on one. I know they eat them but I never had any luck. Has anyone had luck live lining perch?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
CHILLY,I dont know!!!!Dec.Migration time starting,kinda got me thinking ,when i seen those butters...some other things i have found in stripers...Red Hake(ling),Sea Robin,Croakers,Spider Crab,Manta Shrimp,and the usuals.......Vinny

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well as some of you know we do alot of fish cleaming at Hand's and I have seen alot of things in the guts, spots croakers hake blues weaks eels sand eels herring tog, spider crabs green crab blue and sand crabs whole conchs shell and all. white perch is something we have experiemented with, they are difficult to keep alive in cages and i've given plenty away for guys to experiment with and have only known of a few fish caught on them. Butterfish is a very common bycatch in De bay nets and there are times I have been able to get enough to sell fresh and have even had them in cages for live. The guy that took the live off shore crushed the yellowfin on them. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hey Tim thanks for clearing that up about the butter fish in the bay,what time of year is this common Tim.Thanks.Vinny

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i have used white perch in the del river but.... i cut em up and use one side at a time they must be drawn by the scent of blood in the water oh yeah this is a great catfish bait too !!!!!!

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Sea Devil I caught bass cutting the perch up too, I can't understand why I have had no luck live lining them. I even tried trimming pointed dorsal fin too with no success.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Vinny usually we find butters mixed in with the bunker early in the stiper run. but they show up usually in august, with the highest concentrations during the migrations south and out of the bay, so it has alot to do with water temps and daylight. I've seen them thick in the rips big balls of butters with birds on top and bass and blues under .Thanks Tim

·
Registered
303 Posts
I caught a 20lb rock fish last june in the chester river near rock hall md that had a 1 lb cat fish in its stomach. If you looked in the fishes mouth you could see the tail sticking out of its throat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts