BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody ever fishies on the 83rd street bay, off the little pier thing...Fished there last year and caught only dogfish, ate all the clam i had, i was wondering what artificials are best in the back bay for stripers and flatties...thanks

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I have caught a few bass there but most of the time it is slow there.
Try fishing the south end of Stone Harbor. Try the bridge there and try the sod banks in the surrounding area.

As far as back bay artificials, each guy usually has their own favortites. One that many guys here like are pink Zooms on a jighead.
I use them along with other soft plastics like Fin-S. They work for me when fishing for bass, fluke, blues, and weakfish.
My favortie back bass artificials are 4" and 6" Bombers. I use them when fishing the sod banks.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Im pretty sure you can park your car inbetween the 50 cent and the free bridge and walk out on the sod bank...I could be wrong tho. barnaby is that correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to fish the Surf Side try 122nd St jetty or 114th St jetty. I am trying to find out about them supposedly being covered by sand per another poster. Beach restoration or not I have been Fishing there for 20+ years and never saw that...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Phil:
Im pretty sure you can park your car inbetween the 50 cent and the free bridge and walk out on the sod bank...I could be wrong tho. barnaby is that correct?
That is correct, you can park and walk out onto the sod bank...be careful, many are undercut so stay away from the edges, wear boots as the area is muddy and wet.....
Capt. Phil...thanks for the shout out the other nite on 147...Ive had that sticker on my truck for at least a year and thats the first time anyone has acknowledged it...LOL...

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey Philly. I was just there today. Took a little ride through town to see how the Oh my god what do those people do to make that kind of money live. :D :D :D

Nice little pier and looks like it would be decent for fishing. A few years ago I did see some guys in the spring do well on herring from the pier. If you fish in May and June you should be able to catch more than sharks.

Good fishing between the bridges along the sod bank. I use two rods. Onr throwing artificials and one with a float with bait.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Originally posted by chunking:
Hey Philly. I was just there today. Took a little ride through town to see how the Oh my god what do those people do to make that kind of money live. :D :D :D
LOL, Building a house in SH and the other day a car pulls up out front in the street. The passenger window goes down and the woman yells out, " Is that a spec house or custom?" LOL. There was smoke comming out of the window from the money burning a hole in their pockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All. I'm new to the barn, this is my first post. I have fished the Stone Harbor, Avalon and Sea Isle City area for many years. Last Fall I went to fish the 114th street jetty, and to my amazement it was completley covered by sand. That was a great fishing spot.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
pjdbigfish,

Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard............

Yep,It's A Every Changing Enviorment Down Here
At The Jersey Shore for the LandBased Fishermen.
Both By Natural and Un-Natural Developements...

Enjoy,,,,

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
I've had luck catching weakies during the fall at night there. Used peanut bunker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry for asking so many questions i just want to get as much info before stiper season starts...when fishing the sod banks in the stone harbor back bay do i cross the free bridge on 96th and park on that side of the bay or should i stay on the stone harbor side and park between the 96th street bridge and the 50 cent bridge and access it from there and are there any type of sepcial sod banks i should be looking for...thanks for all of your help...and i hope to see you guys out there fishing sometime...it won't be long now...im starting to get excited

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
I usually park on the North Wildwood side of the the Free Bridge. Also, try the sod banks near the North Wildwood Toll Bridge.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Lets keep these spots on the DL, maybe a little less specific, if you know what I mean...
Email is a useful resource... And I would hate for somebody to be infaltrated with the weekend warriors after reading this.
Where are the SPOT POLICE!!??

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
The sod banks in that area are pretty big. I have fished there for awhile and have never had any crowding probelms.

And those who fish there often know where the SPOTS are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Bigfish!! The 114th St Jetty was my favorile place for Snapper Blues and Kings in early Summer. I cannot believe it is Under sand. The Beach there must be 200 yds out there...Did you notice the same at 117th and 122nd down at the end???? The High Tide used to get up to within 20 yds of the Steps to the Beach at 144th. They must have covered the Storm Sewer Drain Pipe that goes out along the South side of the Jetty too.
Oh well !! That was last Fall maybe winter changed that. If not a good Trough off the Southeast corner of the Jetty is probably gone forever.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
frt--- hope you are joking. im ot a surf guy, however, i would love to know where the 144th st. steps are??? that must be some penssy term for n. wildwood??? not tryin to be a wise guy, im just a little curious where u are talking about???
other than that snappers and kings are not my forte. i prefer the back water for the bass that are there all the time. the spots mentioned above do get crowded with weekend warriors (wave runners and people tryin to fish). this sod bank used to be great all the time --- now it is just another place i stay away from during high traffic times.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Philly I grew up in Stoneharbor and I want to tell ya there are several places for you to fish. That peer its not what you call a producer for your efforts. I would head South towards the free bridge area. They just finished it and it has areas on both sides you can fish. This is what I call a producer. The area all along the sod banks is something you want to walk during the day if your not familar with them. They change every year and before you head out alone you may want to investigate first. There is some nice shallows on the stoneharbor side and on the other side some nice deep holes. I generally use a pinky and black and purple bomber depending on the feeding conditions there. The grass shrimp are plentyful and its near an inlet so the the stripers sure have it easy at times here. There are alot of places to roam in Stoneharbor for the big fish but usally these sod banks are producers. but please be careful and dont wonder out alone if you dont know the area. You can rent a boat during the day and get some medium flounder at the bridge there to. Enjoy your fishing and hope I was helpful in answering your question.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts