BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the weather for this weekend and it does not look very nice. With that being said we need to move the boat from Somers Point to Cape May this weekend and we were thinking about the ICW. The only place I was not sure of for clearance was the Stone Harbor Bridge. Does anyone know the clearance on this bridge. We have a 2870 Pursuit CC with a hardtop and radar. Worst case we tough it out and run the ocean, but why get beat up if you don't have to. Anyone with experience running under this bridge we would greatly appricate some info. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is always an option. I just hate to wait. I was hoping to sneak under it will the riggers and antennas down, but that is always a possibility as a last resort. Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Draw bridge on 96th St. If you are talking about the Ocean Drive Bridges I think one opens and one doesnt but that may have changed since the bridge was redone last summer. You can always bang a right just before the first Ocean Drive bridge and come up the intercoastal that way. I dont remember the buoy#. The channel is marked well. Just watch the point there it has a tendancy to build up sand. Your best bet is high tide since Grassy Sound can get tricky if you stray even alittle outside the markers. Chunkin or BiggestJack could probably tell you more info than me. Good Luck! Hope you slay some CM Rips Stripers!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. If the fishing in Cape May is anything like it was this spring I can't wait. From reading the reports on here I can't wait to get down there. Stipers here we come. Wind or no wind!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. If the fishing in Cape May is anything like it was this spring I can't wait. From reading the reports on here I can't wait to get down there. Stipers here we come. Wind or no wind!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
96th st. or Stone Habor Blvd. bridge doesn't have much clearance especially from mid to high tide. With a 28 you may need the bridge opened, but you may be okay with low tide. Bridge opening shouldn't be a problem on the weekend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are great. Ask a question and in less then a hour you have all the information you could possibly need. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Originally posted by Fish4Life:
You can always bang a right just before the first Ocean Drive bridge and come up the intercoastal that way. I dont remember the buoy#. The channel is marked well. Just watch the point there it has a tendancy to build up sand.
Be careful at this spot. After making your turn at the last red marker, make sure you hug the sod bank on your port side down to the next green marker. The sand shoals up quickly on your starboard side. I see many boats stuck there every weekend. Stay to the left of the channel right off the bank and you will have deep water. Just some local knowledge to share with you. I do believe you will have to raise the 96th. St. bridge with a boat your size. No problem on weekends though. Channel 13.

[ 10-21-2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Rageboat ]

·
Registered
815 Posts
At that bridge, we have about 2-3 feet clearance with rigger/antennas down. It is certainly a tight fit. I thought the clearance range was roughly 9-13 feet, and we had your same questions last year. I think in off-season they have limited hours for bridge opening. Its best to try and call ahead. Unfortunately, you would want a low tide for the bridge, but a high tide for the area Rageboat talks about, about 3/4 mile south of there where the ICW bends to the right where the waterway narrows. It is deceiving at first, and you will think someone moved the bouys. It is almost a 90 degree turn. As Rage said, any error will quickly show on your sounder, but there is plenty of water in the channel. Best bet is to purchase the large Intercoastal Chart, which goes from at least Ocean City to Cape May. I have made this run a few times before and the chart is great. Also give yourself plenty of time, I think it is like a 2 hr ride.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Call Cape May County Bridge Department at 609-465-1035 business hours, 609-368-4591, nights, weekends, Holidays.

They can tell you opening schedule and vertical clearance at MLW

On the water, hail VHF ch. 13 at Marker 406 96th St Bridge, "request opening, ETA 20mins." That should get the bridgetender plenty time to wake up and get the gates down in time for your arrival.

BTW- Extra high tides this weekend
BTW2- Bridge been having some opening/closing problems again - CALL for status.

FYI - Low tide transit, use caution (watch those channel markers) in the following areas:

Markers 340-350 Ludlam Bay (Behind SIC)
Markers 382-395 Great Sound (behind Avalon)
Markers 421-425 Great Channel (Behind Stone Harbor @ Hereford Inlet - see above posts, The "Great Curve" Sea Tow parking spot
)
Markers 444-452 Grassy Sound (behind Wildwood)

[ 10-21-2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Eric G ]

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by Tip of the day:
Unfortunately, you would want a low tide for the bridge, but a high tide for the area Rageboat talks about, about 3/4 mile south of there where the ICW bends to the right where the waterway narrows. It is deceiving at first, and you will think someone moved the bouys. It is almost a 90 degree turn. As Rage said, any error will quickly show on your sounder, but there is plenty of water in the channel.
Here is the spot they are talking about. The "Great Curve" Notice the 90 degree turn, right up to the sod bank.

[ 10-21-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appricate all of your help. All of this information should make for a safe a nice ride down to Cape May. Thanks again for everyones help.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to thank everyone for all their help and teh pictures were a big help as well. We made it down to Cape May Marina in 2 hours dock to dock. Now I can't wait for Saturday to hit the bay for the first trip of this fall. The ride was not bad and believe it or not we actually made it under the stone harbor bridge with and couple of inches to spare.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hey guys, im planning on duing basically the same run for my first time tomorrow. I just bought a 275 albemarle express with a bridge and riggers galour. Seas calling for 4-6's, im debating whether to run the ICW, and try andf find a map, or just take it outside and run the shoreline.

Hey Capt Lew, do you have a map like that for the whole trip by any chance? i could really use it if i decide to run that way!

thanks all
phil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.