BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone uses these baits on a regular basis. what are they used for? would i use these in place of live bait? what type of setup do I use with this bait and how do i fish it?
I will be asking a ton of questions as i go on my search thank you all ahead of time

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Verse,
I am fast becoming a Big Fan of Storm Lures..
Here are a few that I like....

Great for Deep Jigging Whether off a Boat or
A Bridge etc...
Storm Wildeye Swimbaits
These hand-poured PVC soft-plastic bodies are impregnated with Biosalt for added flavor that fish really love. The buried lead head won't give fish an odd, hard feel and cause them to spit the bait prematurely. The holographic flash matches natural forage colors for realistic detail.

For Top Water Action,in the Surf or BackBays...
Storm Saltwater Suspending Wildeye
Storm has combined the durability of an internal lead head and wire frame with the feel and action of a soft plastic. And, the addition of an air bladder to the body of the Suspending Wildeye Swim Bait enables the lure to suspend right in their face when it comes to a stop. The feel of the salt-impregnated plastic makes them hang on just long enough to set the top-mounted single hook or lower treble hook. Internal rattle chamber and holographic foil.

I really like to match the Hatch,so colors that
look like some of our local baits like Bunker
and Mullet work well...

Good Luck,,

[ 01-27-2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I've been using them since I first saw them. I like the Bunker & Mullet like Nightstrikes.

I toss them on either my 7' Loomis spin rod (30lb power pro & a 3 ft fluro leader) or my Fisher pluggin rod (same line & leader).

Not only are they super realistic - you can cast em' far if needed.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
THEY SUCK...DON'T BUY 'EM......suck so bad that I looked to see if company was publicly traded...they're not. Now there are other companies (Tsunami) that are making similar lures that work pretty good too. Imitation ,sincerest form of flattery
Crushed flatties with them last year ( 8 lbr.) when minnows were scarce. Have to put them away when snappers show up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would love to go with the croud,problem is I bought a bunch of them last spring and caught nothing.Tried them off and on all season all different ways.Give me a bucktail anytime or a zoom.The onle thing they caught was me.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Not bad, don't forget to take the plastic cover off of the hook before you cast, ask me how I know

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
One of the best new lures to come aound in recent years. I'm never without them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wooped up on stripers of AC this fall with em. Boats around me casting and jigging metals and not catching. Casting and retrieving these had hits or striper/blue hookups almost every other cast. They just dont last long with the blues.

·
Registered
298 Posts
haven't caught sick fish on them, but i can't stop throwing them, they are spellbindingly realistic. i stand in the suds in 2 feet of water and play puppeteer for minutes on end, mesmerized by the realism. they throw a mile, too. tough plastic as well.
strange thing, foul hooked 4 weakies in one night with one :confused: . either they were stacked up ignoring it, or i was working the short bus school.

doc bass-that plastic tube over the barb makes it weedless, you're supposed to leave it on! :D ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
OK, guess I have to give them more time.Hard to get away form stuff you know works well.Any tips on how to use them?Oh yeah I did take the hook covers off.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Originally posted by the hitless wonder:
haven't caught sick fish on them, but i can't stop throwing them, they are spellbindingly realistic. i stand in the suds in 2 feet of water and play puppeteer for minutes on end, mesmerized by the realism. they throw a mile, too. tough plastic as well.
strange thing, foul hooked 4 weakies in one night with one :confused: . either they were stacked up ignoring it, or i was working the short bus school.

doc bass-that plastic tube over the barb makes it weedless, you're supposed to leave it on! :D ;)
always foul hook something.....I think what is happening is that while your in your "screwed up epilectic minnow" mode....you get fish's attention....then he follows, overshoots and you twitch hard and stick him in the belly .

Don't like that one with the treble hook on bottom. Snags too much stuff

KOKOMO'S Polish good luck charm forgot to remove the plastic guard.....he will be reminded next year too :D

G

·
Probably the best lure to come out in the last 10 years. It was and is the go-to lure on LBI. I would say that 8 out of 10 anglers were throwing them. the 4" bunker is the closest thing your going to find to peanut bunker. im going to try those new 2" and try to imitate the rainfish(bay anchovies) when the bass are really finicky about what they are targeting. i have tried the imitaters versions and i always go back to the Storm's. great look, awesome hook, and cast well. i have left them near the bottom (while boat fishing) and just placed the rod in the rodholder and let the rocking of the boat do the work. have caught blues, seabass, dogfish :mad: , searobins :mad: , croakers, fluke, AND stripers :D on them.
Nick

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Originally posted by candyman:
THEY SUCK...DON'T BUY 'EM......suck so bad that I looked to see if company was publicly traded...they're not.
Candyman:

I thought I read somewhere that Storm Lures Company was recently acquired by another tackle company, maybe Rapala or Rebel? If I see the info again I will post it here.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
We starting using the tiniest ones out of the kayaks at night for bass. They work and they catch bass but they dont work any betetr than old faithfull (finess) and they cost alot more. Ill keep using them but when the bluefish are around the bridges it'll be all finess.
Barrell

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
great lures if used in the right situation... Match the hatch with respect to size & color etc....blues will tear them up tough...had some problems with smaller sizes with hooks coming free from internal lead... another weapon in the arsenal...

·
Registered
560 Posts
The first time I used a storm I caught a bass on my first cast and third cast. I was sold. They do look more life like than anything else I've ever thrown. The looks caught me but the storms caught the bass.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts