BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to admit that it's difficult waiting for something to leave when it never felt like it got here. This weekend was a reminder that winter is here but it is also almost over.

Sunset past 5:30. No ice even in the back bays. Back bay today after some bitter cold was still at 38. Temps by the end of the week are forecasted into the 50's so water will rebound.

All the builders in Wildwood are going like crazy trying to finish up for the arrival of the season. Workers on the boardwalk are already on the amusements for Palm Sunday. Even the heavy equipment is tearing into the remains of Sam's pizza shooting for Memorial Day reopening.

Tomorrow I will start rescreaning my large minnow boxes because very soon the big spring minnows will show. New peg board is up and ready for the new tackle that is arriving every week. In 17 days the new striper season for Delaware Bay and the back bays reopens. Fish that left our local waters long ago will be staging for their run back home soon.

Everything and everyone that starts up in spring is just about ready to make a move. In a blink of an eye it will be March and boat covers will be off and new paint will be on. The Marina across from our dock was shut down for Most of the winter. On Thursday and Friday they were showing one of their new boats off by giving buyers in-water demos.

Already there have been reports of red-winged blackbirds hanging on roadside reeds. In about four weeks the laughing gulls will make their noisy but welcome return. Egrets and herons will dot the meadows with their white plumage about the same time. The Phillies play their first spring training game in 18 days. The Masters golf tournament is in 53 days. we turn our clocks ahead in 48 days.

The clock is still running on winter but time is almost up. Within two weeks I will be rolling on a new coat of bottom paint on our rental boats. In six weeks I will be eating my first slice of Mack's pizza from the Wildwood boardwalk.

So pick up those shovels and dig out because it's almost over and once again females in bathing suits will litter our beaches.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The storm was just what you needed. I don't know what I would do without you. Your guidence has helped me become a better man and fisherman. Every day I wake up I thank the allmighty that you even talk to me. Thanks again for bringing a ray of sunshine into my otherwise dull and drab existance.

[ 02-13-2006, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: chunking ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i had a red-winged blackbird in my feeder yesterday afternoon in margate. i walked on the beach for a bit yesterday, and i saw birds flying over something and then diving down to get a taste. it shant be long now.

by the way, margate got only about 3" of snow. very easy shoveling.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Just got back in from digging my truck out of a foot of snow. After reading your post Fred, the theme from "Hawaii Five-O" is playing in my head. :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Bill, You got mail !

Thanks Fred, Pulling all the gear out now. :D

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Super Post! We needed it after all the snow. I spent yesterday going through my 2005 The Fisherman magazines tearing out the articles I want to keep and read again. Keep up the posts so I can smile through the next few months. Spring is coming!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thanks for the pick-me-up Fred, very appreciated. I will have to get down your way this season for a visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fred,

Great post! The weather is right on schedule for me. Heading to the Key's next week then off to Colorado for a couple weeks. Then I guess we will be in to see you, late March. Like I said the stars are all lined up for us.

See Ya Soon!

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Originally posted by Skip M:
,the Shamrock & Wilson will be ready.
Another sure sign of spring. Almost time to plug in the freezer Skip. You know how cranky Lew and Ben get when their vodka is warm :eek:

Great post Fred!

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
The snow was also good for freshwater fishermen.
Too warm too early means the bugs will be hatching at the wrong times or not at all.
This keeps things in line, fly fishing -wise.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sweet!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts