BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new Stradic Ci4 3000 and I'm extemely disappointed in the bail trip. The bail wire is hard to trip by reeling and forces you to trip it by hand. When the bail does trip it does not snap downas well as some of my cheaper less sophisticated reels. For a $200 reel that I waited anxiously for a week to arrive, I'm disappointed. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
575 Posts
could be a blessing in disquise. I have a few reels that i wish were a littlenharder to trip as i have lost more than a few plugs when the bail snaps shut during a cast.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My ci4 does it too...
At least I don't have a defective reel. I have had many sub $100 reels where the bail snapped over swiftly. Those reels had other problems but none of which was the bail. You would think for $200 a spinning reel should do everything well. To add to my problems I put the reel on a brand new Shimano Sellus spinning rod and realized the seat does not align with the guides. So all in all my brand new $250 set up is not as good as my $100 Sargus Ugly Stick combo. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
according to my reel guy -most spinning reels ,you should manually flip the bail before the hook up . just his opinion

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
according to my reel guy -most spinning reels ,you should manually flip the bail before the hook up . just his opinion

Most guys fishing with artificials do it automatically with spinning gear. And the tug of the line becomes automatic as well ,with casting reels.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Flip it by hand you'll get less wind knots. Actually one of the first things I do on most spinning reels I buy it take out the trip mechanism so it can't close during a cast. Not that it happens more than once in a while but that once in a while could lose you an expensive plug........or the last one of the only thing you can get bit on.

As far as it not tripping fully, that should not happen.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I love my pfleugers...never had a bail trip on me when I didn't want it to

However I also trip the bail by hand...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a Shimano Albrid from Japan and it doe's the same thing. I have to manually close the bail. I thought it was a defect. Other than that, I like the reel. It is very light and looks like it can cast a mile.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I think the bailspring on most reels will eventually fail if you fish a lot and depend on the turning of the handle to trip the bail. I hardly ever use the handle to trip the bail, another important thing to do is to open the the bail so the roller bearing is always aligned on the top right hand side of the spool so the bail doesn't trip when you cast.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried a Stradic FJ 3000 and 4000 today at the Palmyra Show. It is superior to the Ci4 in every respect other than weight. The bail trip was smooth and the reel had a quality feel to it. I know what my next reel is going to be, now I just gotta get rid of the Ci4.

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Absolutely. Always manually flip the bail with your hand. The bearings will wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
After having problems with it closing on me during casts on my on a 2500 that Ive had for a few years I converted that and the 4000 to manual and never looked back. I'll be doing the same to all stradics I buy in the future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just take a grinding wheel and cut the bails off-then counter the weight with a coil of solder-stick it in the hole from the bail and superglue it in there-you'll be happy you did-an old salt showed me the way-and he was 100% right-:)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I just got a Shimano Albrid from Japan and it doe's the same thing. I have to manually close the bail.
The Albrid and most JDM reels engineered for distance have no automatic bail trip mechanism; they are all manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Albrid and most JDM reels engineered for distance have no automatic bail trip mechanism; they are all manual.
I am guessing you must have some of these JDM reels. Trying to figure out what braid would be best for the Albrid. I know what ever the brand is, it will be 30lb test. The JDM reel thing is new to me and so was the buying experience. The reel is on a 10'6 3/4-4 ounce mojo.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would go with the sufix p832 or power pro super slick, very sharp appearing braid lines, but any braid from those two companies would get my :thumbsup: all I buy these days! I also purchased the ci4 and haven't found the flaws you mentioned when I have been toying around with it! Can't wait to try it this spring season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts