BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This AM (8/3), on Comcast newsmakers, the head of the Upper Township, NJ beach patrol was promoting the Strathmere Ocean Kayak Festival to be conducted on Saturday August 13, 2005. There will be kayak tryouts and kayak races. I believe that the Strathmere beaches are free (no beach tags)? The event takes place at Vincent Street and the beach. Call the beach patrol at 609-263-1161 for more details.

If you ever wanted to try a kayak in the Ocean, or get some free instruction, here's your chance.

[ 08-04-2005, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks Maine-sport. I have never heard of such an event. I wiil be done that way this weekend with any luck. I will see what I can find out. Tom.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Connmann,

I have no information other than what I saw on TV. This annual event is held at Vincent Street and the beach. If you fish within a block of Vincent Street, you probably should change your Saturday (8/13)plans.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Call up TI Kayaks in OC. I think that they are quite involved in these things. My dad was in teh race last year and finished dead last but had a great time.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
maine sport, I have had 3 conversations with the beach patrol it seems that the only dealer allowed at the show is ti. I had hoped they would let me bring all the foot propelled Hobies down to let guys test paddle em, but the chance looks slim that are going to allow me to attend.
Barrell

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I thought it was a free beach? Just bring them... I'd like to try one out.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Others will be bringing in their kayaks to race. I don't see why you can't bring your kayak. It would be hard for Upper Township to justify only one kayak shop participating on a public beach.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
They havent got back to me so Ill show up anyway withe two outbacks and a sport. If anyone wants to test paddle the Hobies foot propelled fishing kayaks Ill only be there in the morning.
Barrell

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Well I got the call from the beach patrol this norning and ti told them in no way do they want me there. They want to be the only dealer present. So the beach patrol told me Im not allowed to come. I thought about going anyway and just hanging out but if I start letting guys demo the hobies and handing out catologs I know there will be a problem so Im leaning toward staying away as ordered. If anyone wants to try them Up here in Brig just give me a call and ill take you out on a fishing demo.
Barrell

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
Barrell dont back down-just show up with 1 at a time and head out. Dont blame you for not going with all the hassles-will have to look you up this fall

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It makes you wonder why the head of the Upper Township Beach Patrol went on television several times to promote an "Upper Township Festival" that benfits only 1 kayak business and bans all others?

When you look at Upper Township school board decisions and the Beesley Point bridge affair, I think they have been breathing power plant fumes way too long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts