BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ya put braid, mono,steel leaders, and the occasional dacron trolling string, in the same hopper? Also, what da you do with those pesky 6pack holders that kill so many animals @ the landfill :confused:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The 6 pack holders get cut up so they have no loops. If you fold them right, it takes 2 cuts with a scissor.

I do all I can for the ecology. I buy 30 packs :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recycle fishing line. I took 4" PVC pipe and cut it into 2-3ft lengths and put end caps on them. I leave 1 in the garage, 1 in the back of my truck and 1 in my boat (small one). I stuff my line in there and when its full I empty at my local tackle shop. It lasts a full season usually depending how many friends stuff their line into it. I cut the 6 pack holders.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Tackle shop?

TPB said:
I recycle fishing line. I took 4" PVC pipe and cut it into 2-3ft lengths and put end caps on them. I leave 1 in the garage, 1 in the back of my truck and 1 in my boat (small one). I stuff my line in there and when its full I empty at my local tackle shop. It lasts a full season usually depending how many friends stuff their line into it. I cut the 6 pack holders.
Do they recycle the line? I usually just through it in the trash.

·
Registered
81 Posts
some tackle shops do some don't.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/njcleanmarina/fishing_line_recycling.html
Clean Marina Links Clean Marina Home Steering Committee Members Clean Marina Program Materials USEPA Documents List of Pledged and Ceritifed Marinas FAQs Workshops & Conferences Clean Marina Newsletter Press Releases Clean Marina of the Month Helpful Links Contact Us​
Monofilament Fishing Line Recycling​
Discarded monofilament fishing line can wreak havoc on the marine environment by entangling, injuring and killing marine birds and aquatic wildlife. It can also cost boaters thousands of dollars when it gets caught in boat propellers and other gear.
The New Jersey Coastal Management Program is partnering with the BoatU.S. Foundation and the BoatU.S. Angler Program to collect and recycle monofilament fishing line. The partnership has distributed 15 collection bins and signs to the following locations:
  • Bahrs Landing Marina, Highlands, NJ
  • South Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ
  • Utches Marina, Cape May, NJ
  • Miss Chris Marina, Cape May, NJ
  • Island Beach State Park
  • Forked River State Marina, Forked River, NJ
  • Leonardo State Marina, Leonardo, NJ
  • Wharton State Forest
  • Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, Barnegat Light, NJ
  • D&R Canal
  • Kittatiny Valley, Andover, NJ
The bins are made of sturdy PVC pipe with an opening near the top in which to place used fishing line. Hooks, bobbers and other debris should be removed from the line before placement in the bin. No other trash or recyclable material should be placed in these bins. Please discard other material responsibly.
The host facility collects the material from the bins and ships it in postage paid boxes to Berkeley Conservation for recycling. Berkeley will send a replacement shipping box to the host facility.
All boaters, fishermen, marina owners and others are encouraged to collect and recycle used monofilament fishing line in order to keep it out of the marine environment and help prevent unnecessary harm to aquatic life and personal watercraft.
More bins may be available in the spring and will be distributed on a first come first serve basis with some priority on expanding the geographic range of the collection bins.
If you are a facility interested in hosting and maintaining a collection bin, please contact Tali Engoltz at 609-633-2201

1 - 5 of 5 Posts