BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this topic before but I am still unclear about the correct answer. Can you use a fish which has size and quanity restrictions for bait. Such as fluke belly, bluefish or sandshark ?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm not sure, so don't write it in stone, but I've never been checked for bluefish or doggies. I have been checked for flounder. You don't want to get caught with flounder bellies and not have the rest of the fish with you. If you use the belly of a flounder you have in the box. Not a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hmmm...tricky question, but I think this is how it works. Fluke bellies are fine as long as you cut them from a legal size fluke. Using live snapper blues is okay too...but let's just say your using them to catch bigger blues. The quantity limit is 15 no matter how big they are. So if you have 15 live snappers in a bucket, you can't keep any of the big blues you catch with them. You've got me with the shark though. I know sharks must be 48 inches to keep and only two are allowed on board...but I don't know if that applies to sand sharks and doggies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good looking out Eddie B...if you're gonna use a fluke belly, old on to the remains until the day is done just incase you get checked

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by EddieB:
I'm not sure, so don't write it in stone, but I've never been checked for bluefish or doggies. I have been checked for flounder. You don't want to get caught with flounder bellies and not have the rest of the fish with you. If you use the belly of a flounder you have in the box. Not a problem.
Eddie,
I am not even sure that what you said is legal.
It is a very fine line. I was always told that the fillet or bait must be of legal size also. (almost impossible)

With that said, I keep my flounder belly in a cup that can be chucked overboard pretty quickly.

Also Esox1, Sandsharks do NOT have a size or quantity restriction. They are smooth dogfish and do not fall under the category of shark.
They are also very tasty!

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, fluke belly - not legal. Sandshark - legal. Bluefish - ok as long as you don't use more than 15.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I read this on Capt. Adam's (Karen Ann II) web site:

The matter of the ability to cut up a legal size fish for bait was also discussed. This issue, along with marking of individual containers aboard vessels to properly allocate catch, will continue to be debated, but no ruling is likely this year. As such, it remains illegal to cut up any species that has a size limit for any purpose while at sea, unless you have a special filleting permit (issued only to party boats carrying 15 or more passengers).

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The debate goes on. They all catch fish. The biggest fluke I caught last year was on a doggy strip. Bluefish does not gold up that well. I feel flounder belly holds up the best and works the best.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sea robins and skate wings are not an issue because there are no restrictions on these fish.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
As Joe D. referenced above, I was at the last NJ MFC meeting where the matter was discussed. There simply is no grey area in the law itself - if a species has a size limit, it is illegal to cut up any of that species at sea. Of course, it remains the discretion of the boarding officer whether to issue a summons.

[ 03-16-2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: captadamnj ]

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The filleting at sea of all fish with a size limit is prohibited. Party boats may fillet fish at sea if they obtain a Special Fillet Permit. Applications may be obtained from the Marine Fisheries Administration.

The above is copied from the Marine Issue of the NJ Fish & Wildlife Digest. Fishing with bait strips of fish with a minimum size is illegal as stated by previous posters. No grey areas!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Some folks get the " not another trash fish " attitude when they reel up that sea robin and sand shark.... I say FREE FRESH BAIT :D
Strip 'em out and give it a shot.... you will like the results ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts