BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to Encourage all of our members to
make their thoughts known here on this subject...

Because I will be taking this data/results
to the Final Public Meeting down in Avalon
next Monday June 7,2004....

So if you cannot make one of the meetings
and voice you opinion,
maybe this will help with the process of the
Decision Makers....

Please Vote in the HomePort Forum......
POLL
Thanks Again,,,,

[ 06-01-2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
(repeating my same post as in Home Port)

In my uninformed opinion, none of the choices look good. How about a REAL slot, two fish between 18"-32", plus one bonus over 32". The bonus should be a non-renewable annual trophy tag, meaning only one fish over 32" per year per angler, or the slot is meaningless (like right now). Anglers would be allowed to kill the best eating size stripers (and culling out the small ones (simple high school ecology)) while preventing the annual springtime slaugherfest on the Del Bay. How would that work into the equation?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I release most of my fish, but because it is important to the striped bass fishery I will be attending the meeting in Avalon. If you don't put in any output, there should be no complaining when the offical regulations come out. You have to look at the over all impact and its importance to the recreational fisherman, surf, boat and backbay and take a position. One of the options will be implemented, so if you care, be there.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Went to the meeting last night. Most of the commets where for option 4, the same as the RFA was supporting. It is the most consevative of the plans. In talking to the fisheries council, the total turnout for all three meetings was about 150 people. Hard to believe such a important fish to the state and that is all the people who care. I would bet if the feds shut down the season for lack of compliance there would be a hell of an uproar. Council will vote on what they are in favor of and Assemblyman smith will sponsor the bill to get it through, so our striper season will remain open. If you don't like what we get, you should of spoke up while you had the chance.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
interesting that there were as many people at the Avalon meeting than the other two combined....

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Med, I believe the reason for the larger crowd was there is alot of back bay fishing from Cape May north and we do not see alot of super cow size bass in the back. Many wanted to be able to keep a small fish to eat once in awhile and it was important for them to come out and speak in favor of it. Also that plan saves the most large cows for breeding. This is all if that is the plan that passes. When the total alotted fish in the bonus program would be caught the bonus program is finished for the year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts