BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at the replies on the [email protected] Pledge thread in this forum there is a definite opinion (from posters in this forum) that the Striped Bass population is fine. Or that the [email protected] is a bad solution, not realizing that [email protected] is a start to the recreational fishermen showing some restraint in the over harvesting of Striped Bass.

What about guys like Bill Wetzel, Alberto Knie, Doc Muller, DJ Muller? There are many others. They have all spoken out about where we are headed with the Striped Bass biomass (we are headed for trouble, big trouble).
Do you guys know more about the health of the Striped Bass population than them?
Or do you just not care about it like them?
Here is a quote by one of the Captains that post in this forum:
“I have seen the fishery when it was tough as well as when it had been great. I will also be the first person to say that there are not as many bass around as in recent years. I will also admit that there are more keepers around and less shorts. As for what i kill on my boat. I follow all laws in both NY and NJ waters. My customers spend their hard earned money to go out on fishing trips with me and when they like to take their limit who am i to tell them they cant. I also let my customers use their bonus cards to a certain point. I do not take my limit or my mates limit on any trip. If the customer wants to use their bonus card in the beginning of the season on a smaller fish than so be it. I do support catch and release and i can tell you i had a trip the other day where we landed 50 or 52 bass all day and only kept one fish for the table cause it was gut hooked and bleeding out. I encourage my guys to release all fish 30 lbs or bigger cause they are your breeding fish and we need to keep the stock up and have fish for our future generations to experience.”
Is he wrong? I don’t think so.

So the Striped Bass will soon start their trips to spawn. The breeders will be extremely vulnerable as they enter and leave the Hudson. Its another year when the regulations will allow for way to many bass to be killed (likely the last one for some time).
While some members who post on other forums on this site and others who post on other fishing sites do what they can to reduce the amount of striped bass killed by recreational fisherman, will this forum continue with the “cheer-leading” of the killing?
Or will there be more stories of catch and release? Is the tide turning (recreational fishermen realizing that to many Stripers are being killed)? It is on other forums and other fishing sites.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Post this somewhere else, most of us here in the SHRB like to leave the politics behind and get out there and make reports.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Post this somewhere else, most of us here in the SHRB like to leave the politics behind and get out there and make reports.
I dunno xperks, to me the thread seemed to have questions about fishing.
How is it a question about politics? :huh:
Did you even take a look at the videos and see what they had to say?

I thought the barn was about fishing discussions. This seems to fit in, as the topic is fishing, and bass.
In the same way when you asked for opinions, when you posted the following question......

Fished a local bridge last night many people were catching stripers using surface plugs I was using a school bus bomber but did not catch anything i wish i knew what i was doing wrong
It seems to me as if he is asking for opinions as well.
Do you have an opinion on the fishing questions that were asked?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Geez...Take it easy. I see his point. All of this is extremely subjective. And based on the original post, this all comes down to C&R coservationist minded fisherman bashing guys that post catches of larger fish on this forum. All that does is drive people away from posting, doesn't change anything else and makes C&R guys look like Aholes with some of their replies on posts like that.

When I'm catching and releasing 30-40 fish at shot next month please remind me why the Biomass is in so much trouble.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There was a thread started on this topic already and no need for a second one and now a third. You received your answers and obviously didn't like the HONEST responses. I am extremely curious to see whose payroll you, surfratiam and alberto and the crew are on. I can be sure there is some driving force in Washington pushing you folks to try and spread your propaganda across the internet. Bring your agenda elsewhere. The OP has ZERO credibility with 14 posts all consisting of pumping [email protected] all over the place. BTW do you guys have any free stickers left ? I would like to use them to clean the scales off my filet knives this spring after i get my 2 fish limit at 28" weekend after weekend. Darkskies maybe you should switch up what your throwing if your getting down on yourself and blaming it on a lack of bass. I stopped throwing a school bus bomber and look at me now :razz:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Darkskies this topic comes up every year and here it is again. This is the issue as I see it..... this pledge is the opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to shove that opinion down my throat is BS and to bust peoples balls because they do not aggree with your opinion is even more BS. This topic should be removed from the forum as I don't come here to read this BS. If a fishermen is following the rules and regulations then that is the end of it. If you want to post something based on opinion that is fine, but Do Not keep shoving that opinion down others throats. So I will now list my opinion.... if a charter boat captain keeps his legal limits for his paying customers I see no problem with that. If a fishermen wants to keep his catch and they are within the legal limits to feed his family and friends i see no problem with this. There are many things wrong in this world that need to be argued over but this is not one of them and this is not the place (Again my opinion)... Tight lines and bloody becks boys...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a thread started on this topic already and no need for a second one and now a third. You received your answers and obviously didn't like the HONEST responses. I am extremely curious to see whose payroll you, surfratiam and alberto and the crew are on. I can be sure there is some driving force in Washington pushing you folks to try and spread your propaganda across the internet. Bring your agenda elsewhere. The OP has ZERO credibility with 14 posts all consisting of pumping [email protected] all over the place. BTW do you guys have any free stickers left ? I would like to use them to clean the scales off my filet knives this spring after i get my 2 fish limit at 28" weekend after weekend. Darkskies maybe you should switch up what your throwing if your getting down on yourself and blaming it on a lack of bass. I stopped throwing a school bus bomber and look at me now :razz:
What has happened over the last 6 months is a lot more fisherman being concerned about the lack of striped bass. The huge amount of fishing pressure being put on striped bass. The topic is being discussed more. It pops up on this forum and you are cranky and question my credibility when I post facts and try to have a civil discussion on the subject. Why not try to contribute to the discussions?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I dunno xperks, to me the thread seemed to have questions about fishing.
How is it a question about politics? :huh:
Did you even take a look at the videos and see what they had to say?

I thought the barn was about fishing discussions. This seems to fit in, as the topic is fishing, and bass.
In the same way when you asked for opinions, when you posted the following question......

It seems to me as if he is asking for opinions as well.
Do you have an opinion on the fishing questions that were asked?
What has happened over the last 6 months is a lot more fisherman being concerned about the lack of striped bass. The huge amount of fishing pressure being put on striped bass. The topic is being discussed more. It pops up on this forum and you are cranky and question my credibility when I post facts and try to have a civil discussion on the subject. Why not try to contribute to the discussions?
Surf, its the same crap EVERY year.... Your opinions are opinions NOT fact and a majority of this group does NOT share your OPINION. This thread and the other 2 started by your tiny group of merry men should have already been deleted, but this site is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Surf, its the same crap EVERY year.... Your opinions are opinions NOT fact and a majority of this group does NOT share your OPINION. This thread and the other 2 started by your tiny group of merry men should have already been deleted, but this site is not what it used to be.
Why would it be deleted? Because Darkskies and l don't agree with your "opinion"? That sounds like the site has made good strides, become more American. I'm a fan of free speech, how about you? Fishing for striped bass has gotten worse the last few years (my opinion based on others stated facts), more people are recognizing it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Surf, the migration offshore has been strong and us meat guys up here have had epic seasons within the legal limits. I think the shoving of your opinions down our throats when the majority of this group did not share your opinions is why it should be deleted. If you would like to learn how to catch bass i am sure there are many charter boats out there that could show you. Oh wait you don't want people keeping the bass so if you get your way they will all be out of business anyway. Think about it climate changes and other natural occurances could be changing the migration patterns. Also like i posted on one of the other posts you guys started to clog up this forum, size limits and amount of fish you are allowed to keep has changed dramatically in the past years. I am not saying that everything is perfect but your ppledge may not be the answer. My OPINION

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How about getting gamefish status for the whole coast. Then you can say something about the guys playing by the rules.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
you asked so here you go .....the scientists and surf guys are good people with good intentions just limited in knowledge ...when I was a kid we caught alot of fish then they disappeared ..then they came back even stronger overfishing oor a cycle I do not know...my opinion is spiny dogfish eat the young fish....to say strippers are not healthy now is a bad statement..while everyone was having a tough day finding them.. bottom fisherman off more then 3 miles have caught them as by catch..they may not feed in the surf every day but that doesn't mean they are gone...I do not know about the Hudson but the raritan has them so thick you can net them up river...so in short I do not see them as endangered at all and I kept one fish last year...scientists need to get out of the classroom and surf fisherman need to get off the beach to find them...remember they have tails and move

2,212 Posts
If I'm correct, thats something i wrote last year on another site that i don't advertise on as well as a few other charter and party boats don't advertise. And the person who started the thread was calling every charter and head boat the "Meat Men of NJ". It was a bullshit post on another site by some tree hugger or animal rights activist who was pissed that we were limiting out the boats for our customers daily. The other thread even had guys bashing Johnny Bucktails for fishing with his father and them taking their limits on trips. The person who started the other thread was taking our reports from this site as well as other sites that we advertise on. When i commented on it as well as other people who they were bashing, it started a thread with over 100 replies and over 3000 views. Seems like its the same bullshit thats going to start happening here. For this reason, this will be my last post in this thread. I will just keep posting my reports from now on.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
1. If you would like to learn how to catch bass i am sure there are many charter boats out there that could show you.

2. I am not saying that everything is perfect but your ppledge may not be the answer. My OPINION
1. Uncle Chub/Capt Gary, point #1 you made above almost sounds like a penis measuring contest. :rolleyes:
When someone has a discussion of what they are seeing, the other side saying it's not accurate, because they don't know how to catch fish, is a pretty poor and childish argument, isn't it? This response reminds me of the 5 year old, whose Mom is telling him he needs to bring his coat to school.....and he has his hands over his ears, childishly chanting "La la la, I don't hear you!" :razz:

Have you at least taken the time to scan Bill Wetzel's or Crazy Alberto Knie's videos.
What is their agenda?
Are they commie sympathizers, is it time to bring out the white crosses?
Are they tree huggers? :nuts:

(I don't know about you..but Bill Wetzel....seems pretty real, seasoned, and grizzled...to me...a pretty salty character....about as far as you could get from a tree hugger)
Montauk is arguably one of the best fish highways of the East Coast....I find Bill Wetzel's assessment credible, honest, and very candid, considering the fact that he's a guide, and honesty like that, can hurt a guide's business financially)

2. Your point # 2 seems valid. Sure.....there are other, possibly better options that could be more effective in managing what has been a shrinking striped bass biomass......I completely agree with you on that........

A. One of them, IMO, is the designated slot, as some have mentioned.....(maybe allowing limits of 28" bass, but mandating a 30-36" slot where fish would have to be returned......research has shown that fish those size are the most prolific breeders - look up fecundity studies if you don't believe me)
I really think that could be better.....it has worked in florida for some species there.....and is probably responsible for the great comeback of redfish and push into northern areas as their population increases........

B. However, I did a search on the last 5 pages of this forum, didn't see any of the members here, coming up with a call for something like that.,.....
I couldn't find any kind of discussion in this forum recognizing there might be a problem, and asking for opinions if there is a better way.,....only brow-beating and shouts that anyone who thinks differently than you do, obviously must not know how to fish (again, a very weak argument)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
as a child my grandfather would take us from capemay to sharkriver to fish as a kid I thought they were all over now I know they move

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I'm correct, thats something i wrote last year on another site that i don't advertise on as well as a few other charter and party boats don't advertise. And the person who started the thread was calling every charter and head boat the "Meat Men of NJ". It was a bullshit post on another site by some tree hugger or animal rights activist who was pissed that we were limiting out the boats for our customers daily. The other thread even had guys bashing Johnny Bucktails for fishing with his father and them taking their limits on trips. The person who started the other thread was taking our reports from this site as well as other sites that we advertise on. When i commented on it as well as other people who they were bashing, it started a thread with over 100 replies and over 3000 views. Seems like its the same bullshit thats going to start happening here. For this reason, this will be my last post in this thread. I will just keep posting my reports from now on.
So let me get this straight, I quote you, give you credit for an honest opinion/post and you go off calling people tree huggers, people who are concerned about the striped bass population (something I would think would be important to you in making your living). Not 1x in the posts here has Johnny Bucktails been mentioned until you bring it up. Are you are purposely trying to turn these discussions about striped bass populations and fishing pressure on them in Sandy Hook into a rukus? a bashing contest? You seem to be well respected here, that is why I quoted you. Maybe if you explained in more detail what you started on that other site it might help educate others (young people like Johnny Bucktail) here on the damage to the bass population that over harvesting can cause.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The LEGAL rules are 2 @ 28 !!! End of discussion ...when that changes then start your thread .....here's a nice pic for you guys to get pumped for bass in a week !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts