Last Chance for the Public To Voice Their Opinions
Let's Pack The House..............
When & Where
June 7, 7 to 10 p.m.
Avalon Borough Council Chambers
3100 Dune Dr.

I plan on attending and bringing the results
of the Polls I have been running on the BIG
4 NJ FISHING WEBSITES over the last week or so..
Not Sure How Much It Will Help.But It Can't Hurt.

So, Who is planning on going ???

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Is this location by the police station??

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Steve thanks for the heads up and all the hard work. Unfortunatly I can't make it but I do appreciate all you efforts. Please let us know how you make out, thanks bro.

·
Registered
113 Posts
thank you to all that attend and voice an
opinion AGAINST ANY FEE BASED STRIPER BONUS
PROGRAM. i believe the program should be abolished and the allotment blended into the
general public bag limits.

think about what their trying to do and where it
will lead. SUDDENLY, SCIENTIFIC DATA DOESN'T
HELP TO SET BAG LIMITS AND SUCH ANYMORE. ITS ALL
ABOUT MONEY AND HOW MUCH WE'RE WILLING TO PAY
FOR AN INCREASE IN OUR BAG LIMIT.

WE'RE GOING TO BE SOLD PERMITS TO PROVIDE THEM
DATA TO USE AGAINST US, ALL WHILE USING OUR GAS,
BAIT, TIME ETC. ALL OF THIS TO CATCH A FISH
THAT THEY RECCOMEND WE DON'T EAT!!

DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THEY SAY TO JUSTIFY A FEE.
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE GOV. ADDING A TAX TO
FISHING. A FEE FOR A LICENSE WILL BE NEXT, OR SIMILAR RIP OFFS FOR OTHER SPECIES.
IF THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS, MORE OF THE LIKE
WILL BE FORTHCOMING.
THEY CAN'T SELLEM IF WE DON'T BUYEM

I VOTE TO ABOLISH THIS BONUS PROGRAM BEFORE
IT GOES ANY FURTHER TO RESTRICT OUR RIGHT TO
FISH.

PLEASE VOTE IN NOV. FOR SPORTSMAN FRIENDLY
CANIDATES.

ANDY

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Andy, I appreciate your opinion on not wanting a fee, that is certainly your choice and I can see why obviously no one wants to pay for something that has been free all this time. I am a little confused about some things you said, if you could explain exactly what you meant I might understand where you are coming from. My initial recation to some of your statements may by incorrect, that's why I'd like some clarification before I respond in detail.

Originally posted by ANDYSLIQUOR:
thank you to all that attend and voice an opinion AGAINST ANY FEE BASED STRIPER BONUS PROGRAM. i believe the program should be abolished and the allotment blended into the general public bag limits.
First, the state has no such authority to anything of the kind, they never will. Only the ASMFC can change the allocation of a fishery (which is what would have to happen in the case of our commercial quota that is used for the bonus program) There may be other ways of using that poundage, (besides what we do now or simply leaving it alone) but that remains to be seen.

think about what their trying to do and where it will lead. SUDDENLY, SCIENTIFIC DATA DOESN'T HELP TO SET BAG LIMITS AND SUCH ANYMORE. ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND HOW MUCH WE'RE WILLING TO PAY FOR AN INCREASE IN OUR BAG LIMIT.
I'm confused about this one also. What does the bonus program have to do with our bag limit (it has nothing to do with the 2 fish allowed every state) and how is it that scientific data no longer helps set bag limits? That statement doesn't make any sense to me, so I must have missed the point you were trying to make.

WE'RE GOING TO BE SOLD PERMITS TO PROVIDE THEM DATA TO USE AGAINST US, ALL WHILE USING OUR GAS, BAIT, TIME ETC. ALL OF THIS TO CATCH A FISH THAT THEY RECCOMEND WE DON'T EAT!!
I guess you could say they can use data "against us" whether or not we pay for it. Just remember that were it not for the data the state of NJ has (which by the way came from the bonus program) we would have exactly 1 option from which to choose right now, namely the coastwide benchmark of 2 @ 28". No slot limits, no nothing else. Again, maybe I missed your point, please explain further if you don't mind.

The "fish they reccomend we don't eat" comment is just silly and has no place in the context of our regulations being changed. First off that statement is inaccurate, second what does consumption have to do with what we are talking about?

I VOTE TO ABOLISH THIS BONUS PROGRAM BEFORE IT GOES ANY FURTHER TO RESTRICT OUR RIGHT TO FISH.
So you vote to further restrict the recreational striped bass fishery in NJ before they restrict it for us? Also, how did the bonus program restrict our fishery? It would have had to restrict it first in order for them to restrict it "further." Currently the bonus program gave us all the data the state used in order to give a range of options to NJ anglers, instead of only giving us one option. How is that a restriction and how will eliminating the program do anything but hurt the NJ anglers? As before, I may have missed the point you were trying to make, please explain.

PLEASE VOTE IN NOV. FOR SPORTSMAN FRIENDLY CANIDATES.
Always an excellent idea.

Thank you in advance for answering my questions/clearing up any misconceptions I may have from your original post.

[ 06-05-2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: CaptTB ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WoW,,,,This Is Not Good....Hope I Am Not
The Only One There ?????
I did manage to get 267 Votes on this Subject,
But Again,Not A Very Good Number Considering
It Went Out to (4)Major Fishing Websites in
New Jersey with a Combined Membership Count
of Over 17000 during the last week....
Hope We Don't Hear Any Complaints Come August
and Next Season....

See Ya's,,,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill & Jim, Great To Hear That ,
The More The Better......................

Thanks,,

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'll be there !!!!!!! just to add My thoughts :D

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I will be there, as Striper Committee head for the Cape May Party and Charterboat Assn. If the president isnt there I give our view. If president is there, I will give my view.

About the bonus fee. What happens if the state does not charge a fee and they shut down the bonus tag program? Which could very well happen. Now with no bonus tag we will be down to two fish. If you like the RFA position, which we do and the bonus tag is nolonger, it changes the whole thing. We are the only state that will be allowed to keep a third fish, no other state has that option. If we don't pay for the cost of that optional fish, and the bonus program dies. The commercials will want those fish and we will never see them or be able to conserve them. Something to think about.

For all those that want no fee for the bonus program.
It could come back and get us and be reason for no bonus program.

·
Registered
113 Posts
capt. tb, cm ray, etc.,

my main concern is that once they establish a
program whereby fisherman are willing to pay a fee for an extra opportunity to fish, it will
migrate to other species and/or areas. ask any avid hunter what a $$$ racket the permit system
has become. your license has limited opps.,
and any new opps. introduced over the years are only available at an extra cost. doe permit$,muzzleloader permit$,turkey permit$,another doe permit for the area across the street$.etc.

regardless of who controls the quota of fish, they are going to establish a precedent by
doing this, ofcourse they'll deny it.

this is typical politics. they establish a popular program, then threaten to take it away
unless we pay up. they always have very
convincing and logical data to support their case, and are able to sway the public, since its
only a small fee. thats how they do it, a little at a time.

if we set all of the reasons aside as to why the program exists, the fact is, the majority of fisherman that participate are in it for the
extra opportunity that it provides. thats why i claim that
they are in effect selling us an increase in bag limit.

unlike the private business sector, gov't agencies turn first to the public for a fee increase rather than cut costs or streamline a process to stay on budget.

andy

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Andy, There were about 75 or more people at the meeting. It seemed like the majority of those that spoke were in favor of option 4 the 24 inch smaller fish. The same one that the RFA supported. It was the most conservative for the fish and gave best access to all the user groups, back bay, surf, bank and pier could still get a fish to keep and there were still the bigger fish others. No one was real happy about the fee. But considering that New Jersey is the only state that can get three fish and that the state had the backbone years back to make stripers a gamefish and give the commercial quota to the recreational sector, most agreed that inorder to continue the program New Jersey has to account for those fish to the federal fisheries and they can no longer do it with their limited budget and it is like pulling teeth to get money to fund the program from the state. It is not a fee to fish. You can still fish and keep two bass. If the bonus program is not used then the commercial sector would be pressuring for them to get it, and once lost, we would never see it again. There was no indication of how the council will vote or of any definate fees. It is now a matter of wait and see.

On hand was assemblyman Smith who will be sponsoring the bill, to make sure it can get passed before the federal deadline forces a striped bass closure.

Not sure what the final plan will be. Fisheries council still has to go over all the imput and then must vote on which option.

With all the people so worried about striped bass, the total that turned out for comment at all three meetings in total was less than 150.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bill I fished from 11:00pm till 7:00 to many sharks to count. But i did manage to get two Bass one at 29 in. one at 30. So it worked out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.