BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personaly think the Striper fishery is well and alive; and looks good for the future fisherman comming up.--------------------------
I also think that two fish per person is adiquit for a days catch.---{enough for the table}---
Size??---Any size up to 40"--your choice-------
One true Trophy Tag per year for fish over 40"..
{I personaly would release my Trophy Tag Striper after a picture.}------------------------------
WHY--The bigger the fish, the more eggs released.
------Pictures are worth a thousand words-------
-----once you eat the large Striper it's gone----
--------Don't need the fish to mount it----------
------------------Just my 2 cents------------------

Weakfish----A different story----Where are the TideRunners of the 80's---The ones we use-to catch???-----Only see a few caught here and there, barely making the legal size..--Why are we able to keep so many???---{I believe it's 8 at 13"}-----------------------------------------
Don't hear much talk or discussion on them???---
Lets bring the good eating Weakfish back to size where is was in the past.-----------------------
-------------What's your 2 cents----------------

[ 01-10-2006, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: GOOD TIMES ]

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Del Bay Forum

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
BECAUSE THE STRIPERS AND CROAKERS EAT THE SAME FOOD SUPPLY.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Croakers seem to be doing very well.---------They are all over the place; big ones and small ones; ocean and bay.------Don't know of too many anglers that keep them to eat.-------------------
Yet,they are thought of, and will be regulated soon, which is good.-----------------------------
I think the Weakfish have been overlooked for a while now.{Good eating,fighting,gamefish ,that use to average 8 to 10-LBS. in their hayday.}----
Maybe the season should be closed for a few years,[Comercial and Recreational}-- to let them come back like the Stripers have??

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Originally posted by flukerat:
couldn't agree more
croakers to be regulated. why? they are not good to eat and not much good for bait.some people do eat them because thats what they took home. the only thing they are good for is so the kids have some fun.everything goes in circles. when the tide runners were here in abundace did you see a croaker or how about a big striper.nope. thought so.eventually the stripers will slow down and the weakies will reappear.of course this is my opinion not factual data.just like the big blues in the bay this year. how often do you see that.
its natures way of replenishing fish.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Stripers & Weakfish

Really the only reason why I fish saltwater when I think about it...

I have no problem closing the Weakfish Season down if it would make a difference.But I don't see it,unless the Spring Netters also have to live with that option.Plus when Spring fishing its almost impossible to fish for one and not the other,they feed and hang in the same places.
Catch & Release is fine with me in April,May & June and this way some of the big breeders will not be taken home to the table.I'm guilty of taking one or two but also release alot of TideRunners each year. I would like to know what
happens to all the young though each year. I can attest to seeing thousands of Fry (2")and young
trout (10-16")in the Barnegat Bay every Summer..

Its a battle for the bait though,maybe the croakers have taken over the Del.Bay and the Weakfish found another place to feed,maybe Barnegat Bay because I don't beleive I saw any of them (Croakers)around this past summer,although they blitzed the beaches of LBI pretty hard there for awhile in the fall..

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I think we are seeing the beginning of the weakfish return.
RARELY in past history has large Croakers and Large weakfish been found in big numbers together
When the Large weakfish were here in the 80's there were not many croakers. Croakers started building large weakfish declined significantly
Past couple of years and this past year for sure the Croakers were quite large which could mean the beginning of a decline in croakers AND we saw some massive schools of smaller weakfish especially in Long Is and around Sandy Hook but also some decent schools of small weakies off South Jersey coast
I believe ,based on past history we will see more 16-20 weakfish next year and fewer large croakers and over next 4-5 years will see continuing increase in weakfish size and fewer and fewer croakers
As far as Stripers go I am not convinced the stock is as good as we may think nor as good as the "so-called experts" think.
I hope I'm wrong but I suspect we are going to see the Fish Councils over next couple of years report less Striped bass bio-mass similar to the numbers they reported on fluke last year only to require a 33% reduction this year
Go figure

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the fish are managed more closely then they were in the 80's and before.{size limits,quanity limits,etc.}----Over all, I would think it is best.-----------I'm no expert by any means, just try to think of common sense solutions about things.-----------------------------------------
Doing some reading on the D.B.forum I over looked;--It seems that most agree that the Stripers and other fish are eating the Weakfish young, thus making them less abundent.----------
Us recreational guys agree that the Striper fishery is well.{Anyway we are restricted to fish within 3 miles of land also!}--------------
I'm sure there are pleanty of fish beyond that; and the bigger ones too, that presumably migrated south this season un-noticed and un-touched.----
Maybe the answer is to up the Striper limit to thin them out a little, and put a bounty on the Dog Sharks that aren't good for much, but stealing your bait!---Just my dumb oppnion-----

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
WHAT ATE IT A FAT STRIPER OR A BLUE. MY GUESS WOULD BE A BLUE. THAT USAULLY HAPPENS IN THE SPRING.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I'm no biologist but I do remember the tide runners of the '80's, what I don't remember about the '80's was catching croakers, at all. Isn't it possible that these fish have cycles and right now it is the crokers time? If I remember correctly it was hard to get a striper also.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
A friend fishes Raritan bay he said was one of the best years he had in sometime on weakfish. maybe they are moving a bit more north every year because they are being pushed out by the crokers taking up food. also I hear R.I. had a run of big weaks , JUST Another idea on the topic..Joe R

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Originally posted by GOOD TIMES:
Well the fish are managed more closely then they were in the 80's and before.{size limits,quanity limits,etc.}----Over all, I would think it is best.-----------I'm no expert by any means, just try to think of common sense solutions about things.-----------------------------------------
Doing some reading on the D.B.forum I over looked;--It seems that most agree that the Stripers and other fish are eating the Weakfish young, thus making them less abundent.----------
Us recreational guys agree that the Striper fishery is well.{Anyway we are restricted to fish within 3 miles of land also!}--------------
I'm sure there are pleanty of fish beyond that; and the bigger ones too, that presumably migrated south this season un-noticed and un-touched.----
Maybe the answer is to up the Striper limit to thin them out a little, and put a bounty on the Dog Sharks that aren't good for much, but stealing your bait!---Just my dumb oppnion-----
I agree!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Spent a lot of time fishing the Outer Banks from the mid 60's to the mid 70's. The rule-of-thumb was if you saw mud spot moving up the beach you would put on your pencil poppers and cast to the back of the mud for weakfish. Seems that the croaker would migrate up the beach rooting up the bottom and the weaks would follow eating the scraps. So at least at the OBX there was a symbiotic relationship between croakers and weakfish.
My real point is that blusfish were always taking-up-the-rear and chasing the weaks against the beach. Sometimes I witnessed a slaughter of hundreds of weaks. Even had people collecting in baskets just south of the Buxton pier.
No one speaks of bluefish eating the weaks. The bluefish I've gutted in NJ have never contained weaks but do they change their eating habits north of the Mason-Dixon line??
I really don't think we know the true migration path of weakfish.
I did find weakfish in the gullet of a 30" blufin I caught at the AC ridge.....that's 15 to 20 miles off!
If I remember right (??? senior mind sometimes fails) the striper and weakfishing fishing was pretty good then.
Like the robot in the movie said "More input!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the situation is due to a little of what each person has said in this thread. Some very experienced fisherman here, that's for sure. I do believe in cyclical changes in the stocks. I am concerned about the small weakfish as by-catch in commercial landings. I remember back in the 80's when we kept more than we should have. The increase in other fish species competing for the same food source. I appreciate these fish more now. Can only hope that the stocks can get to a healthy size again.

[ 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Kenfish ]

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am no expert either, all I know is "The farmer doesn't kill the laying hen".
If you take the fish before they lay theie eggs??seems pretty simple to me.
Then again I am not running for any office.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I kept my boat a Higgbes,in the early 80'S and launched it from there weekly.Also fished with my wifes uncle--"SUB"--He was Known by all,and taught me well.We fished anchored up at the Stakes; and off the huge wooden "Triangle" that is no longer there, off of Egg Island Point.Always headed in at 11 AM with a successful catch of 6 to 8LB.-average Weakfish.
Not uncomon to catch 10LB. and over.
Waiting for that cycle to return!--Just looking at the pictures in hopes of taking some more.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Growing up in a tackle shop in the 60's, I remember stripers and blues were abundant. It was widley thought that croakers were extinct. The 1st croaker I caught was about 6->7 years ago in deleware. I also remember people talking about catching a Cape May goodie. I thought they were spike weakfish and that is all there was of weakfish back then. No keeper size. Does this soud familar to anyone ? I'm talking about 45 years ago.

Rapidly advancing
to old fart
angler.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, tremendous eco-pressure was placed on the Carolina shrimping industry which, by its own tally(!), was bycatching one billion small croakers a year -- not to mention obscene numbers of spot and y-o-y "trout" (weakfish).
And, yes, that is billion with a "B."
Back then, I published a story on the massive bycatch by the shrimpers. The story quickly found its way into eco-circles. It was even read to a congressional subcommittee. Other writers simultaneously picked up on the bycatch reports from the shrimping industry.
Efforts got underway to force a drastic reduction in the bycatch.
The croaker bycatch, relating to the Carolina shrimping industry, plunged. However, the drop was far from a case of shrimpers obediently utilizing the likes of fish excluder devices. A glut of imported farm-bred shrimp arriving in the U.S. devastated the natural shrimp market. It remains a market-ravaged industry. Many shrimp boats have sat unused for years.
It is very likely that the influx -- some would say over proliferation -- of Atlantic croakers is due, in significant part, to the backing off of the Carolina shrimpers.
Weakfish and spot serve to profit also, though their recovery line is signifcantly longer than the very prolfic croaker.
And just how pervasive are the croakers?
NMFS findings for 2004 -- and most likely 2005 --indicate it was the most targeted of all species in our region, far ahead of fluke, blues and bass.
For LBI and vicinity reports please see: www.webspawner.com/users/jmann2002: A non-advertising, nonsponored website.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts