BASS BARN banner

Striper Catching Methods

943 views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  Fshnjoe 
#1 ·
:confused: I'd like to know your favorite methods for catching Striped Bass. What is your favorite bait? Based on your answer, it will either be live or dead. When is the best time to go...other than "all the time". :D Do you ever troll for them, and if so, what works for you?
Where is the best place to find them at what time of year. This information will allow those in need the resource to sift through the info and decide for themselves how to be a beter angler. Thanks and best of luck to everyone this fishing season! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
4reel,
Good Question, Thanks,,,,

If I Had To Narrow It Down To One, If Just Might
Be Sight Fishing For Bass Off Bridges At Night Under The Lights. Nothing Like Finding A Fish
Getting All Excited And Catching That Fish "I Think".. I Use Pink BubbleGum SaltySuperFlukes
Rigged On A 3/8 or 1/2oz Kalin Jig/Lead Head.
Presenting That In Front Of The Fish And Watching
It Attack It ,Is Just Awesome.Then The Battle,Its
Not Easy Landing A Striper With All That Structure and 75' Above It Also...Quite Addictive All Season Long....

[ 03-29-2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

#4 ·
My favorite bait has to be live spot. We catch our own and fish them from July thru November. I like to fish the live spot around the end of the inlet jetty, right on the edge of the breaking waves. Next to that I like throwing Yozuri crystal minnows to them in my favorite backwater spots in the early morn or evening when the boat traffic is light.

#5 ·
4reel I like to snag feash bunker then work the edges of the schools with a practically dead whole one on the bottom. Early morning seems best for that type of fishing before the schools get busted up and/or put down. A close second is watching the paint dry up the bay with nice fresh chunks or whole bunker on the hook over stucture. 3rd would be bucktailing the Rips.

#9 ·
My favorite way to catch a linesider is after coming back from a long run to the hot dog with no tuna in the well. I put the rod in the rod holder with a big hunk of whatever bait we have left and start cleaning the boat. Sometimes you look up and the rod is bent in half. There are some hogs that live around the docks and the scallop boats. Then, over a cold beer, you wonder why you ever left the dock that day.

#10 ·
As you can see, there are lots of methods. A great way to catch bass is to jump on one of the above guys' boats and do exactly what they say....or...

I had lots of fun & good luck last year, late summer-early fall....sunset...back bays....kayak.....cast and retrieve...top water plugs Gibbs or Yozuri Mag Popper and my personal favorite..yozuri mag minnow..swimming plug...the bass were bangin that maggie the minnow hard! Creek mouths! Just ask BTW!!!

SJB

#14 ·
Has to be big topwaters from the rocks... nothing in the world like watching a couple big misses while you are blooping, and then a surface crashing, plug crushing strike.... I think I just got a chill up my spine :eek:

#17 ·
I like livelining herring from the banks of the Delaware river... particularly around mothers day. Nothing quite like casting a weightless, live herring into some heavy current, then watching your line grow taught, followed by the bend in your rod, followed by the singing of your drag... all in one smooth motion. April till early June is the best for that.

But, when conditions are right, I really like casting topwaters from the sods. Especially that magical 10 minutes or so in the evening when the sun fades away, and the sky turns from bright orange, to a dull purple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.