BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a few million laying around and you were to build a striper fishing boat, what would it be?

List it like this:

1- the boat
2- the engine
3- the electronics

Matt K
"Katcha'saurus"

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
for back bay,I would definately go with a carolina skiff 17' with 50 horse yamaha 4 stroke and a rip tide trolling motor. For inlet and rip fishing It would have to be the parker 2520xl or 2520dv rigged with a single 225 fourstroke yamaha.I have the c80 set up on my boat so that would be my electronics choce for the parker don't really need it for the flats boat.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
GREAT QUESTION AND I'M STUMPED--THE ISLAND HOPPER CAME TO MIND BUT A COUPLE SMALL THINGS KEEP IYT FROM PERFECT.SKIP POSTED ABOUT 8 OR 9 MONTHS AGO A CC THAT LOOKED LIKE A HOPPER BUT I THOUGHT SOMEONE SAID A STRIKE.MAYBE THE ANIMAL WILL REMEMBER???

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My 19seaPro-cvc,100hp 4stroke,74lb rip tide for
backbay.I very happy with 34 fountain for out
front and the bay.This is well below a million.
I also can get home in 30 minutes from any where
in either boat.these boats were picked just for
striper fishin and I LOVE them.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I would rig up a 24' c/c carolina skiff, it would have a detatchable pilot house" something to keep dry and warm in during the months of Oct-Dec remove the pilot house in the spring. And twin 225 4 stoke yami's. Any top of the line state of the art electronics will do, about 10 rod holders out riggers a small fridge to keep the bait/food, beer fresh and cool and a hot mermaid to be captain of this fine outragous looking vessel.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tee Hee!!!

You gotta love it!!! I guess any boat that gets you there and back in one peice with fish in the box will do!!!

But I see that I am not the only one that wonders "What If?"

Matt K
"Katcha'saurus"

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I offten dreamed of a 17 foot Carolina Skiff with trip 25's hanging off the back so that I can mention how well my trips performed to the Mug, Rajun etc at the water cooler after the ASA Tournys :D

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
35' Cabo Express with twin C-9 Cats would work for me! Throw on the full monty of Furuno gadgets,Sirius Radio for tunes,satellite phone and all for about half a million which leaves mo' money for fast cars and big pickup trucks.

[ 09-21-2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Capt Buck ]

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Matt, I'm currently in the process of trying to get into that "perfect striper boat" for next spring. Problem is, there's no such thing. Kinda like the perfect fishing rod, it doesn't exist.

Certainly, for tournament fishing, I'd have to say the Rajun Cajun crew about has it covered with their 34 Fountain. Not only is that boat incredibly capable, but it might just be the most beautiful boat I've ever seen.

But ya can't get it up on a back bay flat on a quiet summer night, so for me some compromises are in order.

I'd have to go with an "overbuilt" 23' center console...one that can float and fish in 18" of water, but one that can run all over Delaware or Raritan Bays on a typical fall day, and can handle a good, sharp chop should one develop. It should have the capability to fish 30-40 miles from shore in calm seas (certainly not a striper requirement, but there are other fish in the sea). A T-Top w/surround provides enough of a wind break without getting in the way of the important stuff.

The layout of the boat is just as important as performance. It must be completely uncluttered, especially in the cockpit area, and the bow casting platform should be elevated just enough to make finesse fishing easy, but not too much so that it is dangerous to fish in a pitching boat.

There are a few boats out there that meet these requirements, but not too many. Again, these are my requirements, and may differ completely from everybody elses.

Now if I only had that million dollars!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Wesmac 42 with an 800 to 1000 hp single diesel. Northstar electronics package.

·
Registered
16,419 Posts
Cabos a wet boat, see how far forward the water is peeling off of her at cruise = wet boat. Also rides a little hard for an offshore boat. Parkers have nice room for fishing, pilot house will keep you dry but will slam the living heck out of you driving up there in that pilot house.

A skiff, only for the back bays, it's cold and wet in the fall.

If I must have a boat for "bass fishing" a 23-26 ft. CC w/ an enclosure for the cold wet fall day's is all you need. Mine would be a Reg or a Dusky. Bill, sounds like the 23 Dusky is just what you are looking for!

Otherwise, I'm with Bgsdad, if you got all that money, just keep chartering all you have to do is catch em, don't have to worry about the boat.

·
Registered
621 Posts
www.calyberboatworks.com

Here's mine!:

Calyber 25 (Center Console):

Length without Bracket: 25'
Length with Bracket: 27' 6"
Beam at Transom: 8' 4"
Freeboard: 24"
Draft: 18"
Dry Weight: 4500 Pounds
Fuel Capacity: 120 Gallons
Deadrise at Transom: 11 Degrees
Maximum Power: 450 Horsepower

Now thats a center console for someone who has endless money! Gotta love those Carolina boats.

[ 09-21-2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: The Rod Bender ]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.