BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Brother-in Law offered to take me out later this month. I'm normally a
seashore fisherman with my own boat, but I'd like to give it a try for some Stripers. Any suggestions? We'll be launching from NE Philly.
When do they start showing up in that area? Lures or bait?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Whaler13

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I fish the River in mid-April. Hopefully, the herring are running. We anchor up around the Trenton bridges and jig for herring using Sabiki rigs. Put the fish in a live well, go to your favorite spot and live-line the herring. Haven't been skunked in over 10 years.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Down below the Commodore Barry Bridge, blood worms will catch fish. Big fish are up in the spring to spawn. My best fishing has been at night.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
NJ Angler did a great show of it. It explains just about everything. Go to njangler.com and click on tv show. It may be under past episode details if it's not on the main page.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hail gjet. livelining is the way to go. went out wit a friend liveinin and while catchin the herrin u may even snag a nice shad :) its good fun but gets better when u go up to the rapids to liveline. Watch the line and hold on.........

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I fished the Mullica for 2 hours on Monday with bloods. Not a touch. Not even any stolen baits from perch or flounder.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Round mid-April they really start to show up thick herring/bloodworms is probally your best bet. But they can deff. be caught on lures when you find the ryte conditions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
end of March we started getting them last year our best day in mid April, we caught 25 in maybe 6 hours of fishing 12 were over 20 pounds . Salted clams were the ticket, bloods work but catch smaller fish. Sand worms work great in the river but hard to get in philly area, however I even caught a carp last year on a sand worm. good luck . I use to fish near Navy yard did ok but found a HONEY HOLE ! I can't say where I would like to but people get upset but I can say this always try something different. Stay away from boats that are not catching anything( ie... the fleet) and I fish south of the Tacony and North of the Ben Franklin :)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have to second HayMrFish. I grew up on the river and have fished for these bass my whole life. I would kill them on bloods but never caught anything over 28 inches. A lot of great fish but not anything huge. Over the years though I have seen or read about big fish being taken on bloods.....just never got lucky. This year I have vowed no bloods. I am hitting the same holes that have produced for me but will be using herring, clams, chicken liver (yup for striper), bunker, etc, etc.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've fished the DE river since the striper's started showing up. The largest I have taken was a 50 lb fish several years ago at the mouth of the Rancocas creek. It was taken on Herring head cut about 1 inch behind the gills. and hooked through the nose using an egg sinker barrel swivel and 36" leader. We use blood worms until the Herring start to run. The bigger striper's seem to follow the herring up the river. Blood worms work great early but most of the fish caught are schoolies. The Herring catch the big fish. We live line a couple, and chunk a couple. For whatever reason I've caught the largest fish using just the head. Trenton bridge area is the best place to get Herring but they can be caught at the turnpike bridge when the run is strong. Try fishing the mouth of creeks, near bridges and points of islands and sand bars. Always try to put your bait along the channels edge. Good luck.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts