BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine stopped for dinner at a new eatery in Millville called Oliver's Twist and the specials for the day were salmon or striper. Is it legal to market stripers in NJ?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
If it's on the menue it's farm raised Striped Bass. No it is not legal to sell Striper in NJ.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
They should say farm raised. I think they are required to do that but not sure.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
or they can call it Hybrid Striped Bass. Once I caught one of my servers saying we had Stiper Provencale as a dinner special....let's just say she'll never make that mistake again.
Usually the farm raised or hybrids are smaller fish and therefore are much smaller and thinner filets on the plate.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
Originally posted by FIDLSTIXS:
I just had diner at a resturant in Pa. last night and they offered Rock Fish, Marlin and Sword Fish on the menue. :eek:
MARLIN UNFORTUNLEY IS SERVED IN A FAIR AMOUNT OF PLACES ALL OVER THE WORLD,SWOARDFISH IS A POPULAR WORLDWIDE FISH AND ROCK FISH COULD BE THE ALASKIAN FISH BY THAT NAME.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Don't know why you're surprised about the Swordfish. Most seafood restaurants up and down the eastern seaboard offer that on a daily basis...

EDIT: Oh, and in Millville it wouldn't surprise me if it WASN'T farm raised or hybrid stipers. Cumberland, Salem and southern Gloucester counties are so far off the radar that most people that do spot checks and regulate this sort of thing don't go into that area much unless there's a complaint filed. This gives restaurant owners a false sense of security in those areas and the feeling that they can do whatever they want.

(Felt the need to clarify what I was getting at. My original edit kinda seemed like I was bashing Millville or Cumb.County and that wasn't really the case.)

[ 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: cam ]

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Funny- cam I took it as you were bashing restaurant owners rather than our geograhical area. Me? I'm just looking for a sense of security-whether it's false or true. LOL

[ 12-13-2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Partnership ]

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
Funny- cam I took it as you were bashing restaurant owners rather than our geograhical area. Me? I'm just looking for a sense of security-whether it's false or true. LOL
Nah, not bashing. I just know a lot of restaurant owners around the state (I used to manage restaurants and made a lot of acquaintances over those 5 years) and I know what most of them are all about. I know that if you don't keep an eye on restaurant owners and managers that they'll do almost anything possible to make a buck.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I know that if you don't keep an eye on restaurant owners and managers that they'll do almost anything possible to make a buck.
Substitute senators and representatives in that statement and it'd ring just as true. After 18 years in the business from pot scrubber to chef Im not sure if whether I should take umbrange at that statement, or agree whole heartedly and offer a couple juicy war stories :D I must say it stings a bit that line about "and I know what most of them are all about" *yawn*

Its not just restaurants, alot of small business owners across the board are pretty crafty when it comes to that all important dollar. I've found the best route is to stick to the high road, and not devote too much time to the actions of those less scrupulous operators. Theres a certain satisfaction to knowing you do it right and haven't screwed anyone over for anything in the course of a career.
I've personally gotten to the point where it drives me insane to see something as seemingly benign as using crappy well bourbon in a "Jack Daniels" preparation.

[ 12-13-2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: glennexit13 ]

·
Registered
930 Posts
No point in taking umbrage as it's true in probably 90% of cases. Sure, there are always exceptions. Guys and gals that do the right thing, but they are exactly that, the exceptions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i saw striper being sold at an acme in south jersey, along with grouper and seabass. i also saw whole weakfish at a shoprite.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Was at the White Dog near U of P the other nite and they had wild nj striper on the menu ?
It was good!, I guess about a 18" fish by the fillet
blackfinjerry

·
Registered
147 Posts
No sale of striped bass including hybrids allowed in NJ. From the DEP site:

"Striped Bass (includes Hybrid Striped Bass)
The possession limit for striped bass/hybrid striped bass is two fish. One fish must be greater than or equal to 24 inches to less than
28 inches (slot fish) while the other fish must be 34 inches or greater. It does not matter which fish is harvested first. Anglers participating in the Striped Bass Program Bonus Program (see next page) may possess
an additional striped bass at 28 inches or greater. Anglers do not need to harvest a slot fish prior to taking a bonus fish.
It is illegal to take, catch or kill any striped bass from or in any marine waters of this state, by means of a net of any description, or by
any methods other than angling with a hook and line or by spear fishing.
It is illegal to possess any striped bass, or parts of a striped bass from which the head and/or tail has been removed (other than while in
preparation or being served as food), which is less than the legal minimum size.
Harvest and possession of striped bass from federal waters (outside three miles) is prohibited.
Sale of striped bass in New Jersey is prohibited."

Report anyone that offers any striped bass for sale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts