BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Pleasure to sail on board my friend Mark's boat along with Pgoins from the site.We headed out of Keyport Marine Basin at 6:30 pm.Mark netted some nice size Peanuts for our trip.The water was like a lake.And the heavy rain seemed like it was still far away.We took the ride to the Sandy Hook Rip and we took our first drift.Paul was drifting an eel,Mark was Live Lining a Peanut.Mark looked at me when I reached for a Sandworm and said Art use an eel.My reply was no.He laughed at me when he saw my rig.I dropped my line in and Wham fish on.This was a peeler.My first Bass of the night was 36".Mark was stunned because he never uses Sandworms.Mark set us up for the next drift and once again I hooked up.This time the Fish seemed even bigger than the one I just boated and it was.This Bass was 39" but round & fat.Mark & Paul looked at me and said Art what kind of Rig is that and I said the Charlie Rig.

Here is some info on this rig.

It's a long black rubber worm with a red firetail. An 11 inch Mr. Twister Phenom worm. I thread the plastic worm on a hook just like largemouth bass fishing. Have the hook come out of the "band". It should be hanging straight down with out any twists or angles. On that you put a sandworm. Hooked through the head. Let the worm hang down next to the plastic worm. Use that off a three way swivel.

With these 2 quality Bass in the box I wish I would have bought more of these rigs but I wanted to try 1 and see if they really worked.

Paul switched over and used Berkley Sandworm tipped with a whole Sandworm off a 3 way swivel.Paul hooked up this way on the next drift but the Bass spit the hook half way up.We took several more drifts and the bite just died and the weather started turning for the worse so we all said let's call it a night.

Art

[ 09-24-2004, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Nice report. I like that you included the info on the rig and techniques. Thats what reports are all about.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks for the report The Real Clamman, interesting read and hey it never hurts to try something different.

I'd be curious how long your leader was too?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have about a 30 or 40 inch leader to the hook. Have a shorter line to a bank sinker 25 inches. You need the hook leader longer than the sinker line so it does not get twisted up.

Drift that along the bottom. Feeling the bottom tap-tap as you go along with the current.

You have to adjust the size sinker for your conditions. I also tie an overhand knot just above the sinker creating a weak spot so I don't loose the whole rig when I get hung up. Just tie on a new sinker.

Hope this helps

Art

[ 09-20-2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: The real Clamman ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts