BASS BARN banner

Striper report - Virginia

11K views 101 replies 56 participants last post by  Joe D. 
#1 ·
The message below was sent to me from a friend that fished in Virginia 2 weeks ago. This is just sickening. Coincidentally, I was supposed to go on this trip but had to bail due to work obligations. I'm not posting this to bash the entire Virginia fishing fleet, as I'm sure there are some honest captains and mates. I'm just giving everyone a heads-up to make sure when you book a trip down there, to make certain you speak with the captain before you leave the dock:

We were celebrating our catches while eating lunch, heading back to the dock with our limit before 12:00. Suddenly we found ourselves in a situation in which the mate and captain were telling us that we were way out past the 3 mile limit. They were thinking about dumping the catch because their spotters notified them that the marine police were on the way out. Moments later a marine police unit was on top of our boat. It was about to prepare to board us when one of the boats next to us began tossing their fish overboard. The cops left our boat and went directly to that boat and boarded it. Our captain steamed away and when we where about two miles away, we watched in disbelief as the mate gutted out our fish and tossed them over board.

At least 5 other boats from the Virginia Beach fishing center did the same thing. The ones that brought in fish were out there fishing where we were but they got in before the marine police arrived. We were sickened by the entire experience. The Virginia Beach Fishing Center is a fraud. A bunch of cheats. The captain told us it is just what they do, no big deal to them. Up to the point of the senseless waste of fish, we were having a great time.

See less See more
#6 ·
There is no regard for the law down there... Charter captains are not cancelling their trips, they are knowingly sailing, well aware that they will be fishing, and killing striped bass well into the EEZ - POACHING. Then they brag about it.... Its not like 1, 2 or three boats either.... Nearly the entire VA and NC fleet! Boys are trying to open the eez to 12 miles down there!

#7 ·
I was fine with the post until I read they dumped the fish over board. If they practiced C&R in the No EEz thatd be ok...even if they ventured out there for a little meat here and there I would not complain. but to dump all these big bass over board is out right nuts:confused:..and then he steams away reall quick while they chase another boat...ahaha i think i need to head to VA for some comic relief.

#9 ·
If your not going to respect the rules and regulations of fishing than you don't deserve to be a fisherman. Or teach other people to fish. It is people like that who ruin the sport for us.

#11 ·
Obviously the penalties don't match the crime and the enforcement of the law appears to be a cat and mouse game of a joke down there. Ok, so everybody (almost) is doing it right? Don't you think if they strictly enforce the law and the penalties become severe enough that it would stop? At the minimum it would become a less of, everybody is doing it why shouldn't I problem!

#14 ·
How are these rules enforced in NJ or any other areas?? Probably not enough with not enough financial penalty attached to the infraction.
I think a lot of people who do not fish regularly do not even know that you are not supposed to keep fish caught from outside the 3 mile limit or any of the rules or fishing regs for the areas they are fishing. If a group of people just are visiting a location for once a year vacation and decide to go out fishing on a charter they are most probably relying on the Charter to be legal and follow all regs set by gov. Someone like this would not have a clue what the regs are as well as how far out the boat is taking them to fish. Maybe all charter boat should have copies of all regs posted in plain sight at all times. Most party boats do have them in plain view but most charters that I see have them tucked on a shelf or in a folder on the boat.

Anyone going down to fish could always do the charter and take a camera with them. Take a shot of the fish when caught and simply snap a shot of the GPS # from the boats unit. The camera will Day/date /time signature and prove were/when it was caught. Send to F&G Virginia
Oh, if you are on the boat outside the 3mi limit (and know you are) insist on the fish being released. Snap a few shots of that also.
Link to lower Ches bay chart: (showing 3 mile "line")
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12221.shtml

Take a look at the Delaware Bay chart (below link) here to see were the 3 mile line runs. I bet a lot of guys don't realize that some of the famous "rips" and other areas fished for striper in the lower bay actually go outside the 3 mile area. Take a look at the chart and you will be surprised.
Link to Delaware Bay chart: (showing 3 mile "line")
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12304.shtml

I have seen many boats (private, charter and party) outside this line numerous times over the last several years. It is pretty easy to slip E or SE from the line while fishing and not even realize you are out.
Regs need to change less fish kept per DAY per ANGLER not per TRIP. Sizes of fish should be reviewed each year to see which sizes and how many should be kept or released. Stiff penalties need to be in place for breaking the rules. Reading reports from a lot of web sites and seeing what is going on only shows the 'honor" system obviuosly is not working in the fisheries. Only way to really solve this is if there is a real monitary loss, fines or penalties for people breaking the rules.

#16 ·
I'll bet that if the Virginia Marine Police or Game Wardens were to start hopping on those charters posing as fishermen it could make those pirates think twice about going out past the 3 mile limit. That is, unless Virginia is making too much money on the pirates. If that's the case then it'll never happen.

#19 · (Edited)
The more I read this post the more it makes me realize how pissed off this makes me... Now I know this post is about the charter boat a-holes in Va...and dont get me wrong...I'm w/ everybody else...while not a big fan of law enforcement w/ recreational issues...f-k it, lock these bastards up!! They have an obligation to show their customers a good time, catch fish and hold up the rules/regs that the sport/industry has to live by!! What they're doing is simply unforgivable!!
But for everybody in general........Now, I'm both young enough/old enough to have seen first hand what good/poor management can do to a fishery. Up until about 10 yrs ago, I don't think I even knew what a striper looked like...even though I heard plenty of stories from the old timers about the glory days of catching tons of em. Then all of a sudden in the last few yrs we had a fantastic fishery back and everyone was able to see the abundance of these fish!! Hey don;t get me wrong I'm thrilled everybody's out there catching them...but why does everybody need to take so many! Granted w/ my work schedule and living so close to my boat I get to fish more then avg...but even if I only took my limit a few times out...I'd be eating striper 24/7 and still have enough for friends to give away!! My point is...people should only be taking what they need...instead of taking 8 cows on a 4 man trip...just to show em off at the dock, then fillet them like ****, leaving half the meat on racks (trust me I see this all the time in the marinas)...and probably using most of other meat for crab bait after it gets freezer burn in 2 mnths...take 2-3 and picture/release the rest! Guys I know its hard....trust me...I'm a meat in the box kinda guy....and nothing makes me happier then a long-long fillet session w/ a few beers at the end of the day...but we really don't have the choice...soon it will be just a few beers and that's it!!! And if none of that makes sense...look up the data on these cows...most ageee the smaller males taste better, but from an overall health standpoint...these big-guns just aint too good for us...I'd much rather enjoy a tastier small guy then have grilled a tuff, chemical loaded, baby-bass making machine!!!! Just imho of course.....

#24 ·
i agree its a shame but what i hope more than anything is the only reason we are hearing this report is that the charter didn,t get to keep there fish from the length of the ride out and not seeing land one should know your outside 3 miles look at a lot of the reports here how many time have you seen land in the picture

#26 ·
Please! Half the keeper stripers landed in NJ came from outside the 3ml line. New Jersey fishermen are a little smarter,they do not brag about it on the internet. Couple that with a few other Jersey facts like, we only have one conservation officer for ever million" residents. We do not have a saltwater license that could be revoked for a violation. Example, 2 violations in five years, a nj hunter looses his hunting license for two years. We do not have the funds to hire more conservation officers or biologist. Some biologist think NJ anglers do not have access to their share of the striper quota due to changing migration patterns.

#30 ·
I have been stopped by VA Marine police four times last year. It was always inside the 3mi limit and they were check flounder at the time. Fine is something like $112 per fish that is undersized. I found the officers to be very respectful, courteous, and thorough checking every possible compartment. So my experience has been that side of the equation works correctly. As to the captains catching outside of the 3mile limit, they pretty much know the fish are outside to start with. There are daily reports as to where the fish are and that's where they head. As a customer, you should also pay attention and not just with a wink and nod leave it to the captain to make sure your legal. If you can barely see the shoreline, you know your too far off. Yes you paid to fish, not necessarily to catch. Be upfront with the captain and tell him to be above board. So my though is both parties are at fault.

#33 ·
so what do we do to stop this? bitching on a new jersey fishing forum isnt gonna do anything, lets start a petition or something... these are our fish too in may/june and october/november, its BS they let this happen.

then again, those capts. down there probably wouldnt have anything to fish for if it werent for illegal bass... this is their job... maybe not worth it to put em out of business?? i dunno.

#34 ·
One thing to do would be to lead by example. I know in North Jersey, the fish usually are right along the beach, once you get farther south around Cape May, not so much.

The fish are everybody's fish, and the rules are the rules. Why the selective outrage at Va and Nc and nary a peep about fishing the "Bank" in our own states?
The rules need to be either enforced, or removed, because the selective enforcement is breeding unrest and jealousy.
Frankly I could care less where the stripers are being caught at, I am more concerned about the quality of the fish being killed. Bring back the slot limit, and fish for them wherever they swim would be my solution.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.