BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for the striper slaughter pictures of the way they used to catch somewhere in the Carolina's with nets & fill pickup beds. Anyone know the sight.

·
Registered
32,485 Posts
They did the same thing a couple of years ago around southern VA at the mouth of the Chesapeake. I think they tried changing the commercial limit from pounds to number of fish and the commercials kept dumping by-catch until they had a mess of breeders. It impacted the Chesapeake fishery the next year. I forget all the details but the Maryland recreational fishermen were mad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys . This is an example of what netting can do to fish stocks, & probably the reason we've seen the flounder & weakfish stocks so low.I've seen what netters capture & it's not pretty.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
gO TO STRIPERSFOREVER.COM and you will find evidence of slaugther

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes StripersForever
has a good picture of the slaughter netters cause.
Especially ain't worth a dang when they loose the net and don't even get the fish to market.
I took that photo in Dec.'01 on Ocracoke Island,NC.
It was a sorry site.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the latest ploy.....you here it all over south jersey, "the stripers are eating all the weakfish, crabs and everything that swims." What they really mean is give us permission to net $1000 worth of stipers a day. When the stripers are gone you won't have anymore weakies or crabs than you do now. One time when I was down at nags head i watched the beach guys net some weakies and stripers, about 50 or so. they threw all the bycatch dead blowfish (hundreds of them) all over the beach I picked up a bunch of blowfish for dinner but what a wasteful way to make a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"Diss **** able" it is ><)
)))'>

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Originally posted by NICK:
Thanks guys . This is an example of what netting can do to fish stocks, & probably the reason we've seen the flounder & weakfish stocks so low.I've seen what netters capture & it's not pretty.
Nick,
Just remember that many of those pictures are what happened MANY years ago and many laws are in place to stop the same actions again. Both commercial fishing and recreational fishing has its place in the fishing industry. Are the holes exploited??? Absolutely. Not much difference in a netter throughing over a small fish because he is allowed 10 big ones or a recreational guy throwing over a 36" bass that was already dead and in the cooler because he caught a 45" one.

Hating netters for past actions that at the time were completely legal is like hating germans now because of the holocaust.

Have you ever been on a net boat? Pulled a longline or a haul seine or a gill net?

I can only assume that you are looking for these pics for some type of show. Please, if you do, report it properly. If the pictures are old and where representative of a time when it was legal. REPORT IT THAT WAY. No matter what, I am sure you will find people that will claim that netters are the root of all evil without falsifying pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts