BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I caught a 26 inch Bass 3 nights ago. It shot what looked like egg fertlizer (white milky fluid) all over the rocks. I was wondering if anybody has had this happen? Does it mean they are starting early because of the warmer temps?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
So, I caught a 26 inch Bass 3 nights ago. It shot what looked like egg fertlizer (white milky fluid) all over the rocks. I was wondering if anybody has had this happen?
Or it could mean that it thought you were a handsome devil and was excited to see ya! :razz: ;) (that's a joke, for anyone who was offended...) :eek:

**Seriously. I have been noticing similar things as well...I have seen quite a few of these fish and have some theories a few friends and I have been talking about...I'll come back to this thread in about 2 weeks and try to talk about some of em....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
all though some spawning may begin early, i dont believe the whole biomass of stipers will spawn early due to water temp alone.there are countless factors that dictate spawn times..ie, food supply, moon phase, river hights. i have caught egg laiden females as early as mid-febuary as far north as comm-barr bridge, and agian in early june. go figure...?:huh:

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Maybe..water temps are still 45-47...:eek:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Maybe that fish would be splooging if he was where he usually is too?

Water temps may be a factor, but you have to believe there are more important biological clocks which dictate that the eggs are laid in optimal conditions. I think there are more important factors for spawning success over water temp as well?

I find it hard to believe that the striped bass will not be doing exactly what they should be right around exactly when they should be. They have been doing this too long to get fooled by some unseasonably warm waters??

RyanF

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's jus like a wet dream when u were a kid these young bass r moving into eraly spawn years and r jus jacked up ready to go sometimes.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
It's jus like a wet dream when u were a kid these young bass r moving into eraly spawn years and r jus jacked up ready to go sometimes.
Premature ejaculation?

RyanF

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
So, I caught a 26 inch Bass 3 nights ago. It shot what looked like egg fertlizer (white milky fluid) all over the rocks. I was wondering if anybody has had this happen? Does it mean they are starting early because of the warmer temps?
Natural re-action. Most Stripers start having re-productive fluid(males) and eggs(females) when they reach a quite early age,when they get to 20 inches. Last ditch effort when he knew he was being caught to release his fluid in the hopes of connecting with some eggs--to proliferate the species. While most of these young males dont really go on spawning runs as their bigger brothers do--they have the 'tools' + 'equipment' to practice with. There are LOTS of small stripers caught during the Spring Spawn run up the Delaware River--they basically go along for the ride with the bigger -actual-spawning Stripers. Sort of like school-work---learning the spawn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts