1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting video. It has been floating around some New Englnd boards for about a week. This fish was supposedly taken off of Block Island 2-3 weeks ago in 20-30 feet of water and went 60.5 lbs. Tough to tell it's size in the video....then again , I have a tough time guessing weight out of the water.

Skip

·
Registered
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Jeff - Fazmataz:
That's great! :D :D :D
Based on my lack of success this fall, it might be time to break out the wetsuit :D

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Thats different, whats cool is he has other bass swimming around him. Literally as the saying goes "Swimming with the fishes" :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Originally posted by johnny d:
Does anybody know the depth and how cold was the water?
I used to do alot of diving, I would say the depth was about 20 - 25ft. Kicked off the bottom at 22 second mark, broke surface at 39. Breathhold guys can ascend faster than those using SCUBA, easy to do better than a foot a second even towing that pig.

Three weeks ago off Block Island surface temp was low to mid 50's, at depth upper 40's I'd say.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's an interesting video, but I don't see that much skill. I know the guy has stones for diving in freezing waters and holding his breath and whatnot, but honestly, the thing was just sitting right in front of him. I'm sure it was a lot more difficult than it looks, but there's something to be said for actually fishing, i.e. studying techniques, learning how your prey thinks, getting in the right conditions, etc.
The fish is absolutely incredible, but I would have been ten times as impressed if he had caught it conventionally.

Now the guy's that caught the world record Tunas spearfishing, that's impressive.
http://www.freedive.net/ibsrc/fish_pgs/bft_pa.htm

Prof I had to edit your posts due to your signature containing links to personal/other websites. We only allow paying advertisers to put links in there sigs. All other members we ask not to do so. Hopefully you understand that if we allowed everyone to add links it would be impossible to control what those links connected to. Please remove it for future posts. Thanks for your cooperation in advance. RodFather

[ 11-25-2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Theprof, you have got to be kidding me if you don't see the skill involved,i have been fishing my entire life and spearfishing for about the last 10 and i must say that spearfishing is alot more challenging and fun and you learn a hell of alot more about the way stripers behave underwater than you can above the water,anybody can anchor up on the edge of a channel and throw a couple clams and catch fish but to freedive you have to be alot more skilled,everyone of my buddies that i have taken have fallen in love with it and allo of us have caught bass on ronreel over 40lbs and we all agree spearing big bass is way more fun so jump in and maybe you'll have alittle more appreciation for it and you'll become alot better fisherman in the process

·
Registered
497 Posts
okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that it didn't look like there was that much skill involved, that was the wrong phrase to use. I'm sure it takes alot to learn and perfect the technique, and that's why he made it look so easy. I've done some back bay snorkeling in the summer time and have seen nice sized fluke that I could have speared had I had the equipment, so the anchor up and throw a couple of clams analogy is just as pertinent for spearfishing. The point that I was trying to make was that I was excited to see the video when I read it, but it just seemed anti-climactic when I did. I have total respect for spearfishermen, I'm not trying to take anything away from them or you, the video just didn't impress me.
As for learning more about their tendencies underwater, point well taken. But I would rather dive and observe and then put that knowledge to use while surface fishing. To each his own. No disrepect meant, we're all fishermen in the end. Good hunting to you.

Prof I had to edit your posts due to your signature containing links to personal/other websites. We only allow paying advertisers to put links in there sigs. All other members we ask not to do so. Hopefully you understand that if we allowed everyone to add links it would be impossible to control what those links connected to. Please remove it for future posts. Thanks for your cooperation in advance. RodFather

[ 11-25-2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
278 Posts
I admire the skill and recognize that others might find sport in it, don't get me wrong. It just seems to be a grossly visceral way for a 60 pounder to buy it. A fish that's been around for pushing 20 years, avoiding nets, avoiding hooks is just swimming along and DOOOOSSHHHHH! it's skewered through and drug up to the surface twitching in its death throes. At the risk of being self-serving, there's something more elegant about the battle between you and the fish when using hook and line. The fish has a fighting chance to pull the hook, chafe the line on pilings or rocks, test your knot tying, test your skill in playing it, etc. With spearfishing stripers, once the trigger is pulled, it's a foregone conclusion.

That said, it's a nice fish.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.