BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of the posts and know how some of us feel about up giving spots so everyone can relax this is just a general info question.I plan on fishing the tide Saturday at TI and wonder if the spots that I fished in the spring might still be productive in the fall. Do the fish have different patterns in the fall that would lead them away from where I found the in the spring? Thanks in advance to any who answer.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Great question. For specific spots, I have found that stages of the tide that were productive during the spring are NOT necessarily productive in the fall (especially this late in the fall). I think this is driven primarily by differences in water temperature between when the fish around in the spring and when they're around in the fall.

What I have also found though is that spots and tide stages that are effective in the spring are effective every spring. Same is true with the fall. This is another justification for keeping a detailed fishing log.

Hopefully you'll get more responses so we all can compare notes on this question.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barnegat Light Mike quick follow up.
Do you think that opposite stages of tide are productive in the fall at particular spots? In other words if the spot is hot on the in comming-high in the spring have you found that it is productive say at slack or out going-low in the fall?

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Originally posted by Wharf Rat:
Thanks Barnegat Light Mike quick follow up.
Do you think that opposite stages of tide are productive in the fall at particular spots? In other words if the spot is hot on the in comming-high in the spring have you found that it is productive say at slack or out going-low in the fall?
Not sure what Mike thinks but I would say no to that one. The stage of the tide has more to do with the bottom contour.

I actually have an untested theory that this late in the year the fish go back to eating clams (like they were in the spring) so some of the spring spots may be productive. BUT they are doing something completely different. In the spring they are staging up to head up river and spawn. This holds them in the clam beds in say lower DB until they get the urge to move and we hammer them the whole time. In the fall the pattern is one of leaving to head south. So while I don't think the spring spots will be AS productive in the fall, I do think there is a a good chance the fish will top by on their way south for a clam or two now that the bunker have moved on.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Darrin has a very interesting theory. I'd be very interested to hear other opinions on his idea.

Wharf Rat - To offer my thoughts on your follow up, I think it's awfully tough to generalize, but I know one spot where I fish in both spring and fall -- the fish are consistently there in the spring at the top of the tide but during the fall at the exact same spot, they are only there during a raging outgoing. Again, I think this is more driven by water temp than anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts