BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a chance to fish with a few friends near Perrault Falls, Ontario for a week each summer. The fishing is great and we mostly target walleye. When we catch our limit (2 each) for dinner, then we target northerns and smallies. There are big muskies in the waters we fish but we haven't really targeted them. On several occasions huge muskies have shown themselves by the boat following lures, caught fish or just out of curiosity (we think).

I am thinking of trying for muskies using some of my striper tackle. Has anyone done that? Any suggestions for lures, plugs, jigs etc.? There is very little fishing pressure in the waters where we fish, so I am thinking that this approach might be interesting. What do Barners think?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Funny you should ask this question... I just watched the most kick A** episode of "the Hunt for Big Fish" with Larry Dahlberg. If you didnt see it I highly suggest you give it a google.... They were muskie and striper fishing in Tennessee of all places. They fished the same tackle, lures, etc... They caught so many big bass on lures that I want to move to Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,268 Posts
Funny you should ask this question... I just watched the most kick A** episode of "the Hunt for Big Fish" with Larry Dahlberg. If you didnt see it I highly suggest you give it a google.... They were muskie and striper fishing in Tennessee of all places. They fished the same tackle, lures, etc... They caught so many big bass on lures that I want to move to Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!
You stole my reply! I watched that how and it was awesome. Those monster sized plastics that Dahlberg makes himself would just crush the stripers around here. I was thinking of ordering the kit but man, that is one messy way to make a big lure.... would really need a dedicated area int he house to do it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I do the reverse, fish stripers with the Shimano Musky rod #CPC-M68XH, very powerful rod, very sensitive, IM8 graphite, very light at 8oz. 6'8" line rated 20-50lb., lure wt. 3-6oz. Fast action. Retails c. $120, can buy one new on eBay for half that. Lifetime guarantee. A steal.

Paired with a Avet sx, total outfit weighs a whole 1.5 pounds, can handle anything inshore or big cod in 200' and won't wear you out at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You stole my reply! I watched that how and it was awesome. Those monster sized plastics that Dahlberg makes himself would just crush the stripers around here. I was thinking of ordering the kit but man, that is one messy way to make a big lure.... would really need a dedicated area int he house to do it.
I got some stuff you might like. About the same length but a slimmer profile.

·
Registered
162 Posts
One of my favorite rods for stripers is a Shimano Compre Muskie rod:D. This rod out trolls all my rods in the spring when pulling stretch 25's
It is an amazing rod, and only 8 oz. When we had our boat and trolled some, I recall you needed a lot of backbone to troll stretch 25s.

I learned of this rod earlier this year fishing next to a guy on the Adam Bomb who was using the Convergence (now replaced by the Compre line). Let me try it, amazing combo with an Avet. Had to buy one for my wife too, who was so jealous. LOL

·
Registered
395 Posts
Muskie Tackle

One of my favorite rods for stripers is a Shimano Compre Muskie rod:D. This rod out trolls all my rods in the spring when pulling stretch 25's

Exactly, the CPC-M72XH musky rod, 3-6 oz, 20-50lb loves the stretch lures like the Maja & Seeker rods love the bunker spoons.

They also work well with jigs and can easily drag umbrellas with the right reel.
Caught many fluke at the reefs on rougher days with heavier weights too.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
St.Croix, a Minn. (USA) co makes a very nice muskey rod I've used for years fishing both bass and big drum. One of my "go to's".
This is one of the best muskie rods out there. Both rods mentioned are probably in the top 3.

As far as tackle, the 2 almost go hand in hand. So many people use the same tackle for both. Theres a Muskie Shop from up North, that advertises in most of the Striped Bass Magazines, if thats another indication of how close they are?

Muskie are a little more aggressive IMO, but the same styles, colors will work. Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I also use a Loomis muskie rod for stripers. The only thing I would change is replace the 30lb braid I use for stripers with 50 lb for musky. All my muskie fishing has been over weed beds and once they are hooked they head for the weeds. If you google musky lures, I'm sure you will find more than you need. My favorite has always been a LARGE inline spinner with lots of hair.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what are recommendations for a good muskie rod....I don't mean which brand... I mean size and ratings.....6'....6.6"....7'.....med....med/hv....heavy...med action....fast action etc. ? Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.