BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Football season is just about over so not
Much to do but start getting ready for the spring. If I were to completely re-stock on tackle for striper, where would I start and what would I need. This will only be my 3rd spring that I am fishing for stripers and I want to be prepared and do it right this year. Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
A quick question...........

Plugs, jigs, or bait?
Boat, sods, bridges, or surf?
Trolling, drifting, or anchored?
Day or night?
March/April in the back?
May/June out front?
Oct/Nov/Dec out front?

;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I was talking about spring, from a boat and thats what I would like to know... What type of tackle/gear/tactics for the early months of spring then into the summer into the fall. Mainly different kinds of plugs, jigs, lures. Im looking for general tackle as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
New to the Game,
Im sure most of the guys on here can & will answer ur questions... but its so broad in scope that its difficult... guys have written books on what ur asking... so try narrow it down as much as u can. I dont want to be too longwinded so since spring is almost here, lets start there. As for artificials from a boat, I dont think u can go any simpler than a bucktail with any number of adornments, a twisted rubber worm will work fine. Having a boat opens up alot of room for different tackle, if you're not trolling than I imagine you would be jigging... any metal jig would do fine. If you're into plugs, try Bombers... they're pretty easy to use... but again, there's so many brands & most are good. Guys will say "match the hatch" so in the spring, the bass are chasing the herring & in the fall they're feeding on sandeels. If they're on top & you can see them or birds, try some poppers like the "Smack-It". The list goes on & on. My advice is to subscribe to one of the local fishing magazines like "The Fisherman"... there is always annual articles on how to fish for bass at different times of year. Keep reading & you'll pick it up & dont be afraid to try new things. Good Luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I understand (many different techniques for many different situations). Thanks for your input didnt mean to make it such a broad question. So I will make it simple, what is a must have lure for the spring that every striper fisherman most likely has? Im trying to update my tackle a little thats all. And when the spring season comes along, which is right around the corner, if anyone wants or needs an extra guy to go along for a trip I would love to join and learn as much as I can. Obviously I would pay my way as well, costs and everything.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Farrell's got it.

Snag hook trebles or cast net if you have a good size live well. Single 7-8/0 circle hooks.

Spring time, poppers that give a big splash. Swimming lures like a sebile.

Think of the size the adult bunker are and go with that size frame lures.

Clamming,,3way sinker slides and 4-5/0 j hook.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Early spring in April you would use stickbaits and jigs i believe like bombers and avas. When the bunker show up its all about the weighted trebele hook. Tie it on cast it to the middle of the school and once you snag one open the bail and let it drop down. What this does is seperate your fish from the school and the bass feeding underneath will notice the injured bunker. This is how i caught my biggest bass @ 44 pounds last June. If im using a spinning reel with a baitrunner i will use the baitrunner and wait for the bass to start screaming off and then wait about 5-8 seconds then set the hook. If im using a non baitrunner spinning reel i will just loosen the drag so the bunker can freely take the line and then once the bass picks it up i will again count and then tighten the drag down and set the hook. You can also use circle and j hooks with egg sinkers if your releasing the fish.

In the fall its jigging and trolling. If your jigging find schools on the fishfinder and drop down to them. I usally drop it to the bottom jig it a few times to puff up some sand and then take a few cranks jig a little more and keep working the entire water column. Also if you see blitzing fish go up current of them and cast to them instead of running through them. If your trolling use 9ers umbrella rigs. Black red green and white sandeel rigs all have their days but go one light color and one dark so you can cover the field without breaking the bank. Also use shad in green with black stripes, white, white with black back and also chartreuse. Troll these with rods that can handle the umbrellas drag. You can use mono braid or wire. Ive always used mono and never had a problem. I always use a 3ft 200lb leader between the rig and the snap. I always use a nice coast lock snap swivel then an 8 ounce trolling weight then clip that to your leader. Troll them at 2-3kts and adjust with current and how the fish like it. Just drop the rig the bottom and when you feel it hit The bottom take a few cranks up. You can also use stretch 25s and 30s. I use a nice flexible rod so it can really work. These are the easiest lures to troll and the least expernsive.

I just gave you a lot of info so if your unclear about anything email me at [email protected].

John

·
Registered
719 Posts
In the spring I’ll usually troll until the bunker show up. “Go to” lure for me is a green #4 Maja spoon and on the other side I will usually start with a shad umbrella rig, or a white Maja spoon. Depending on what is working, I will adjust from there. Stretch 25’s are also in the mix.

Once the bunker show up, it is all about snag and drop. Like FarrelX and JJL said, get yourself plenty of treble hooks. I’ll run those off of 4-5 feet of 60# mono leader. Typically I will grab a few bunker for the livewell in case you lose the bunker school. Once you have a few in the livewell, I’ll usually fish one or 2 on the bottom (use a fishfinder rig and whatever sinker is required to get it down) and then I will fish 1 or 2 right where I snag them (just get the bunker on and stick the rod in the rod holder). When livelining, pay attention to the holy $hit dance…the bunker sees a predator coming and starts to panic. Wait for the bass to hit the bunker before setting the hook (as JJL said, several seconds). They often bump it before they strike and you don’t want to pull the bait away from the bass. Also, you need to figure out how many live baits you can fish off of your boat. Tangles are a nightmare if you try to fish too many.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. My confidence is at an all time high right now!(which will soon fade haha). I really would like to catch a striper on a lure, never have before. So thanks again.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. My confidence is at an all time high right now!(which will soon fade haha). I really would like to catch a striper on a lure, never have before. So thanks again.
Keep doing what you're doing. Gathering info in the off season. Start rearming your tackle box with the things that sound good. And then once it starts, just put in your time. Different spots, different tides, different times of day, different methods.........

Put in your time, and you WILL catch them on jigs, catch them on plugs, catch them on snagged bunker, catch them on clam, all of it.

Keep your gear in good condition, tie your knots right, and just put in your time once it starts, and you really should be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Great advice you're getting here. When fishing artificials, the one thing you absolutely need to bring with you any trip is....confidence. Don't doubt what you are throwing, when you are throwing it and where you are throwing it. I have wasted lots of time fishing one spot and changing lures every 10-15 minutes whiles second guessing my choice of location, tide, structure, bait etc. I wasn't catching those times because I let myself "get in my own head" and made fishing more complicated than it is. Keep it simple and start out with a few plugs, maybe 5 different ones. Match the hatch is good advice but remember that there are multiple "hatches" at any given time and stripers are sea-going vaccuums...they don't often turn down a nearby meal be it a clam or blurple bomber or piece of metal with a hook attached. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
still waters lures smack it jr.

the black with rattle and white hair on treble is the ticket .this is a striper slayer for sure along the sod in may and june all summer hell.first and last light this lure is deadly if stripers are not caught they are not there .as far as striper chunkin clams in the bay OFF THE HOOK IN CM just posted free t shirt with 50.$ purchase so 40lb .floro,barrel swivels ,weight holders and sinkers,6/o gami circles for clam and stock up on 8/0 for fall bunker chunkin and get free shirt to boot .i have no affiliation with store other than a happy customer. see you out there

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
stretch 25

Well I was talking about spring, from a boat and thats what I would like to know... What type of tackle/gear/tactics for the early months of spring then into the summer into the fall. Mainly different kinds of plugs, jigs, lures. Im looking for general tackle as well.
My go to lure when alone in a boat trolling is Manns stretch 25. A reg. 6ft./7ft. boat rod, a con.reel that can hold 30 lb./40 lb. test line,an out rodder if you have one. read the directions on the package,a slow troll. They are easy to fish ,with out getting into umbrellas and bunker spoons ,which are fine but need special equipment. Thats a story for another post. If you can get to a boat show they sometimes have semminars on bass fishing by some of the best charter capts. in the business.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
keep it simple, IE match the hatch, it seems that early spring its good to "match the hatch" herring or pogies after that its all about sand eels, hopefully this helps from Cape Cod

HERRING - I like Storm Wildeye swim baits natural color

SANDEELS - Cape Cod Sand Eel Lures 7 or 7 1/2 inch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts