BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to fish for striper this fall in the CM area. I am new to this type of fishing and have been a lurker of the striper posts. I have a 21 ft. cc boat in bree-zee-lee marina. I have been trying to learning the area and have been fishing for fluke, croakers, blues, ect. thru out the summer. I really would like to start targeting the stripers this fall. I have shimano 4500 bait runners and shimano TLD25. I asume these reels should be fine. I am looking for suggestions for line strength, lures, and live bait and chunk rigs.

Thanks
ddubbs
Dave (bree-zee-lee)

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Hey Dave - The bait runners are awesome. Great reel for chunking or live bait. What rods are you gonna put them on?

For chunking bunker/clam -
30 braid or 17 lb Momoi mono
fishfinder rig and enough lead to hold
Spro swivel
fluro leader (30 for mono - 50lb for braid)
10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook - chunks use 6/0 but see below

Bunkerhead - chunks are for chummin j/k - some days they only hit the chunks - but Heads are my personal preference ;)

if you are gonna troll get some stretch 25's or tube -n- worm - bunker spoon really require specialized rods & extra reels - total different ballgame - .....

shad rigs work well but bluefish eat the **** out of them - I just dont like em but they do work and can work very well. Be prepared to replacing lots of shad bodies if you troll them blues are around.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This is a perfect example of why I believe people should hire a charter captain. They will teach you how to do it and where to go. for a cheaper way, research the board advertisers that provide open boat trips.

in my opinion, you will see the equipment firsthand, while learning the area. any charter captain worth their salt will have no issues teaching someone like yourself knowing that you are going to go it on your own after the trip. that is what we get paid to do.

good luck

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chris i do agree with what you are saying,But this guy seems to know how to fish.He is just looking for a little guidence from the members here.Maybe he doesnt want to spend the $$ on a Chareter trip and remeber thats what we are all here for is INfo,So Dubbs The Advice that Brian has given you is Top Notch.Just dont go out without the Proper amount of Bait.Sometimes the Beginner Bass man doesnt chunk enough to keep em behind the Boat.I usually go with no less Than 25 Fresh Bunker and I stress Fresh,,somedays Dayolds wont even get a sniff.Get Yourself some Snagging Hooks just incase a school of Bunker passes close by.Get out your chart and start looking for little fingers and gullys and get on em around the end of October.Just dont give up,,the bass are there when you perfect your own way of catching them you will know.If you have any specific questions E-mail me,,I would be glad to answer them,Good luck HRL

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Chris - I thought hew knew how to fish. Believe me, I'd be the first one to say fish with a captain & a sponsor - heck, I could name 1/2 dozen I've fished with.

Believe me, since my grandpa passed in 94 I've learned has come from the mighty fine cappys here AND the people, including yourself at the Sportsmen Center & the Somerset Shows

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian and Bunka, Thanks for the info. Real good stuff. Chris I respect your veiw about chartering a captain to take me out on a trip. I have no problem with that at all. I have paid myway on charters for 15 years, but not for striper fishing. Maybe I should do that and learn from the experts. I am just getting started, I love this site, and I love to fish, and i want to learn.

Thanks guys,
ddubbs

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Hey Dave,
Brian as always has good advice, and I've seen him come back to the dock with some nice stripers
If you have any more questions I'm right next door and would be happy to go over your rigging with you. I'm not in Mullaney's class yet but we have the same teacher :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chuck, I will be over to see you. I will need to stock up on rigging materials.

Thanks
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts