BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new here in the forum and the striper game. Out of Atlantic Highland, I plan on taking my lady for some striper action. Any tips on what's going on and what to do (troll/chunk) out there in the Sandy Hook bay area. I'd appreciate any input to make this a Happy Mother's Day for her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be prepared to troll, chunk, live line or clam & look for the fleet lol not joking, Seems like every day the method & bait of choice is changing.
Good luck & enjoy your time on the water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skunked again this weekend. Trolled the Raritan and Sandy hook bay both Saturday and Sunday on strech 25/30, nada. Tried some fresh clam, I had a runoff. I heard it on the radio that some anglers werre catching. I hope they stay around for another week or two. I am determined to ctach myself one. Can you drift live bait or do you have to anchor ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Skunked again this weekend. Trolled the Raritan and Sandy hook bay both Saturday and Sunday on strech 25/30, nada. Tried some fresh clam, I had a runoff. I heard it on the radio that some anglers werre catching. I hope they stay around for another week or two. I am determined to ctach myself one. Can you drift live bait or do you have to anchor ?
If you're talking about bunker, yes most people drift with it. Chunking is usually an anchor up thing, but sometimes it works drifting them depending on the conditions.. Some years we are catching bass regularly till July in the bay. You've got some time.

·
Registered
341 Posts

I started out on Bass in Raritan Bay. I would suggest for starting out anchoring up along the reach. At the bait store ask for fresh bunker unless you know how to snag your own or throw a net. Don't "over chunk it" or you will be covered up with bluefish. fish finder rig with 3-4 ounces of weight and a circle hook with a 3-4 foot leader of mono or fluorocarbon, never really made a difference for me. Don't set the hook with circle hook, let'em run and then engage the drag and they hook themselves. Catch'em up!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have been striper fishing pretty long and my opinion is you really dont know what is going to be the hot bait of choice til your out there. Sometimes it takes me a couple of hours before I realize whats working. And sometimes we go through all the tackle draws and still come up empty,other times you can throw cat food at them and clean up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was referring to using clams. I assume it's the same as chunking bunkers and live eels. Well we lucked out on SAT, trolling around Raritan and Sandy Hook. Got a bunch of blues of good size. Then the last fish was a 35" striper. Finally, what a exciting way to end the day. Spent a lot of gas trolling around but it was worth it for my lady. She was so happy to land the biggest fish she ever caught. Be back next week to try anchoring, thank you guys for the tips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts