BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many fisherman swear by fishing in complete darkness at night when targeting stripers, and keeping the lights off the water sure does seem to help produce more fish on many nights. I recently found an excellent rip at the point of the island in Maine where i go to school during the fall months. The problem is, there is navigation marker that flashes an extremely bright light across this piece of water a couple of times a minute. Does anyone think that stripers would avoid the area because of the bright flashing light, or would they take advantage of the rips and feed there anyway?

[ 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: TIMMY ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tim,

Used to see bass all the time in the lights around a fuel dock i fished years ago in AC. They were bright too. They would come in under weakfish that were under snapper blues in the fall. From a boat I can see some merit in fishing with a light because it draws the bait. I think still water is the key. Bass are in the surf for protection, so a sudden change will scare them. I made the mistake of throwing a light on the surf once...hahaha...I've never been flipped of by so many anglers. In any case, if you're Maine spot is fairly calmer, I say go for it...they'd probably hang out to feed...but I'm sure others may disagree.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Im pretty sure that if that light has been there for any length of time it becomes natural ambient light that all sea life may get accustomed to. I'm pretty sure that the fish will feed there regardless...

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
i am still learning but have had and have been told you catch more on overcast days then sunny days. stripers dont like the sun light and thats why the guy above me saw so many middle fingers.
i have been on isbp at nite and i dont dare use my headlights.i was warned of that at the guard shack enen before i got onto the beach.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One of good memories was when i pulled into the parking lot in Stone Harbor and shined my lights in the water. some old guy started bit*hing about it the whole time while i got out. I stood right next to the guy and on my first cast i hooked up in front of him while he was complaining that i ruined the fishing for a little while.

I wouldnt worry about the lights. I fish off bridges all the time and the street lights go on and off every few minutes and we still hook up.

I think these guys giving you the finger dont really know to much. I remember another time we were under a bridge in my boat and i had my lights on and some guy starts yelling down to us telling us if we want to catch fish we better turn our lights off. guess what- hooked up just fine- he didnt.

I cant stand the guys who fish public places and start complaining or getting pissy with you because they dont like what your doing.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Faraway, if that is the case, why can i fish a spot all day long and catch nothing, go home get something to eat, go back to the same spot after dark, and catch bass and weakfish, and dont tell me it is because of boat traffic, i am talking about early spring, when there is no boat traffic,the bottom line is weakfish and stripers are nocturnal feeders, and they become more active at night, there are times when they will feed in the day time, usually when there is an over abundance of bait, because these fish have 2 jobs to feed and spawn, when there is alot of bait, there instincts will take over, so if you want to fish with light, stick to daytime fishing, dont ruin it for the people who really know what they are doing, the fish you are catching are exceptions to the rule, the people who consistently catch good numbers of fish, are the ones who get pissed at you when you shine your light on the water, there is a reason why people fish at 2am in the morning in the dark, and you will obviously never no it, they say 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, I'm in that 10% and i would be pissed if you drove up to a place where i was fishin and put your headlights on the water.

·
Registered
226 Posts
my opinion is that the people you claim to be sharpies knowing that lights spook fish probably heard all of that crap from message threads like these rather than experiencing that effect themselves. Bottom line is if you are a skilled enough angler you will catch fish no matter what the conditions are. BTW there is a difference between someone shining a light on the water via headlights, etc.. and street lights, bouy lights, etc that are always there and are a part of the natural habit for these fish. The person asking the question was asking about the lights shining on the water from a stationary object that is always there, not a random driveby by someone who accidentally, unknowingly, or purposefully shining headlights on the water..

get it

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
IGGY2,

Why get pissed? Life is short and you can't control other people. Some of the best catches of weakfish I ever had were under lights at a bridge at 2 in the morning. I personally don't shine lights onto the water but I ain't never got upset with someone who did. Worry about what you can control and your stress levels will stay down and you'll live longer. Good luck out there and tight lines!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good points i guess there may be truth to the fact that if the light has been there for a long time the fish will become accustomed too it (it was just the fact that this light was so darn bright, it had me wondering). Even still i would never dare put lights on a body of water that are usually dark at night. Heck, sometimes i dont even bring my flashlight when I'm fishing off my kayak- Just to aviod any temptations of using it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Iggy, are you by any chance the guy that i was standing next to that night? The funny thing is that I am that guy fishing at night from LBI to Cape May. I will always be willing to compare numbers each time i go fishing if you would like. I never said that it wasnt better fishing at night, all i said is that the occasional pass of light doesnt turn all the fish off for an hour like some of the "people who consistently catch good numbers of fish" might think.

Your exactly the type that I'm talking bout,quick to crticize and obviously dont know half of what you say. You say not to fish with light, do you happen to drive by the 500 guys fishing pools of light off a bridge every night? Some of the best night fishing i ever had was reeling through the light from spotlights shining in the water.

1/4 of the barn fishes at night- ask any of them how horrible it is to fish off a dock with a spotlight shining in the water. Do you really know as much as you say you do?

I agree that if there is a sudden flash of light (or shadow) this may startle fish and they go deep- thats a no brainer, i dont think that turns the fish off in that whole area for an hour though but i must remember that i am in that 90% of people who dont catch fish ;) so dont listen to me.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
well lets see,Lights attract Baitfish to the top,Stripers position themselves on eteher side of a rip(mound/structure)awaiting the oppertunity of Prey(Baitfish)to come across the top of said structure to ambush/ feed upon them.. I think it sounds ok to me ;) I know ide try it,and work it hard !!!Good luck,Vinny
REMEMBER FOLKS HE ASKED ABOUT A FIXED OBJECT !!!
ahh the lighted bridges,ever see all that bait that swarms to the lighted area's around bridges and docks.....DAMN why would any striper wanna be in the same place as all that bait,spearing herring,PB's

[ 04-06-2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Faraway; what you said is that "one of your best memories was a night when you pulled into a lot in stone harbor and shined your headlights in the water" that to me says that you did it intentionally, and you enjoyed the fact that you pissed off another fisherman, thats pretty pathetic, and to everyone else i never said that permanent lights from a bridge were a bad thing, if you read my post, i said that these fish have 2 jobs, to eat and spawn, naturally a lit up bridge will draw baitfish, and the natural instincts of these fish is to feed,I myself fish bridges, and catch alot of fish from them, but dont tell me that if a car comes up and shines it's headlights in the area that i am fishing that the bite wont shut down, I was simply responding to a person who was getting enjoyement out of pissing off another fisherman, as for my abilities, they speak for themselves", dont challenge what you dont know!

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Fixed lights will produce very well. The lights are always on and fish get accustomed to it. Plus, they draw baitfish. Townsend's Inlet bridge is a great example. There's a lot of light there and that place is swarming with weakfish, blues and stripers. Especially in the early Fall. The only fish I know of that doesn't like artificial lights are mangrove snapper. Not too many of them to spook in Maine so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think a light on the water is a slam dunk of a spot to fish, In fact I know it is.

Non lighted bridges like on Great Bay Blv never seem to attract Bass.

Bass are so non shy its crazy, You can hook one and have it thrash around and catch a second one mins later. I think the old fire in the water is for the same guys that think they are line shy.

Iggy you are pretty harsh about someones opinion that doesnt match yours. Ive actually seen Faraway catch fish all day long before dinner too

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
The Bridges on GBB do pretty good when everyone comes down with their generators and lights em up though! Have you ever been there for that? It's usually a pretty good time.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Silversurf, i could care less about someones opinion, i was not commenting on an opinion, i was commenting on the fact that Faraway SEEMED to be enjoying the fact that he ruined another persons night of fishing, by shining his headlights on the water, Faraway, if i mistakingly attacked you i apologize, it is just that i have been in places catching fish, and had someone drive up and put their headlights on the water for sometimes 10 minutes, and the bite came to a complete stop, and the worst part is that they never get out and fish, they just look!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Iggy, my good memory that i was referring to was not the fact that i pissed off some guy, it was because the guy was bit*ching about me unknowingly shining my headlights into the water (it was a parking lot after all) and was very rude to me. the good feeling was that despite his constant chatter i was hooking up proving that everything he said was just not true.

"so if you want to fish with light, stick to daytime fishing, dont ruin it for the people who really know what they are doing"

this is what you said about fishing with light earlier, dont change your words now because people are now telling you that fishing around lights is actually a good thing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
just for the record, i now turn off my lights when i pull into a spot just for the guys like you Iggy, who think that fishing is ruined for the night.

If in the future some guys happen to pull up in a parking lot and your there fishing, keep in mind that they may not even realize that they are bothering you. Theres no reason to get all bent out of shape and start giving the finger to everyone lol. also, you may want to stay there and try fishing- you might even hook up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Originally posted by BottomBouncer:
The Bridges on GBB do pretty good when everyone comes down with their generators and lights em up though! Have you ever been there for that? It's usually a pretty good time.
Excellent point!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts