BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Aquarium this weekend with my wife and I was totally surprised to see that they had a display with about 15 or so stripers. I have been to aquariums before and I rarely ever seen fish native to our waters on display. I could have stayed and watched those guys swim around for hours but after about 15 mins, my wife started to get restless so I needed to move on. There were a bunch of other exhibits as well and I learned some really cool info on Jellyfish. For example, people believe that one of the big reasons why there are so many Jellyfish now is because Tuna and Sea Turtles are both on the decline and they eat a lot of Jellyfish. I had no idea. Anyway, for anyone in the area or in PA / NJ that wants to kill some time on the weekend, I thought it was well worth it.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
any size to em? don't belive its a closed season there......can't find anything in fishing regs that says aquariums are closed........

should be able to cast net some fresh bait in there also...:D

let me know how it works out.....

btw do they have a ramp?????:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, man talk about "shooting fish in a barrell"! If I had to guess they were all about the same size 30 - 38 inch range? I would be interested to know how they get them there. Does the aquarium get permission to go and catch live stripers and just bring them back for display?

I know this is not a fishing report but given its the middle of Feb. and fish related, I thought some people might be interested.

And, uh, no boat ramp haha!

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
The Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, NY has a huge saltwater pond display with stripers, fluke, and other native fish in it. Quite a few keepers in there.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
That's cool, I haven't been to the National Aquarium in years. The aquarium in Charleston has yellowfin in it, when the wife and I went there, she couldn't pull me away.:)

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
The Long Island Aquarium in Riverhead, NY has a huge saltwater pond display with stripers, fluke, and other native fish in it. Quite a few keepers in there.
Went to that aquarium and saw weakfish standing on tail with head exposed like a dolphin waiting to be fed-coolest thing ever.

NJ aquarium had the wreck showing tog seabass hiding and the insert viewing area with a clear top(1/2 cylinder) with flatties laying on it. Believe it had stripers in the main tank as well

·
Registered
437 Posts
We were there on Sunday and I saw the same thing, was surprised to see Stripers or Rock fish as the locals were calling them there. Nice place to visit, we had a good time.

Rc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts