BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is going to stir things up BUT maybe some cool heads and good insight can post on this.

(See Bottom Of Post To See The Stripers Forever Email)

I got the following email yesterday from Stripers Forever and IF I am reading it right, while they post what appears to be well needed, a ban on MA commercial striper fishing, at least at the huge quota they have, they appear to be pushing to eliminate a second fish for recs? Am I reading that right? Is that just MA? Or What Areas/States etc?

If anything as far as recreational regs I am all in favor of;

1. A one per year registering of One "trophy" fish per year to let an angler keep one large, often a breeder, striper only, what constitutes a "trophy" or breeder others would know that more than I. It could probably be as easy to institute the registration through the same system you get a current bonus tag from and once you registered your once a year trophy your done for the year over a certain size.
2. Daily limit of two total fish being;
a. One slot fish, size to be determined _____?
b. One fish ____ to ____ (max under main breeder size)
c. Or, your one per year trophy fish, (maybe you have to print out a tag like the bonus tag ahead of time, complete the tag before docking, like the bonus tag, once registered and reported it would also provide good data, yeah not everyone will comply But, maybe a start and better than a total ban?
Other Ideas?

I just am shocked how you can go after a huge resource drainer like the MA comms and the weight they are allowed Yet in the same bill lump in rec fishermen for a second fish under the argument of saving breeders?
They could have easily added some program of one trophy per year per person as I mention. Or at least ban keeping a fish over ____ (trophy breeder size at the worst)
I just don't buy that the recs come anywhere near the catch that MA comms are near. Not to mention the by catch kill...

The EMAIL from Stripers Forever Below

Hearings are scheduled for the three bills backed by SF in the MA Legislature in Room B-1 in the Statehouse Bldg on Beacon Hill in Boston on Feb 28th at 11:00 AM. We must have as many people attend and speak in favor of these bills as possible. If you have wanted to do something to help turn around the decline in striped bass fishing, now is the time, and this is your opportunity!

You do not have to speak on each bill. Clearly the bill to conserve striped bass by ending the commercial fishery would go a long way to solving our problems. Recent correspondence with the ASMFC has confirmed that if MA ended its commercial fishery for striped bass that other states would not get the MA quota for their own commercial fisheries. Ending the allowed huge 1,200,000 pound quota, combined with the enormous illegal take of striped bass taken under the cover of the legal fishery, would put a lot more big female stripers on the spawning grounds each season. Our bill also would remove the second striper from the recreational bag limit, and that too would help save a lot of big spawners.~

Those who are currently killing and selling these fish, along with some charter boat captains who believe that bagging a second fish per customer is necessary to attract customers, will be there in force to testify against conservation. If we don’t care enough to show up in force we will certainly be defeated. No lobbying effort can make up for angler apathy. We need you on February 28th. If you are not from MA but fish here, own property here, or are from nearby game fish states that are being affected by the commercial fishery in MA, please show up and have your say.

Dean Clark and others on the MA state board have worked hard to break our key arguments down into segments. If you already know what you want to say, that’s great, but if you want to speak with Dean about taking one of the segments that you are comfortable with, the testimony is all written out for you.

After the hearing we’ll be working with our lobbyist and members to get these bills out of Committee and onto the floor for a vote. The commercial lobby will have far less influence on the general assembly, but we must get the bills out of committee to have that debate. In the 1980s the striped bass situation began to turn around almost as soon as the commercial fishery was ended. There are still a lot of large female stripers in the ocean.~ If we can stop the MA commercial fishery it will be a huge step in the right direction and impetus for other states to act. Be part of the solution!

Please e-mail us at [email protected] for more information on the hearings, prepared testimony, car-pooling etc.

P.S. If you don't see yourself as a public figure, a great speaker, or a famous fisherman, then we especially want you! Part of the commercial message is that they are just hard working, regular guys being victimized by rich playboys. The influences of commercial fishing on the management process are destroying striped bass fishing for rich and poor. We must show the politicians that stripers are important to everyone. If you want stripers to be plentiful for this and future generations of fishermen, now is the time to turn out. E-mail us today to let us know you are coming and to discuss your testimony. Bring a friend!

Dean Clark Co-chair Stripers Forever Massachusetts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does a bill in NJ like the one in MA sponsored by SF mean that the bonus fish NJ Rec. Anglers received when NJ eleminated commercial Fishing for Striped Bass has to go too? That is the only way NJ will achieve the one fish bag limit

What is the Recreational Fishing harvest in Mass?

Is it larger or smaller than the Commercial harvest?

I'm a catch and release angler who will retain one or two fish a season for my table.

I thing SF would be better served if they pointed their considerable talents to saving the Chesapeake Bay Striped Bass Population by getting behind the need to clean up the Watershed that is poisoning the Bay.

"Currently, studies in MD & VA are showing mycobacteria skin lesions on 65% to 70% of the most recent 5 or 6 YOY classes. The pollution from Ag Business as far north as NY, Ohio, Kentucky and PA is causing algae blooms that eat the oxygen in the deepest parts of the Bay. Young Chessy striped bass do not move out into the ocean until their 3rd or 4th year. They cannot utilize the deep, cooler retreats that used to be available when the heat of summer made the shallower water too hot to handle. Sort of like the deep holes and cold springs trout collect in when August warms up the New England Trout streams.

Quote from the new book “The Blitz” by Pete McDonald in the Afterword portion “John Page Williams is the Senior naturalist for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation” “He has sonar readings from fish finders that he used on the Severn River and throughout the Chesapeake. They show menhaden and striped bass holding high in the water column in summertime, swimming in 80-degree water. They can’t descend to the cooler water below because it no longer hold enough oxygen to sustain them. “Oxygen is the most systemic issue here,” said Williams. What’s happening is that nitrogen from the run off is causing massive algae blooms during the warmer months and when the algae dies it sinks to the bottom and is consumed by oxygen robbing bacteria. In the summertime, over 80% of the Chesapeake becomes less than ideal for the fish. One-fifth of the bay’s water gets so depleted of oxygen that it becomes a hypoxic dead zone where nothing can live,”

1 - 3 of 3 Posts