BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripers Forever - CCA NC and the Coastal Fisheries Reform Group have continued working on HB 353, a bill in the NC legislature to make striped bass, redfish and speckled trout game fish in NC waters. Last June the bill was referred to a Study Committee, and game fish supporters have continued to push for the bill to be approved and sent to the floor for a vote. The passage of striped bass game fish in NC would have profound positive implications for the rest of the East Coast. Here is how YOU can help.

1. This LINK will take you to the Stripers Forever website where we have attached a PDF file with the names and e-mail addresses of the members of the Study Committee and of other key NC legislators. Highlight and copy the suggested message at the end of this e-mail; click on the e-mail link for each member of the study committee and paste the message into the body of the e-mail. Type in the name and title of the legislator, and enter your name and address in the space provided at the bottom of the message. Modify the message as you wish to reflect your feelings on the issue. Note that the people on the ground in NC are strongly advocating that we send our message to all the names on the document and not just to the Study Committee. Right now, it is vital to contact the Study Committel, but taking the extra time to let the Governor and legislative leaders know that you support HB353 will be well worth the effort.

2. If you take fishing trips to NC, please let these legislators know that you spend money in their state for that purpose - see Version 2 below. Even though NC state fishery officials have stated to these legislators that the economic contributions from the recreational fishing for these species are much greater than from commercial fishing, some legislators still think that the only value a fish has is when it is netted and filleted. We must change that false perception.

The bill is slated to be discussed in committee on February 2nd. It does not matter whether these folks are your personal representatives or not. They are now responsible for considering this bill, and they ALL need to hear just how important these fish to so many members of the public. Please take the few minutes necessary to do this important job.

---------- Stripers Forever's suggested message is below ----------

Dear (type in here the name and title of the official or just say NC Legislator):

Saltwater fishing is a very important activity in my life. The quality of fishing for striped bass has declined significantly in recent years, and it is time to stop the commercial harvest of these fish. HB 353 will set aside for the fishing public the three most important inshore species of game fish in NC waters so that they can be managed to produce a high quality fishing experience. It has been shown in other states that this is the only way that these fish can be managed to produce a truly sustainable, healthy fishery.

I urge you to support the game fish bill HB353.

Sincerely (your name and address here)

---------- Version 2 ----------

Dear (type in here the name and title of the official or just say NC Legislator):

Saltwater fishing is a very important activity in my life. The quality of fishing for striped bass has declined significantly in recent years, and it is time to stop the commercial harvest of these fish. HB 353 will set aside for the fishing public the three most important inshore species of game fish in NC waters so that they can be managed to produce a high quality fishing experience. It has been shown in other states that this is the only way that these fish can be managed to produce a truly sustainable, healthy fishery.

I regularly come to NC as a tourist to fish for the species protected in HB353. We always spend money locally on these trips, and certainly myself and thousands of others would come more often if fishing were better.

I urge you to support the game fish bill HB353.

Sincerely (your name and address here)

_______________________________________________You are subscribed to the Stripers_FED mailing list.
.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

·
Registered
1,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
ANYONE ELSE? Do your part its easy cut and paste, you have a voice make it heard

·
Registered
38 Posts
done....

I don't know if the OP participates over at SOL- but this should be posted there too.... its a huge site (biggest fishing website in the world I'm told) and would get some more exposure

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The whole thing just boils down to poor management. Make them a game fish and you'll just see them floating back in the sound from the gill netters, and out front from the bunker boats. Won't solve the floating fish problem. Funny thing is, is that if stripers numbers ever get so low as where they were way back in the day. It won't be like the bf where we can blame other countries for the decline. It's our resource and no one will be to blame but us.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts