BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some say the bass are moving north already as are bight has slowed of the maryland coast. Would these fish be spawning in the delaware instead of the chesapeake, or would this just be speculation. We have enjoyed a late winter bight of the coast of maryland and lower delaware but things have realy turned off in the last few days. Shoals?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Some say the bass are moving north already as are bight has slowed of the maryland coast. Would these fish be spawning in the delaware instead of the chesapeake, or would this just be speculation. We have enjoyed a late winter bight of the coast of maryland and lower delaware but things have realy turned off in the last few days. Shoals?
Bass spawn in there natal river...if they were born in the deleware, thats where they'll spawn. Pretty darn cool how they know that

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I don't think they are heading north yet. Water temps. off Jersey are dropping. Probably one of those days down there where the bite shuts down. :huh:

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
I just got a email from a friend in the chesapeake area. He's crushing big fish right now. He sent me pics of bass up to 47"
Fish still being caught up north also and in good numbers. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The Bass basically just slid South this year due to the Warm Winter. There was really no reason for them to move 'en-masse' further South as in Typical Winters-which this year is not. They seem to be scattered between the OBX-CB instead of being concentrated in the OBX area. I little 'Indian Lore Trick' -- look at your local area's BIRD species that regularly migrate South in the Winter. The ROBINS up here (MONTGOMERY County.--Willow Grove PA.) NEVER migrated this winter. Actually saw a slew of them 'Worming' all over the grounds where I work last week!The 'Local' Bird Migrations coincide with the 'Local' Fish and other migrating species. The Robins are highly visible and are a sure-fire way of 'knowing' what kind of Winter and Spring is going on.
You probably just had a lull for a couple days,however,Pretty sure you guys around the CB will see your Stripers move out and head North a few weeks earlier this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
robins

thank you Bill for the info on the birds. I thought I was seeing things but it WAS abunch of Robins looking for worms at Beach Haven West two weeks ago. Probably more accurate than the ground hogs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The Bass basically just slid South this year due to the Warm Winter. There was really no reason for them to move 'en-masse' further South as in Typical Winters-which this year is not. They seem to be scattered between the OBX-CB instead of being concentrated in the OBX area. I little 'Indian Lore Trick' -- look at your local area's BIRD species that regularly migrate South in the Winter. The ROBINS up here (MONTGOMERY County.--Willow Grove PA.) NEVER migrated this winter. Actually saw a slew of them 'Worming' all over the grounds where I work last week!The 'Local' Bird Migrations coincide with the 'Local' Fish and other migrating species. The Robins are highly visible and are a sure-fire way of 'knowing' what kind of Winter and Spring is going on.
You probably just had a lull for a couple days,however,Pretty sure you guys around the CB will see your Stripers move out and head North a few weeks earlier this year.
I've noticed the last 3 winters while walking my mail route in Broomall that the robins have been around in feb in mass. But had no affect on striper migration. However, this winter has been much different than winters past, so we shall see. Cause water temps are running 5-8 degrees above normal. Water temp at Marcus Hook was 42 on tue. Should be 36

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
wont be spring season for stripers all gone north jersey and into main
save your gas for spring fluke season next

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

Haha...loosen the strings that are around your neck from your WM3 sweater.:nuts:...I predict even you will catch some this spring Mr. Negative..:fighting:....hang in there and keep cutting your wood..

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
noooo. They'll be here. same time. same places.
I did find it interesting, that i saw some marine biology kids near my house. They set up nets every spring to catch glass eels. They raise them, then release them. I dont normally see them until March, but they were out out last week. I asked the kid if they were setting up the nets early. He said, they had them set up for a week already, and that they had tons of baby eels. I said, WOW. He replied, yea, we were surprised to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mako 91,

The Chesapeake Bay Striped bass will not move north until after they spawn in their home rivers. They are probably moving into Chesapeake Bay and their natal freshwater tidal rivers starting about now. They will spawn in late March and all of April, then head up the coast and end up in the Gulf of Maine north of Cape Cod. There are literally hundreds of freshwater rivers, streams and creek flowing intothe Chesapeake Bay.

We have Hudson River (The second largest striped bass production tribe) fish hanging out in the warm Atlantic waiting for the days to get a little longer and then the mature bass (females over 8 years old and males over 4 years old will begin to move up the Hudson im March and start spawning about the second week in May. They will be done by the 2nd week of June.

The Hudson River is Freshwater tidal for about 110 mile north of West Point. the first barrier dam is at river mile 160 north of the tip of the Battery in Manhatten. There is a 6ft tide from the Battery to the Federal Dam north of Troy, NY. Up and down twice a day, every day.

The Delaware River Striped Bass Tribe spawns from the Cmdr. Barry Bridge at Philadelphia down to the C&H Canal south of New Castle Delaware. The spring Run Off creats a freswater tidal river along the PA and DE shoreline south and east of Philly. We may see a minimal Delaware spawn due to the lack of snow pack in the Pocono and Catskill Mountians this winter.

All three of the SB Tribes mentioned above move up the rivers to their spawning points following waves of American Shad and both species of River herring. All four species are Andronous and need to spawn in freshwater.

The Delaware and Hudson River strains migrate north to the southern beaches of Cape Cod and fill up Narragansett Bay, Long Island Sound and a decent percentage hang out along the LI and Jersey Shore beaches.

IT is a cycle that is thousands of years old. We are a lucky bunch of fishers to be living on the Nor'east Coast.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I remember reading many years ago, when I was in school, about an experiment done to try to force domestic animals to shed their winter coats before their normal shedding season. they tried changing all kinds of variables, temperature, food availability etc. the only variable that worked in tricking the animals into shedding earlier then normal was lengthening the amount of daylight that they received.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That and water temperature is what gets the fish moving to their spring spawning spots. The shorter days works as well for species that spawn int he fall and winter. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Mako 91,

The Delaware River Striped Bass Tribe spawns from the Ben Franklin Bridge at Philadelphia down to the C&H Canal south of New Castle Delaware. The spring Run Off creats a freswater tidal river along the PA and DE shoreline south and east of Philly..

QUOTE]

That is incorrect. have you ever seen stripers spawning? Where did you get that information?
They go further up river to spawn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mako 91,

The Delaware River Striped Bass Tribe spawns from the Ben Franklin Bridge at Philadelphia down to the C&H Canal south of New Castle Delaware. The spring Run Off creats a freswater tidal river along the PA and DE shoreline south and east of Philly..

QUOTE]

That is incorrect. have you ever seen stripers spawning? Where did you get that information?
They go further up river to spawn.
I got it from a NJ Fish biologist three years ago. It blew my mind at the time.

It is correct. Check with either NJ, DE or PA All three of them work together on this amazing fact. This is how the Delaware River Tribe surived the filthy plug of pollution that was the Port of Phila. and all the industrial waste that PA and NJ industries poured into the Delaware River for decades.

I have seen striped bass spawning in the hudson River, but the ASMFC requires that NJ, DE & PA are responsible for Delaware River young of the year and mature female annual studies annually to develop a information base on this newly rediscovered seperate species of striped bass.

Pretty cool, isn't it.

Yes, striped bass do go further up River to spend the summer and then feed on the young of the year herring and shad as those species make their way down the river to the sea every fall.

From the Delaware Gap north, the best striped bass bait for striped bass night fishing is a 12 inch rainbow trout. Both PA and NJ trout hatcheries sell trout to anglers for bait. amazing. If you are using trout for striped bass bait, y'alls better have the hatchery dated recipt on your person. fishing with wild trout will get you locked up and fined.

·
Registered
39 Posts
they tried changing all kinds of variables, temperature, food availability etc. the only variable that worked in tricking the animals into shedding earlier then normal was lengthening the amount of daylight that they received.
I am a firm believer in change in the amount of daylight triggers fish to move/spawn more so than water temps.

Lots of good info and opinions in this thread.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts