BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Wilmington. I have heard the American Shad come up the Brandywine with stripers in hot pursuit... has anyone else heard this? I think it happens in the next few weeks as the water warms up.

I think this would make for some sick light tackle action!

Mr. Taco

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
B W Stripes

As you probably know, there are barriers to the fish coming up the Brandy very far. But I can tell you, do not wait for two weeks or you will miss it. The herring/shad started to show in the BW spots a week or so ago. If the Stripes are up the Susseq., which they are, they are up the Brandy. In 2 weeks they will start heading down, maybe sooner with the warm weather this next week.
Blackfinjerry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dam!

The first/last DAM is right before Washington Street at the end of West Street. There is a ton of structure (rocks) and some pretty deep pools. In fact, you can take a boat up to the King Street Bridge before it gets too rocky.

Mr. Taco

·
Registered
4 Posts
guys have been known to catch rather large stripers in front of the old waterfront cafe. Under the bridge that leads to north Market st. Wouldn't think of fishing there but the fish are there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Go Now

Mr. Taco said:
I live in Wilmington. I have heard the American Shad come up the Brandywine with stripers in hot pursuit... has anyone else heard this? I think it happens in the next few weeks as the water warms up.

I think this would make for some sick light tackle action!

Mr. Taco
Years ago I use to fish the brandywine for shad and sometime we would catch short stripers mixed in with them, also lampray eels from time to time. I use to fish by the zoo in the park. there use to be a small falls there with a fish latter, fish below the falls. Now is the time every easter we use to go down there and fish with shaddarts some days we had a ball others well thats why thay call it fishing not catching. get down there asap.:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Christiana river

The Stripers also chase the river herring and shad up the Christiana River and from there into the White Clay and Red Clay Creeks. Stop in Slicers Sporting Goods on route 13 and talk with Kurt Slicer. You'll need a Delaware Tidal license this year.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
There are NO bass/herring/shad in the Brandywine or Christina rivers. You guys really need to stop spreading these vicious rumors!!!:eek: :p :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Go give it a try on the brandywine

dixie noormiss said:
There are NO bass/herring/shad in the Brandywine or Christina rivers. You guys really need to stop spreading these vicious rumors!!!:eek: :p :)
Were did this gye come from> HO I know he had his head out the car window and now he's win blown and not thinking right today or is he trying to discurage someone from moving into his honey hole?????:cool:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
mary c said:
Were did this gye come from> HO I know he had his head out the car window and now he's win blown and not thinking right today or is he trying to discurage someone from moving into his honey hole?????:cool:
Take it easy, guy. It was a joke! See the smiley face at the end of my post? Yes, there's all of the above in the Brandywine and Christina. It is just a small fishery, and too much pressure will reduce it to nothing. Go fishing, lighten up a little bit! :D :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Setteling down now

dixie noormiss said:
Take it easy, guy. It was a joke! See the smiley face at the end of my post? Yes, there's all of the above in the Brandywine and Christina. It is just a small fishery, and too much pressure will reduce it to nothing. Go fishing, lighten up a little bit! :D :eek:
I was just trying to give advice and help someone. thats what this site is all about :D information

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have fish this area and yes the fish are there now:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
giving info is one thing. Handing out GPS coordinate is another. Yes there are fich in both rivers. Go scout and find them yourself. It will pay off much more then if you depend on others.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Absolutely they are there and have been for a month. Night time is the right time but it's not for the faint of heart.

Personally I can't stand the B.S. associated with it anymore and leave them alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts