BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some Qs about the ladder maybe one of the bass pros can answer! Has anyone caught or seen stripers in the lake? How big of a fish do you think can climb the ladder? Do they spawn in the lake? Do you think the ladder has improved the fishing? Thanks for your time... JG

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have never seen a Striper in Union. Not saying there are not any in there, but I have fished there many years and have not caught one or seen one caught. I have caught smallmouth, largemouth, crappie and pickeral in that lake, but no stripers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ive put up a similar post befor but it was about hybrids and alot of peolpe told me there is stripers in the lake but then again i havent seen any caught or have heard but i hear there in there

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
There are schoolie stripers below the dam that are there all year round. They're small..like 2lbs & up but still.. I've never heard of them getting into the lake. There's only hybrids in there that I can recall of.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My biggest one last year was 29 1/2" last year in June. I got em in about 16 ft of water. I have seen a couple dead stripers floating and they were over 35":eek: . My brother has pictures of a dead striper which was near 40" in the lake. Yes, there are resident striper in the lake. With the right technique you could land them. My partner and I sometimes strictly target stripers only on the lake.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Wow, 40" that is a big fish for the ladder! Interesting stuff, thanks again.. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't think they are all going up the ladder. I have seen guys catching them below the dam and dropping them in the lake.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
The state stocked them years ago but that was before the dam problems.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
R & R said:
The state stocked them years ago but that was before the dam problems.
I saw in the new digest they stocked 3000 Smallies this year.. but they're only pretty much fry.. I think it said they're only 2 inches..Sounds like for now, they stocked more bait than catchable fish..:rolleyes:

I wish they'd stock tiger muskies there again.. Now that would be sweet! I bet there are still some roaming around those waters at Union..

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
lilfishermen said:
whast amatter with the damn is it still not right
years ago when they built the new dam they drained a big portion of the lake. My father took me down there & he got a ticket for walking out on the dry lake bed. Seemed they closed it because of heavy metals.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw one caught there last summer right around 21" at the old boat launch! We were fishing for crapie at night with minnows... The striper looked to be very pale and under nutritioned. But they are still alive in those waters!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
R & R said:
years ago when they built the new dam they drained a big portion of the lake. My father took me down there & he got a ticket for walking out on the dry lake bed. Seemed they closed it because of heavy metals.
vineland chemical superfund site. drive mill rd just south of garden and look at the giant pump and treat systems that are in place. they actually diverted a section of the stream so that they could dig up the old stream bed. trailes are cut all along the creek to the mo river. the metals were carried so far down stream that they came up in samples collected at the base of the union lake dam :eek: :eek: :eek: .

·
Registered
441 Posts
theres some big stripers in there....when i was younger there was a 24in or so striper following a snake around for awhile and i have seen other people catch some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts