BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a magic ocean temperature number to look for, for the arrival of stripers, key striper fishing conditions, etc.

What magic number would the water be at, that you could not miss heading out to the beach for those monster stripers?

[ 10-27-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dakota Rob ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
In my opinion, a northeast wind, water 55 degrees and a decent bait migration would be the best overall conditions on the ocean side.

But nothing is ever guaranteed.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I like the 50's overall for front and back fishing.
Every Reporting Site Along the NJ Coastline
is showing mid-to-upper 50's this morning.......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Water temp is important because it determines how much oxygen the water can hold and consequently how active the fish can afford to be. Warm water holds less dissolved oxygen and makes stripers less agresive and less likely to take certain types of bait. Bait fish movement is influenced by water temp because they want to stay in water that holds optimum oxygen to maintain there matabolism and their ability to be active enough to evade predators. Some times water temps shift and leaves fish in less than optimal water but they still need to eat. So look for bait, not so much water temp, although water temp is a good general indicator of where the bait is and how agressively the preditors will be feeding.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Lew'n aint easy,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard................

Very Good First Post.... Thanks For That Info..

[ 10-27-2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ditto what Strikes said, welcome to the Barn.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Lew'n aint easy:
Thanks guy's my biochemistry degree gives me a real edge on the bass. lol!
I Like It,,, Looking Forward To Your Perspective
On Future Topics Around Here.....

Thanks Again,,,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
If you need and exact it's 57. 55-65 is good, 55-60 is the best IMHO. You can catch'em in January in 42-43 degree water. I think the biggies seem to be toward the middle to last quarter of the migration.

Be careful the temp fluctuations show bimodal patterns. IOW, the ups and downs actaully switch with the tide depending on the season, time of day, and amount of sunshine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd say the best overall temp is 55.68
!

I wonder though that while the mid-50's seems to be the preferred temp, you can catch bass all year long if the water stays above 40 for the most part. I caught bass all summer on poppers in the early morning, mainly at 1st light, along sod banks and chances are the water was a bit cooler then due to the night air. Mid-day water temps were well into the mid 70s. Also there was a lot less boat traffic etc..., but the cooler air probably helped to cool the surface water temp a bit and get the resident bass feeding.

My opinion - change tatics depedning upon the time of year and area your fishing. in other words, bait might be better in the early spring and fall while plugs might be more productive in the summer, particulary dark colored surface poppers along the banks. That being said, nothing really beats "matching the hatch" if bunker are around or a N'easter blows through (clams). In either case a bumker plug or glob of clam will get you fish.

Also - I've seen bass pulled from the surf in the middle of July at full sun on clams casted 50 to 75 yards off the beach with people all around. These people were using clams that washed up on to the beach. If you have a line in the water it seems you have a chance regardless of the temps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts