BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy caught 3 stripers all were really bad looking,, sores all over them,, they seemed to be in same school because he caught them all in a pretty short period of time,, the 30" fish almost was missing his tail,, if i knew how to post a picture ,, i would post it ,, anybody else finding fish looking like these ,, we didn't keep them ,,

·
Registered
690 Posts
That sounds alot like that fish tuberculosis or whatever they call it that I read about over the winter. I don't remember exactly, but I think they said something like 40% of the fish they tested in the Chesapeake had it. It mentioned lesions all over the organs of the fish. That or maybe they got caught up in an oil spill or something. I dunno. Hope you guys were careful handling them when you released them. They say the meat when cooked is harmless to people, but I would have done what you guys did. If the fish is going to die, at least let him spend his last days swimming around in Cape May.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
This is from a Warning from the American Littoral Society DO NOT EAT, Handle as Little as possible,Wash hands with Anti-Bacterial Soap and Alcohol(not bourbon!)bacteria can enter skin thru small cuts and cause Swelling and Pain in Joints in fingers and Hands
If you have pictures send them and a brief discription of the sores and Infection length,weight. Location of catch
This is for a study of the problem,It originated in Chesapeke bay

I have a form that can be filled out and mailed to ALS, if anyone wants it E-mail to [email protected]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Its ashame. I hope they find the cause. This is an ongoing problem in the Chesepeake.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I met a Barner at the first Barnfest that contracted the disease from the stripers and it took 2 years to get rid of it. Lots of antibiotics and pain. Be careful. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
what about flounder? we caught one with sores on top and bottom.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would rather be safe then sorry i have caught a striper with sores before and that same fish had leeches on it as well. The fish looked very sick and i would have to say nothing i would even think about eating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts