BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By accident I found that day time blitzing bass wanted the fly moving at max speed,by reeling in as fast as I could crank the reel.Stripping by hand did not work no matter how fast I pulled.Just thought I"d pass it along,good fishing.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
A two handed retreive will let you move the fly at a steady pace, and at a ripping speed if thats what they want. I am sure that this may sound awkward, but it a basic technique that you will master in no time.
By keeping the line in your hand at all times, you will feel the hit much better than if you reel it in...
After reeling in the line, how did you make another cast quickly?
Oh by, are we gonna have fun!! The learning never ends,,,and it's my favorite part!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yep, the 2-handed retrieve is the way to go. (By the way, that's putting the rod under one arm and stripping with both hands, if you've never seen it done.) You can retrieve line at a lightning fast pace with this style, much faster than reeling in with the 1:1 ratio fly reel. In this way I can retrieve line at about the same speed as a 6:1 ratio spinning reel at full speed. I do this when I'm fishing a very tiny spot a long distance away, like a clump of grass 80ft away from me in muddy water. If the strike zone for the bass is very small, I will cast to the grass, strip a few times, retrieve the line in quickly with the 2-handed retrieve, then cast again. It helps in a moving boat. If I can, I won't even strip in very far after the fly is out of the strike zone and just pick up the line and cast to the spot again, but this only works with floating lines.

A quick retrieve also helps when you've got a fish on the line running right towards you. With practice, you can stop reeling in and put the rod under your arm and 2-hand strip to keep the tension on the line until the fish turns or stops. Then you can let it take line again, or reel in the excess. I've had to do this many times, especially with bluefish.

As an aside, sometimes poppers work best when they aren't popped. I've caught fish retrieving poppers in at a steady clip, just gurgling the water quickly. And I've caught fish not doing anything with the popper, letting it sit there calmly. Saying that, using poppers is not my first choice, as many on here already know ;) . There are too many missed strikes.

[ 07-07-2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Randy Jones taught me a trick when I fished with him Memorial Day in the gin clear waters of the Cape.

The fish where finicky and it was necessary to get in as much line as quick as possible.

What he had my brother Kevin and I do was lift out rod hand elbow as high in the air as possible - this allowed close to three foot strips and produced hits.

I would find myself going back to two handed strips every so often and i wasnt getting hit. As soon as I switched back the bass would take my clouser.

[ 07-07-2004, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
GB, If you didn't get a fish, then you would have to strip out all the line to make a cast. Also trying to set the hook you should have the rod pointed at the fish and strip set it for a good hook up. After you get used to it, I think the methods the others gave, you will find it easy to do, and it will be much more effective.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I knew there must be a better way.Reeling in was a pain because I had to start all over.I"ll be out early Sat. practicing the 2 handed strip.Good Fishing.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
All good points with the exception of reeling in each time. Sorry GB, however I can understand how you would do what you think best at the time. Brian, what about all the slack that would be needed to be retrieved? Dave, great point for when a fish is coming towards you,( wouldn't it be great if that happened more often?) Some reels, exposed rim, can be spun to quickly retrieve line. Neat--when it works. Ron

[ 07-07-2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry, I saw the word stripping And thought this was a different subject

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
UT OH...someone is having dirty thoughts.... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts