BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used for exclusive bridge fishing. For more details check my other post in this forum.

Just having an embarassing time dealing with these giant fish around the bridges here.

Steve and I are looking to spool some wire. Are their any recs on a good wire to spool or other line alternatives close to wire in strength.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Dont know if I'd SPOOL with wire but you could make a wire bite tippet if you think teeth are the reason for your breakoffs. I'd try the fireline first...much better abrasion resistance than P.P....Good ol mono has got greater abrasion resistance also...Are you getting broken on coral, bridge pilings with barnecles or teeth or gill plates...How long have you been making your 80lb flouro leaders?

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are bridge fenders

I crimp 80 pound flouro to the hook and swivel. About 3-4 feet long

Isn't there some line that's a polymer, cl,ose to wire ??

There are such things as spooled wire reels , correct ??

[ 07-26-2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
These are bridge fenders

I crimp 80 pound flouro to the hook and swivel. Been ding this for about 4-5 months

I don't think 4-5 months is long enough, maybe you should make them 6-8 months. :D

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by CAPTKIRK:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
These are bridge fenders

I crimp 80 pound flouro to the hook and swivel. Been ding this for about 4-5 months

I don't think 4-5 months is long enough, maybe you should make them 6-8 months. :D </font>[/QUOTE]Your a genius

Thank you professor

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CAPTKIRK:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
These are bridge fenders

I don't think 4-5 months is long enough, maybe you should make them 6-8 months. :D </font>[/QUOTE]Your a genius

Thank you professor
</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry Doc, I took Keyskid's question on the leaders to be about how long they were in inches and couldn't resist.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem at all actually,love some good ole fashion Ball-Busting. Think your actually right on that one if you can believe it, I meant thanks, , really , I went ahead and corrected the quote

Think it's the loss of sleep, Was out till 2am last night fishing, up by 5am for a 6 mile run and still awake now,

[ 07-27-2005, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Man thats a tough reel there...
I got an idea ya might wanna try..dont know if it'll work but here goes....

Keep your 100lb braid on there as backing, strip some off and put on a mono topshot of at least say 50 yards..something like 50lb test...tie a bimini twist in the buisness end...attach a leader at least 6 ft. long of around 100lb test or better. Let me know how it works.

Are these fish your hooking into getting airborn within the first few seconds of the fight? In my expeirence Tarpon jump within the first few seconds all the time.
You might be hooking into a large bull or lemon shark...they make some smokin runs. And seriously pull... If it was a shark id defiantly get some wire on the end of that leader, just haywire twist it to a barrell swivel and again to your hook.
Git R Done man!!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
What do you plan on doing with a large fish after you have fought it from the top of a bridge to exhaustion??

Something to think about....

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
PS: I am assuming you are talking about tarpon or sharks. Snook and Reds you can use a bridge net...

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ahhhhhh....Got Ya ;)

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Hipster is that varnish going to your head man? :D J/K bro ;) ..I think he's in a boat...right?
Yes in a boat

Usually back my azz right up to the point of the fenders

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Man thats a tough reel there...
I got an idea ya might wanna try..dont know if it'll work but here goes....

Keep your 100lb braid on there as backing, strip some off and put on a mono topshot of at least say 50 yards..something like 50lb test...tie a bimini twist in the buisness end...attach a leader at least 6 ft. long of around 100lb test or better. Let me know how it works.

Are these fish your hooking into getting airborn within the first few seconds of the fight? In my expeirence Tarpon jump within the first few seconds all the time.
You might be hooking into a large bull or lemon shark...they make some smokin runs. And seriously pull... If it was a shark id defiantly get some wire on the end of that leader, just haywire twist it to a barrell swivel and again to your hook.
Git R Done man!!
Josh, we have had 2 tarpon on and they have done just that. I still believe at least one was a tarpon, but it did not jump. According to harbormaster at my dock they don't always jump

2 of mine have definetly hit and fought like a snook, never saw him though

We are pretty determined, should have some luck this weekend. Made the decision to X the weekend offshore trip and stay in the backwater

Talk to ya soon

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Throw the anchor rope(with a float) and chase it between the pilings. Get it into open water. You'll never land a LARGE fish around structure from an anchored boat.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
Throw the anchor rope(with a float) and chase it between the pilings. Get it into open water. You'll never land a LARGE fish around structure from an anchored boat.
Now your talkin' Keith!!!!
Good luck DB.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sunday it is.

Gonna go with some long covered steel leader first and see just what is down there. Snookmaster is bringing the spear gun and flippers too

Hopefully will have some pics soon, guys

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by hipkvw:
I agree it is difficult but no way impossible

Plenty of WAY big grouper get hoisted off the bottom around wrecks here all the time

Couple Tarpon over 100 pounds have been taking from the very spot where we fish,

We will get'em

1 - 20 of 20 Posts