BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a while...

After a night of partying, I woke up to a familiar voice on the other end of my cell. It was my buddy who is a Stuart local and he was very blunt to me about getting out of bed and getting to Stuart in time for a last minute Sword trip. The weather window was small, but with the moon phase and the projected forecast, I had to make a run for it. My head was pounding as I wiped the sleep from my eyes but this is what dreams are made of; unplanned Sword trips with a few good buddies, a nice moon phase, and a beautiful weather forecast! I packed my grundens, popped a Vitamin B-12, and grabbed a jug of water and I was on my way. The only thing that I was missing was a big greasy bacon egg and chesse breakfast sammy.

We got a later start than anticipated, but that was ok, we were in this one for the long haul. My buddy had his decked out 28' Southport waiting for us when we got to his house and all we had to do was load up the food and frosties before we headed off. PERFECT!

We started off in the deep end (1800') and after a few hours on the drift, we had nothing to show for our efforts. The conditions were pleasant with a fairly large swell in the stream of about 4-6 foot. Luckily the period was long and they were spread out. The night was still somewhat young so we headed inshore to our normal Sword numbers (1400-1600') and fired the baits back down. It didn't take long before we had out first bite. CJ, my one good buddy who does a lot of fishing but has never caught a Sword was up first after the hook was set. He made short work of the 54" Swordy and since the fish was of legal size and it was his first Sword, we decided to release this one onto a pile of ice in the front killbox.;) Skunk was off the boat and we had meat. This fish was foul hooked in the anal fin.

We fired the baits back down and were forced to sit for a few hours until we got our next bite. As we were sitting around talking about good times, I noticed that only one of our balloon baits was in sight. After a few cranks, I realized that the balloon was still afloat, but was knocked on its side. You know what that means!

Earlier in the night, like a fool, I told the boys that I would crank on the next bite, so I went to work on this one. I very rarely crank and this fish reminded me exactly why I like wiring and gaffing fish more so than fighting them! I had the fish to the transom 3 times in the first 30 minutes, but each and every time we were forced to dump the leader. For a small Sword, he had a lot of life in him. The fish tore the surface up airing out with the near full moon in the background for a lot of the fight prior to going deep...what a beautiful thing! I've caught bigger ones, but this one fought with the best of them.

I ended up getting the fish back to the transom where we were able to get a gaff in him. This one was a little bit better than the first one @ 62". We decided to release this one into the killbox too.;)

With two fish in the boat, we headed for the barn. The bite was not on fire by any means, and we had to work for our fish, but overall it was a fun trip. Next time, hopefully the bigger ones will show up.

I talked to one other guy the entire night and it was a bouy-boat fishing out of Jupiter Inlet. When we headed home around 4 AM, he had 4 or 5 fish in the boat, I can't remember. All of his fish were small, but killable except for one that was called a double marker.

I will be daytime Swording on Sunday and Monday so if I grab a free minute I will try to fire up a report. Hopefully we'll be on them and hopefully the fish will be bigger. My buddy fished with RJ Boyle, one of the main pioneers of the daytime fishery the other day and went 4 for 5 on fish to a little under 3 hundo. They didn't start fishing until noon...not a bad day on the rip.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to upload a few shots...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice Work!:D
Thanks Dave. I bet your're getting pumped for the Striper Season, catch em up.

nice job brian,hope all is well in FLA.it will be canyon season before you know it:thumbsup:
Mike, brotha-man, long time no talk. Everything is all gravy down here and I hope it's the same for you up there. I can't wait for the canyon season and I look forward to having you hop on for some trips as soon as the bite starts. I hope that you're back is doing ok...get that thing rested up and ready to roll, would ya?

B you don't like to party-do you? Looks like fun trip, I GOTTA make it down there. Glad you were successful bra.
No, not me... Partying is for the birds and ghetto sharkers.;) The door is always open, you know that...

Nicde job on the Pumpkins!
HAHAH, Thanks! They were both Pumpkins, and they both ate Rainbow Trout;) Psyche!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first fish (that was foul hooked in the anal fin) fell for a Spanish Mack and the Second fish took a natural dead squid (no skirt, no food dye). The little one was a screamer then slack bite. It ripped drag then charged for the surface before us coming tight. After we came tight, he went down. They'll eat anything. The Mack was rigged with a J-hook the same way lots of crews rigged Blue Marlin Spanish Macks (swimmers) prior to the Circle hook rule. Stitch it all the way back (to the tail) so the head doesn't explode on the first swat...And if it's not a screamer, let her eat for a second

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
BRIAN IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO COME DOWN TO FLORIDA FOR SOME SWORDFISHING IN THE NEAR FUTURE.JUST LET ME KNOW IF ITS A GOOD TIME TO FISH OR JUST COME DOWN TO THAW OUT FROM THIS HARSH WINTER WE HAD UP NORTH HERE.P.S. NO CHASING THEM PUMPKINS:razz:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I had more to report but after fishing 3 days in a row for Swords, we were not able to get one to the boat. Monday was real nice, what a difference a day can make. We pulled the hook on two, one of them was a pretty good one too. We had one other half-a$$sed bite also. The fish were not aggressive at all and the reports were very similar or worse. Someone did dust one that was "every bit" of 400 hundo close by though. Today we fished because the skipper got a good fortune from his chinnese fortune cookie after eating Pei Wei last night for dinner and it read something to the likes of "Perserverance and consistency will pay off." Dead serious! We were not going to fish due to the terribly slow bite, but figured we would go one more time with the forecast detiorating for the rest of the week and an encouraging fortune along for the ride. One half a$$ed bite and that was it after 6 day drops.

Tough tough fishing.

Congrats to the guys up north that are getting into that BFT bite...sounds pretty epic. Catchemup!

·
Registered
17 Posts
just left there last week got back last sun. we forget what day it was but it was nice and we saw a bunch of boats leaving the inlet, I was in a 16 vhull waveing to u guys to come pick me up and drag me out there on your way out. We did the spainish mackeral thing out front and it was scary in the little boat. We had more fun catchin reds and trout inside north of the stuart bridges. Pompano next time and blackfin outside next time.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice!!! you thought I forgot about this forum thing! way to go locals only crew!!!
Tommy, good catching up with you yesterday...nice to see you on here too. I'm sure we'll get something set up before I head north and you head to the Bahamas for tourney season. Crushed em today with Keegs and CJ...punished em.

Stay in touch and get ready to win some more BBC money this year buddy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.