BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving to go beach shark fishing at stump pass this evening, any barners in the area are welcome to stop by,, I have a black ford dually pickup...............John

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
John, if you haven't left yet, do you know specifically where you're going to fish? Don't think you can get your truck very close to the pass.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The closest I was allowed to take my p/u on the Manasota Key end was the parking lot in the State Pk., then hike the beach one mile to the pass.....On the Palm Isl. end no gas vehicles allowed out of the main parking lot.....in either case footing it is worth the hike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stump pass

Frank, I have the after hrs pass for the park. I park inside the gate. They gave me the combination for the lock. We set out 3 rods, 14/0 130lb line, 12/0 130lb line, avet 50wide 150lb powerpro, Around 7:00 the 14/0 goes off, Tommy runs over locks it up and hands the pole to his wife, I strap the fighting belt on her and the fights on, 30 min later a nice bull, 150lb?, 6 1/2 t0 7ft, couple pics and released. 5 min later the 50w starts singing, I run over and lock up the lever drag, He's smoking the reel, 10 min later he is still smoking the reel, down to about a 1/4 spool left, then it happens, the string buries in the bottom of the spool and locks up the reel, kapow, breaks the line, a few curses and I put the rod away, Well down to one rod. Sandwich break, ready to take a bite and the 12/0 takes off, Tell my wife to put the belt on, I lock it up and hand her the rod. 35 min later another nice bull.Have pics from first shark, still waiting to get pics from Tommy of my wifes shark. Will be hitting it again soon, will post.......John:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Frank, I have the after hrs pass for the park. I park inside the gate. They gave me the combination for the lock. We set out 3 rods, 14/0 130lb line, 12/0 130lb line, avet 50wide 150lb powerpro, Around 7:00 the 14/0 goes off, Tommy runs over locks it up and hands the pole to his wife, I strap the fighting belt on her and the fights on, 30 min later a nice bull, 150lb?, 6 1/2 t0 7ft, couple pics and released. 5 min later the 50w starts singing, I run over and lock up the lever drag, He's smoking the reel, 10 min later he is still smoking the reel, down to about a 1/4 spool left, then it happens, the string buries in the bottom of the spool and locks up the reel, kapow, breaks the line, a few curses and I put the rod away, Well down to one rod. Sandwich break, ready to take a bite and the 12/0 takes off, Tell my wife to put the belt on, I lock it up and hand her the rod. 35 min later another nice bull.Have pics from first shark, still waiting to get pics from Tommy of my wifes shark. Will be hitting it again soon, will post.......John:thumbsup:
John, didn't know about the after hours pass to the park. I took a ride over about 7PM and made it as far as the locked gate. Not being able to go any farther, I hit the beach as the Hubble Space Telescope was due to pass over. Thwarted again as it was too cloudy to see anything. Sounds like you had a productive and fun night. Great pics. Did you fish the pass itself? I trolled through there earlier in the day looking for some wayward Spanish Macs but no luck. I'll be watching for your next posts for the pass.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Stump

Hey John

I've never been to Stump pass, I'm up in Sarasota. Do you have to kayak your baits out, or is the pass deep enough to just "heave" them off the beach? I shark once in a while off Siesta Key, But unless it's Late in the Season where the baitfish are all in close, we have to yak the baits out.

Bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stump pass

We kayak the baits out. The largest fresh mullet that I cast netted is the go to bait, I do have a secret weapon bait that was on the 50wide. A nice fresh whole 16 inch sheepshead on 20/0 circle hooks. Frank you were right there, we were not to far from the gate. I don't go to the end, to much gear to carry. I find the spots by checking my gps chartfinder to find the cuts and holes that come the closet to the beach and concentrate on them spots. I have some family coming down the 18th, will probly try to hit it again on the 14th, weather permitting.............John

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
We kayak the baits out. The largest fresh mullet that I cast netted is the go to bait, I do have a secret weapon bait that was on the 50wide. A nice fresh whole 16 inch sheepshead on 20/0 circle hooks. Frank you were right there, we were not to far from the gate. I don't go to the end, to much gear to carry. I find the spots by checking my gps chartfinder to find the cuts and holes that come the closet to the beach and concentrate on them spots. I have some family coming down the 18th, will probly try to hit it again on the 14th, weather permitting.............John
Thanks, John. I'd buy a ticket to watch! I'll look for a post.
More neat pics.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
How hard are the runs those bulls put on ? Ive done alot of beach sharkin in NJ and caught some decent browns and duskies off the beach but never a bull.... Gonna be givin sharkin a try on spring break in cayo costa and want to find out if Im gonna get spooled on my sargus or not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cayo

How hard are the runs those bulls put on ? Ive done alot of beach sharkin in NJ and caught some decent browns and duskies off the beach but never a bull.... Gonna be givin sharkin a try on spring break in cayo costa and want to find out if Im gonna get spooled on my sargus or not.
Andrew you don't have a chance in hell to bring in one of those big bulls on the sargus! The bulls have alot more power then the browns, they don;t give up easy and when you land them they want to bite anything thats in reach of those big jaws. I have a 9/0 with 100lb mono that you can borrow that will handle up to 8 footers.....John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.