BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
researchers have been finding more sturgeons and more breeding sturgeons in DB, they went on to say this is the first sign of breeding sturgeons in DB in 50yrs, small article in Sundays Glo county times:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
That is cool! I remember seeing a few sturgeon caught around Elsinboro point as a kid. Occasionally, you'd find a dead one on the beach. I still remember the way our Springer Spaniel smelled after he rolled in a decaying one he found. Pew! But it has been a LOOONNNGGGGGG time since I've seen or even heard of one. I kinda figured they were a species lost to the bay & river.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I know your not allowed to fish for them and such as they're protected.....but what kind of rig,hooks,bait,techniques would you use to catch one.....other than a seine/gillnet.

Drift? anchor? clams????

They look real hard to fillet also....might dull up a knife real quick:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know your not allowed to fish for them and such as they're protected.....but what kind of rig,hooks,bait,techniques would you use to catch one.....other than a seine/gillnet.

Drift? anchor? clams????

They look real hard to fillet also....might dull up a knife real quick:D
I know as a kid quite a few people use to fish hook & line for them and used some specialized rig but don't even vaguely remember what it was. Hopefully this is something we'll have to be concerned with again in my lifetime.

·
Banned
305 Posts
use to drift net for them in the river about 15 years ago caught some big ones, my buddy caught s small one last year in an eel pot about 5 inches... i guess that is a good sign they are breeding. Had one this year at arnolds pt come outta the water at slack tide bout sheet our pants. use to see them do this alot by the phoneix wreck by elsinboro pt.a few years back always at slack low. Do remember someone catching one at reedy point probably 20 years ago and thought he had some record fish and took it to game wardens in delaware city and they told him he better hopes it swims or he was facing a pretty steep fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Atlantic Sturgeon -- Delaware River population unique

The Delaware River has its own genetically unique population of Atlantic Sturgeon. The genetic line that can be found in the Delaware exists no where else, in no other River. Right now there is a petition to identify all atlantic sturgeon as endangered, or whether to list distinct population segments from particular rivers as endangered. Right now NMFS is lumping the Delaware in with the Hudson River population which is doing much better, number wise, than the Delaware population -- so if you lump the two together the Delaware River population looks healthier than it in fact is. By some estimates there are less than 100 Atlantic sturgeon in the Delaware River.

NMFS is accepting comment on the petition for endangered species act designation of the atlantic sturgeon in case folks want to comment. One of the most important things to say is that NMFS should either identify all atlantic sturgeon as endangered, but if they are not willing to do that, at a minimum the unique genetic population of the Delaware should be identified as just that, a distinct population and identified itself as endangered.

When i learned that we had our own genetic line of Atlantic sturgeon i was amazed. Just one more thing in the huge pile that makes the Delaware river and its fish so special.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
del river keeper,

I see this is your first post, - welcome aboard the Bass Barn.

I sure as heck hope they can hang on, and one day repopulate themselves.

From what i have read, its pretty clear the Del Bay has its own fish.
Would make sense considering the Bay was full of them 150 years ago.

Do you have an official position as a researcher??

Captn Joe - Offshore Forum Moderator

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
when they dredge del river they will wipe out any chance of them returning in numbers...they'll kill all the lower striper breeding grounds too, but hey we need super tankers to come to philly...pa gov rendell is a total a h, i say dredge his butt for oil...valdez in del bay is next!:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Atlantic sturgeon, research and deepening

What a great bunch you all are. I was so excited by the level of interest in our special atlantic sturgeon. I hope you are all writing letters to the national marine fisheries service on their behalf. they need you now. one more day for comments.

Captn Joe, thank you so much for the warm welcome. On the research side, while my organization has not commissioned any i do have some studies about the population and this genetic issue and can happily share them.

And i'm sure you all know my thinking on the deepening. the harm it will do to the fisheries and fishing in the river is being run roughshod over by project supporters. It's important we not let them get away with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A few years ago my son and I saw a very large one floating dead off of Fortescue. We stopped the boat to look at it. It had to be close to 200 lbs it was very cool looking. It looked like a propeller had hit it in the back of the head. I thought it was really a shame since the fish had to pretty old and I thought they were rare in the bay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.