BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out fluking yesterday less than a mile directly out from Manasquan Inlet and I caught an Atlantic sturgeon! It was 4-5 feet long and at least 50 pounds I'd say.

Anyone know anything about these fish? I've heard they live in the Hudson, but I was curious why they'd be down near Manasquan eating my squid/spearing combo!

I at least knew this was a protected species, so we didn't try to stick it (even though one of my buddies called for the gaff!). Tried to keep it right behind the boat while waiting for someone to dig out the camera, but it spit the hook and swam away unharmed.

This qualifies as the biggest oddball catch of my life! :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Interesting,,, Thanks for sharing that experience. I know that they mention (NJ Fish&Game)in every years rules and regs that there is NO Season and No Bag Limit with these guys.But It's the first that I have heard
someone catching one...

Nice Catch,,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Red,
I just saw a intersting article in the New
Fish & Wildlife Marine Issue about Sturgeon.
Here is the Link:
Profile:Del.Rv.Sturgeon

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
RED,
I saw one in the DB a couple of weeks ago. I have pics of my grandfather catching hundreds of these back 70 years ago.

Was it an atlantic or a short nose?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NS - Thanks for the article.

MargaritaVille - I believe it was an atlantic, especially after reading that article.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I heard rumors of them caught on the beach in Sandy Hook a few years ago. I didn't think they went down to Manasquan.

You have to go catch another one and get pictures for us.

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
I read somewhere that they are stocking them in the Delaware and Hudson rivers so we might see a few more.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
They are in the DB all year, some do illegally fish for them in the winter, they call it "Pink Meat". Once in awhile you'll see a carcus on the beach in the bay(usually winter time only). I understand there is a healthy fine for this, it probably should be bigger. Like Biggest said, they are coming up more and more in the gill nets.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
There just like the horseshoe crabs they don't exist. :D

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Seriously I wouldn't fool with them I would just cut the line and write the rig off. Man you could get yourself into one heck of a jam !!!!

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Wake up they don't exists.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Maybe the sturgeon are leaving the Del. River cause of the Oil spill!! ;)

That is a strange catch!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts