BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a Raymarine DS500X. Never really liked it all that much, but it worked ok. Major complaint was that I didn't like the way it did (or didn't) differentiate well between bluefish, bluefin, and bait balls. Could be just me not knowing how to properly work the machine, but my friend uses a Furuno FCV620, and of course I like the way his machine shows fish/bait much better.

In any event, broke a pin on the back of the unit while putting it back on the boat today, so I need something now. I'll probably ship this unit back to the factory (or wherever, could use a suggestion for that too) to get it fixed and keep as a spare, but I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade.

I spend a lot of time wreck fishing in 50'-100', A lot of time screwing around in 3' of water in the bay, a lot of time drifting the reefs for fluke, a lot of time anchored for bass in the whitewater, a lot of time trolling for bass in 20'-50', and 5-10 trips per year for inshore BFT. No canyon fishing on my boat.

Knowing that it's unlikely that any one unit will be perfect for everything I do, let's hear some suggestions for a good all around unit for the things I listed above.

Want to stay under $1,000 including the transducer. I'll install it myself.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had my ray marine unit fixed in your back yard.I cannot remember the name right at this moment but he is on the north side in front of a marina at the other end of the golf course. He fixed it right there and I was good to go. On the other hand I am with you on the upgrade,let me know what you get.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
90 views, and not one person has a suggestion/recommendation for a new unit? :confused:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I got the NSS7 but have not tested yet. This year will be my trials with it. I did however research them a lot, but I bought this unit for its GPS and upgradability over others.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
????

90 views, and not one person has a suggestion/recommendation for a new unit? :confused:
I have a Furuno color /model FCV-600L and a separate color Garmin chart plotter G.P.S. but both units are older. I like them both ,easy to use. I honestly don't have a clue what to tell you. I will say get the largest screen that you can .the #s are easier to see. Good luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lowrance has a $300 rebate for an HDS Gen2 unit and structurescan purchase going on till april 21.
you can usually find an HDS 7 for around 800-850 structurescan for around 500 -550 with the rebate subtract 300 and you are right in the ballpark you want to be
with an expandable display and structurescan for finding the inshore wrecks. I bought an HDS 8 in november and am very happy with it so far, but the price jump between the 7 and 8 is a couple hundred $

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
People want you fishing blind:D

For what it's worth, my last 2 combo units have been Humminbirds, and I have been satisfied. I'd say they're not adequate for the deep, but that's not where you are going.

Had the 797 SI, and liked it. I upgraded to the 898 SI for the bigger screen. My eyes simply are not what they used to be..

This is a good buy @ $650 http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ooglepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3830333432

HB's new 899 SI is lower priced than the discontinued 898. I'm not sure of the differences.

The Lowrance mentioned by d00bs24 sounds like a great deal also.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Do they even make larger stand alone sounders nowadays? Everything seems to have gone to combo units....it sucks for instances like this.

I'm not sure how they work in shallow water, but for differentiating fish in deeper water a CHIRP unit is the way to go, think HDTV for depth sounders.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I had my ray marine unit fixed in your back yard.I cannot remember the name right at this moment but he is on the north side in front of a marina at the other end of the golf course. He fixed it right there and I was good to go. On the other hand I am with you on the upgrade,let me know what you get.
Starboard Electronics. He used to be on route 9 where Worst Marine is now located. He has a sign on the marina that is there right around the corner from my boat Joe. I found you the Furuno 627 with ducer for 808 all in, just buy it and forget it.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
JZ

Call Chris over at the TackleDirect showroom ... He has been in the marine electronics business for years and can make a recommendation for you in your price range, and then help you with the whole process.

we just started with Marine electronics a few months ago and brought Chris in to ramp up the business .. He really knows his stuff. Handhelds, smaller bracket and flush mounts ... The works.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You should be able to find a FCV 585 in the 800 range I'd think these days since the newer models are out. Mine is paired to a B60 thru hull and it marks fish just fine.

These are 100 class bluefin inshore last year.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Joey I'm in the same boat. I've been researching the same thing for months! Too many options out there. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a hds7 touch. It's a little more than $1000 but looks the the best combo unit for the money. I thought real hard about the dragonfly too (half the price of the lowrance) there are some great write ups on them on another site (THT)

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Head is spinning soooooooooo bad from looking at soooooooooooooo many options in the last few days that I have no idea what I'm going to do.

But thanks for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I have one sitting in the box waiting to be installed. It was 1600.00with the structure scan bundle at Cabelas. Still debating on weather to install it myself or have Jimmy do it.
That's awesome. You'll love the unit.
I personally didn't want to mess with chaffing a wire or setting one of the transducers wrong.
Jimmy did a great job on my install and the transducer placement he set works perfect.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.