BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 33 Blackfin has fish boxes which do not hold ice well- since they are right above the engine compartment. I'd like to line them with a durable foam that will insulate well enough to keep ice and that I could glue in there permanently. It would have to be able to hold up to a bit of a beating without coming apart. Has anyone done this on their own boat or know of such a product? Also what kind of glue/epoxy should I use? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Maybe you can spray the box with closed cell polyurethane foam.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I got a high density foam insulation from a plumbing supply store and we glued and also wrapped them with duct tape around our in deck FB's in our Albemarle. It definetly improived how long our ice lasted, make sure you also cut a piece that fits the top of the box, we use velcro strips to attach them to the top lid, this really helps when the sun is burning down on the boxes, and we used a material we just take out and wipe down for these coffin covers as most guys call them., another thing we do is keep ice in a few coolers in the cabin. We keep it inside until we really need it. you can even use quality made insulated fish bags, which are easier to store if your tight on space.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
We have to boxes in the deck that were not insulated well at all . We used 1.5" hard foam insulation and then installed acrylic over that and silicone caulked the seams . Tested by putting one 8lb bag in during May , held for more then a day . Very happy , will be doing other side this spring . Was cheap for us as I have a bunch of 1/4" acrylic laying around . Im in Strathmere if you want to take a look , I may even be able to hook you up with some acrylic .

·
Registered
719 Posts
Fished with a guy this summer that cut foam insulation (looked to be about 2 inches thick) to line his boxes that were close to the engines. He labeled them with a marker as to where each piece went since they fit together a bit like a puzzle. They were easy to pull out and put back in when it was time for washdown. He said it helped quite a bit. Also, as someone said, don’t forget the lid/cover.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did mine last year. 1.5 inch pink foam board from HD covered with FRP same stuff they use for bathroom walls or showers easy to bend if the box is rounded, also if you need to bend the foam just score the back before bending, takes a little trial and error but the foam is pretty cheap. I used epoxy resin to glue it probably could use construction adhesive. You will lose some space if done on the inside but it works nicely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
97 Blackfin express

I have the combi Blackfin 33 and I was thinking of using thin foam duct insulation with the one side a sticky surface the other foil. Going to wrap around the boxes on the outsids. You can get it at Lowes and HD. It is thin enough to clear all bulkheads, hull and equipment. I'm pretty sure it would help a lot. I am going to further seal with duct tape at seams. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My 1997 33 Blackfin has fish boxes which do not hold ice well- since they are right above the engine compartment. I'd like to line them with a durable foam that will insulate well enough to keep ice and that I could glue in there permanently. It would have to be able to hold up to a bit of a beating without coming apart. Has anyone done this on their own boat or know of such a product? Also what kind of glue/epoxy should I use? Any help is appreciated!

If you have the room, id use 2 inch foam. I built a prototype two years ago and then last year the mongo box and 2 inch was perfect. If you are getting reasonable insulation, you can use 1 inch but Id go for the 2 inch, if you have room.

The 2 inch foam form the big box stores will epoxy well, but dont try to use the styrene poly resin or you will melt away...

If you already have the boxes, it should be simple. just PL const adhesive the foam to the cooler, then use any 1/4 cheapo ply and glue that down to the foam, and glass it.

Its easiest if you glass the wood first, then put them in and run a big fillet over all the edges. it will be bulletproof and your ice will last forever.

thats what id do

do you have a pic?

·
Registered
619 Posts
an easy fix without too many modifications to the box would be to buy a canyon type bag close to the size of the box and just put it in there and zip it closed.
they have pretty good insulation

otherwise you would have to line and glass over the current box and that will take forever.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
otherwise you would have to line and glass over the current box and that will take forever.
well almost forever.

why even try to do it right when you can write a check and get a fish bag.....:D

I've never used one but it seems odd that on a boat big enough to go where big fish live, there isn't a reasonable cooler thats built with enough foresight by the company that it could keep a fish and some ice cold for 48 hrs offshore. surely these companies know the guys that buy them take them offshore fishing.....???? right??? they have to? Or else they dont know and they are living in the stoneage and don't read fishing magazines. Or, they know these things, and dont care....

If they give the thru hulls, liner to hull connections, fasteners and everything else the same amount of thought as the fish boxes, well Id be scared to go out on them. my tiny boat has a 140 gallon fishbox that two big blocks fuse together in there, and it weighs 70 lbs. a 150 qt cooler weighs 34 lbs for one.... its really not that hard.. if i was still in NJ Id come show you

I HATE those deck jobs that the ice dissapears on and your fish bangs back and forth all day in the melted ice water beating itself up. I tell you I dont get it..... :nuts:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Call Albemarle, they will sell you a roll of insulation to wrap the exterior of the box. The stuff is great and actually thin, about 3/4 inch uncompressed. Black rubber on one side and foam on the other. Use rubber cement to glue the insulation to the exterior of the fishbox. This is what most big offshore manufacturers use, it's not cheap but in boating what is. They sell it by the foot and I think it comes in 4 foot widths. Very easy to work with. Good luck.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an insulated fish bag and have put it in the fish box in the past. The problem is that if you leave it there for over a day in the hot weather it gets all slimy and stinks on the outside. I'm going to try the foam.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Call Albemarle, they will sell you a roll of insulation to wrap the exterior of the box. The stuff is great and actually thin, about 3/4 inch uncompressed. Black rubber on one side and foam on the other. Use rubber cement to glue the insulation to the exterior of the fishbox. This is what most big offshore manufacturers use, it's not cheap but in boating what is. They sell it by the foot and I think it comes in 4 foot widths. Very easy to work with. Good luck.
Is this new stuff? We have a 2001 305 with what i think you're talking about and it really does NOT work. We're having the same problem as FishingLuhrs. We carry another large Igloo. When packed with ice it will stay for literally 48 hours. If we pack the in-deck fish box it's gone by the end of the trip.

This season we may try spray foam and then sand it down so the box slips into the deck.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
You can spray the exterior with pond waterfall foam. It is waterproof and sticks to almost any surface except silicone. It is like the spray insulation foam Great Stuff.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Use the hilti foam in a can. It's incredible. The sand it down to make a nice even fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts