BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer Flounder,Scup,& Black Sea Bass Draft Addendum XVIII for Public Comment / Meeting is coming to a close and the NJ meeting is less then a week away.

The public is encouraged to submit comments regarding this document,the final date comments will be accepted is Feb.17,2006.Comments may be submitted by mail,email,or fax.If you have any questions or would like to sumit comment,please us this contact information.
Mail:
Toni Kerns
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
1444 'Eye'Stree,Northwest #600
Washington, D.C. 20005
Email:
[email protected]
(subject line: Addendum XVIII)
Phone:
(202)289-6400
Fax:
(202)289-6051

The state of New Jersey has scheduled a date for a public meeting to gather comment.
New Jersey Div.of Fish & Wildlife
Feb.14, 2005 @7PM
101 Hooper Avenue Room 119
Toms River,NJ

[ 02-08-2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well i attended the meeting last night as i did for the weakfish meeting and its the same old stroy about having a major lack of CORRECT data. There were good points made about giving the failing complianing states a needed hand by giving our under fished quota and good points not to . It seems to boil down to meeting a quota by the year 2010 to have the stocks rebuilt to i think two hundred and ten million pounds. With that said and mind you i'm no college educated man , wouldn't reducing the size limit give the recreational fisherman the chance to get his catch and actually reduce the the ever increasing throwback mortality rate therefore rebuilding the stock faster then we currently are doing ?????

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Did they did decide to share our under fished quota of fluke to the 3 northern states or is that up to NJ???????

[ 02-15-2006, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Captblock ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honduro,
Thanks for that information and attending the meeting...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sure a decision was made before the meeting last night . They tried to explain their position and didn"t say what the decision was but it will be voted on in a future meeting by the opening of the fluke season . From my understanding this should have no effect on the current size and quota but with that said they are saying we are behind schedual for meeting the mark for the 2010 season and that may have a drastic effect for the future . N.J. has taken a very conservative approach in the last three years when infact we could been more liberal and have relaxed the size and quota . We have three states that are not incompliance ( New York , Conn. and Mass. ) who in according to the management have over fished there Quota's by a signifigant amount but after being at two meetings and hearing how data is collected I'm seriously questioning if they were . Please remember these are soley my comments and may reflect this web site position . Thanks Dennis Reilly

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm assuming (yes I know what assume means) that if the target is not reached in 2010 the Commission will have to regroup and set a new target and year. I have stated that maybe we set the present target too high or we are trying to reach it too soon at the expense of our fishing communities (commercial & recreational). I believe that if we take a little longer to reach the target and allow more fish to be caught in the mean time this will be better for all involved. Then there is the question which has been raised at several of the Commission Boards "can we bring all of the different stocks to their optimum biomass at the same time"?

Originally posted by honduro:
I'm sure a decision was made before the meeting last night .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aint that the truth!
I'm curious, who made the decision and what was it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.