BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any guesses on what the regs will be for summer flounder this year? Hope it starts a little sooner in may this year, I like to fish the back waters first thing in may, bucktailing for them. Any thoughts on wheather they will decrease take limits or increase size from 16.5"? I hope they even will come in this year, last sping and summer stunk compared to previous years I thought for the back.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I thought the back waters were more productive espically on the flats.I had a banner year for once although i don't remember catching any weakies.I fish Ocean City region.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Look for the regs to be about the same, size limits and bag limits should not change. Might be a slight adjustment on the season if anything happens. We overfished last year by about 9% (not sure of the exact number) and got a quota increase which brought us up maybe 1% or 2% under(not sure of that exact number either). The percent standard error is so high that any significant change could have serious conquences in 06'.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
511 Fluke with 81 keepers in Ocean City area last year
trick was finding them in unusual locations

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
OVERFISHED by whos calculations. last year was the worst flounder fishing i have had in 30yrs an
i am only 40.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I would have to say that fluke fishing was slow last year. But some nicer fish were caught. You have to work harder for them. Weakfish what is that ? Only caught the barely legal ones in the ocean, late season last year.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Think Ristori predicted no increase in size and no change on bag limit. I would like to see them do away with an October closing and have it from May to the end of the year. However, seems like past two years, we lost fall fishery as soon as we had offshore tropical storms in September.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Yeah it was over by the end of Aug. last year...Went from catching and keeping 56 keepers for a charter one day...to a 5 degree temp drop and catching 10 throwbacks the next!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had a horrible flounder season in 04. I think I had maybe 4 or 5 keepers. I tried every spot I knew. Guess its time to look other areas to fish. I caught tons of flounder but all were small.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anybody aware of the new addendum (still in draft form) by the ASMFC calling for a change in recreational fluke regulations from state by state to regional?

It's being pushed by the state of NY predominately, although DE expressed an interest as well (to have the same size limits in the Delaware Bay).

I read their last meeting minutes on it - Gordon Colvin of NY was of the belief that it could in fact go out for public comment and be passed in time for this years fluke season. Don't know if that in fact is true, but they will certainly try to get it in place for '06.

It was inevitable that this day would come. Many states are not happy about NJ's 16 1/2 inch size limit compared to their own 17 and up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here is the meeting agenda on the addendum and yes it does appear that there is enough time to get it through for this years regulations if the action taken on Monday passes it to go out for public comment.

From the ASMFC website:

SUMMER FLOUNDER, BLACK SEA BASS, AND SCUP MANAGEMENT BOARD
February 7, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Draft Agenda
2:15-5:15 pm

6. Review Addendum XVII, Action

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'd like to see the 17 inch rule go into effect. Last year, the numbers weren't there, but the few that I did get to keep were well over 21 inches. I also think that lowering the limit to 5 would help to ensure that we have plenty for years to come. 5 keeper flounder is plenty of meat. Just my cents.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree 5 keepers is plenty. How many times does one fisherman get to have 8 keepers??? Me, I have never done that, my most was 5 and that was 5 years ago. They should keep it at 16 1/2.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I could have had a few days limited out but I never keep that many. Too much cleaning for me. With guest onboard and work at it you could be cleaning 24+fish. Thats too much for me. 5 per angler is plenty....but then again I get out there a few times a week whereas some only get to go a few times a year and would luv getting 8 per person. The bag limit has to take into account for those who only go a few times a year. Those who go weekly probably already pick the fewer and larger fish to clean. I know I do....it's gotta be 20"+ for me to usually fillet up unless I don't have any in the freezer.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Oh and don't forget that the min size and bag limits almost never retreat. Once you give it up its usually gone forever. How many times do you see the regs changing to say you can keep smaller fish and more of them???

·
Banned
13,499 Posts
I agree 8 is too many, 5 is a good number. Not sure about the 16 1/2.....if they lower the bag limit 16 would work...if they keep the bag limit at 8 I'd like to see the keeper size increased.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Don't count on my vote for cutting the flounder limits. Why anyone would want to lower our limits even more is beyond me. Since I have started fishing I have watched the flounder bag limit shrink, size limit go up, a flounder season put into place and all seem to change for the worse as each year passes.
There is never any shortage of flounder in the markets for $10.00 lb and I can buy as many as I want. Lower the commercial limits before anyone has any bright ideas to take from the recreational catch again.
Anyone heard any news about the 50/50 split proposal of the flounder fishery?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts